FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   [EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1182580-expired-fee-waived-us-airways-card-30k-10k-anniversary.html)

scwam Mar 5, 2011 5:31 pm

deleted

frank_10b Mar 5, 2011 6:25 pm

Wow, that is distrubing news about chase CO cc, better cancel before its too late eh...

UA Fan Mar 6, 2011 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by JCary (Post 15941940)
Is it true that only AA members with status get premier world card?
Has anybody received premier card (35K bonus) without having any status with AA? Thanks!

What do you mean by AA? Isn't this a thread of a US card?

Originally Posted by frank_10b (Post 15982239)
Wow, that is distrubing news about chase CO cc, better cancel before its too late eh...

Sorry, may I know what is the bad news?

azurfire Mar 7, 2011 4:16 pm

Hey Folks,
Long time flyertalk reader, but first time to post. Figured I'd share my experience with the Barclay's US Air 35k bonus offer in case there are a few folks out there in my shoes.
I was already a Barclay's US Air Masterard Premier World holder (since January 2010) prior to this new offer, so I called Barclay's to see if they could amend my current card terms to include the 10,000 anniversary miles with each year of annual fee paid. I then tried to negotiate waiving of the annual fee, which they refused, so I canceled the card to avoid the annual fee. This was in mid January 2011.
About a day later, I decided to re-apply for the card under the new offer terms not really expecting it to work. To my surprise, I was approved. I still didn't think I'd get the bonus miles, but 35,000 bonus miles posted mid February 2011. YMMV, but it seems Barclay's really doesn't look too far back for deciding who/who doesn't get a bonus. Good luck!

glennaa11 Mar 7, 2011 7:42 pm

for those of you who received the Platinum card, what did the "congratulations" email you received say?

I am guess I will be getting the premier card (35K bonus) based on what has been written above...that my "Program Overview" makes no mention of bonus miles and most importantly that my welcome email mentions the certificate good for two $99 companion tickets along with First Class check-in and Zone 2 boarding. It looks like those do not apply to the Platinum card.

I know it sucks to not get approved for the main offer. But the T&Cs are pretty clear that you may end up with the Platinum card and only a 10K bonus if they do not approve you for the Premier card. I guess it would be nice to allow you to decline if they only approve you for the lower level.

Also, the 10K bonus miles every year in exchange for the $89 fee seems like a pretty good deal at .89cpm. You would pay $275 to buy that many miles at the current rate. So even the free 10K miles for the Platinum card has some value.

tothetrail Mar 8, 2011 7:24 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11 (Post 15993484)
for those of you who received the Platinum card, what did the "congratulations" email you received say?

I am guess I will be getting the premier card (35K bonus) based on what has been written above...that my "Program Overview" makes no mention of bonus miles and most importantly that my welcome email mentions the certificate good for two $99 companion tickets along with First Class check-in and Zone 2 boarding. It looks like those do not apply to the Platinum card.

I know it sucks to not get approved for the main offer. But the T&Cs are pretty clear that you may end up with the Platinum card and only a 10K bonus if they do not approve you for the Premier card. I guess it would be nice to allow you to decline if they only approve you for the lower level.

Also, the 10K bonus miles every year in exchange for the $89 fee seems like a pretty good deal at .89cpm. You would pay $275 to buy that many miles at the current rate. So even the free 10K miles for the Platinum card has some value.

I got the same email as you and received the Premier World card.

benmaller Mar 8, 2011 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11 (Post 15993484)

Platinum cards do not get 10K bonus miles each year.

glennaa11 Mar 8, 2011 5:41 pm

right, but it does get a 10K sign up bonus though.

chemist661 Mar 9, 2011 11:57 pm

Got the Platinum card. :td: Disappointed in $3200 limit. Have several cards with 20K limits.

Decent income (over 100K), 18 yrs same job, FICO's 750-800. Sent secure e-mail mentioning my disappointment of getting only Plat card.

booyaa Mar 9, 2011 11:57 pm

I thought those days were over, but guess not. I should have read, now I wasted a hard pull.

Per TC:

This offer is available only to applicants who are permanent residents of the United States, with the exception of Puerto Rico.
Two years ago Discover had same rules, but they turned around and realized how much business I would bring them. Apparently Barclays's not there yet. When permanent residency is required, usually issuers will ask the question in the application itself with a note indicating it's only for permanent residents or citizens, instead of "tricking" you into submitting application. Evil.

This corresponds with people asked to have their green card/passport copies sent for verification.

GamecockFan Mar 10, 2011 4:55 am

I got my 35,000 miles yesterday. :D

honu Mar 10, 2011 11:06 am

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 16007115)
I thought those days were over, but guess not. I should have read, now I wasted a hard pull.

Per TC:

Two years ago Discover had same rules, but they turned around and realized how much business I would bring them. Apparently Barclays's not there yet. When permanent residency is required, usually issuers will ask the question in the application itself with a note indicating it's only for permanent residents or citizens, instead of "tricking" you into submitting application. Evil.

This corresponds with people asked to have their green card/passport copies sent for verification.

It's actually worse than that. According to my friend, whom I encouraged to apply because I didn't know better, permanent residence is not enough and only citizens qualify. She was asked for a copy of birth certificate or voter registration card, and she offered to send a copy of her green card and/or SS card, but that wasn't enough for Barclay's.

booyaa Mar 10, 2011 11:09 am

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 16007115)

Per TC:

Yup, just called. They are asking for passport/green card/birth certificate, etc. One of the things that triggered that is a 20 year or more variance between obtaining a social security number and your birth date. Mine is more like 19 years and still triggered it. According to the rep, even when there's no 20+ year variance, sometimes they will still require the above proof for permanent residency or citizenship, I'm guessing like others have said, based on your last name, which is quite discriminating IMHO.

booyaa Mar 10, 2011 11:12 am

Originally Posted by honu (Post 16010010)
It's actually worse than that. According to my friend, whom I encouraged to apply because I didn't know better, permanent residence is not enough and only citizens qualify. She was asked for a copy of birth certificate or voter registration card, and she offered to send a copy of her green card and/or SS card, but that wasn't enough for Barclay's.

Ouch. Yea, I won't be doing any business with them in the near future. Good thing I applied for personal and business together, so hopefully only triggered one hard pull. Still wasted a pull nonetheless, but I should have read the TCs. Lesson learned.

mnscout Mar 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Nailed it. Just received the card in the mail, called to activate and confirmed 35K points. One thing I didn't like though, was that CSR refused to give the timeframe for when the miles will be posted after the purchase. Thanks, OP.