Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 1:52 pm

If the miles have posted to your US account they won't be taken away. That said, why close your card now? Wait for the 10K bonus at anniversary. The 10K at anniversary is worth more than the annual fee, and you may even get the 10K for free if they post to your account before your annual fee hits.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by fishdance
Dumb question. If I cancel this credit card after 3 month will my miles be revoked? Im pretty sure answer is ”no” but want to double check before I cancel this useless card.
That is a good question. I re-read the terms and conditions. It does say that the card has to be used at least once every 6 months to remain in good standing, but it does not say how long the account has to remain open.

It is rare, but several posters on this board have had miles/points removed from their accounts for closing the card too soon. But I think it has to be stated in the terms and conditions. YMMV

Why not just keep it open for a little over 6 months just in case?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Dumb question. If I cancel this credit card after 3 month will my miles be revoked? Im pretty sure answer is ”no” but want to double check before I cancel this useless card.
I'm assuming from your post that you don't intend to use the miles on US flights but with other *A carriers.

Of course, if you were going to use the miles on US flights, holding the card means you get a 5K discount on any award that uses only US metal--meaning that you can do a flight to Europe during most of January and February in business class for 55K or in economy for 30K rather than 60K and 35K. Plus, lots of economy domestic redemptions become 20K rather than 25K.

As I said, useful only if you intend to take award flights with US.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:19 pm

I'm not sure if the actual answer, but...

Why do you want to cancel this card so early? Why not just sockdrawer it and set a reminder to cancel the card when the annual fee is due?

You lower your credit score because the average age of your accounts becomes much shorter (averaging in 3 months instead of a year).

You miss out on the 10k bonus anniversary miles.

You miss out on the potential mile bonuses due to inactivity from the card.

Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Originally Posted by tearex
I'm not sure if the actual answer, but...

Why do you want to cancel this card so early? Why not just sockdrawer it and set a reminder to cancel the card when the annual fee is due?

You lower your credit score because the average age of your accounts becomes much shorter (averaging in 3 months instead of a year).

You miss out on the 10k bonus anniversary miles.

You miss out on the potential mile bonuses due to inactivity from the card.

So here’s my situation. I have 8 credit cards as of today and need to trim down for next round of applications. This is my second US Air card so I had about 80K in my account. I have used those miles to book trip to Asia for March 2013, so I have 300 miles left or something like that. I seriously doubt I will ever fly US Air and 10K will not do me any good. I assume 10K bonus is not calendar year, right? So basically I just want to cut down to 3 or 4 cards and wait 90 days so I can apply for new cards. What would you do? I definitely want to keep Ritz card and BA since Im due another 50K on it. Also keeping AA Biz and probably Hilton Visa. What do you think?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I have 8 credit cards as of today and need to trim down for next round of applications.
Why do you believe that?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:53 pm

So here’s my situation. I have 8 credit cards as of today and need to trim down for next round of applications. This is my second US Air card so I had about 80K in my account. I have used those miles to book trip to Asia for March 2013, so I have 300 miles left or something like that. I seriously doubt I will ever fly US Air and 10K will not do me any good. I assume 10K bonus is not calendar year, right? So basically I just want to cut down to 3 or 4 cards and wait 90 days so I can apply for new cards. What would you do? I definitely want to keep Ritz card and BA since Im due another 50K on it. Also keeping AA Biz and probably Hilton Visa. What do you think?

Closing cards will lower your credit score. I have a lot more than 8 credit cards. Why do you think that 8 is your limit?

A lot of churners here prefer to keep accounts open for at least 6 + months. There is a concern of being labeled a churner. If a credit card company sees that you open and close accounts frequently, then it may affect the ability to get cards in the future. Specifically, Barklays is a tougher company to get cards with. Chase also has been known to reject future cards for people who have a track record of closing accounts with them quickly after getting the bonus.

YMMV
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:16 pm

+1 to what jeanie said.

Like I said, closing your account early shortens your age of accounts history. Closing multiple cards with short history is even worse.

Then there's the double whammy of reducing your overall approved credit AND an increase your credit utilization ratio.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:40 pm

I guess I was wrong than. The reason I was thinking it would help is because of my recent experience with Chase reconsideration rep who was questioning me why I have so many cards open and 11 application in past 18 months. What do you guys say when questioned?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by tearex
+1 to what jeanie said.

Like I said, closing your account early shortens your age of accounts history. Closing multiple cards with short history is even worse.

Then there's the double whammy of reducing your overall approved credit AND an increase your credit utilization ratio.
I think you guys are wrong - closing accounts with short history actually increases you average account history if you have some older accounts.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:52 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
The reason I was thinking it would help is because of my recent experience with Chase reconsideration rep who was questioning me why I have so many cards open and 11 application in past 18 months. What do you guys say when questioned?
That I'm still trying to decide which miles and points will work best for my travels; that I don't particularly like some of the cards I've received from other issuers recently; that I'm fine with splitting my existing credit rather than allocating brand new credit; etc.

And then I slow down for a little while so the questions go away next time.

Originally Posted by drminn
I think you guys are wrong - closing accounts with short history actually increases you average account history if you have some older accounts.
Why do you think that? Please show your work.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I guess I was wrong than. The reason I was thinking it would help is because of my recent experience with Chase reconsideration rep who was questioning me why I have so many cards open and 11 application in past 18 months. What do you guys say when questioned?
If you stop for a second and think about the benefits offered with many cards, you can generally find a benefit that many overlook when they apply. Most folks look only at the miles/points offered. With some cards (UA Explorer), it's better rental car protection. You don't rent cars? Chase doesn't know that! With some applications for duplicate cards, it's separating business from personal expenses (well detailed throughout this thread).

Yes, your primary purpose is to get miles/points. But, you'll meet your primary purpose by having a lot of other reasons that you can express as to why you want the card.

That's the great thing about doing a little research around FT. You'll see the accumulation of arguments that tend to work so that when you have the inevitable conversation with a CSR about getting your 10th, 20th, or 30th card, you can say something that makes them think you really want the card for some reason other than the obvious. Keep in mind that financial companies have a bias in favor of selling their products; they just want to be fooled into believing that you're sincere in taking it.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
If you stop for a second and think about the benefits offered with many cards, you can generally find a benefit that many overlook when they apply. Most folks look only at the miles/points offered. With some cards (UA Explorer), it's better rental car protection. You don't rent cars? Chase doesn't know that! With some applications for duplicate cards, it's separating business from personal expenses (well detailed throughout this thread).

Yes, your primary purpose is to get miles/points. But, you'll meet your primary purpose by having a lot of other reasons that you can express as to why you want the card.

That's the great thing about doing a little research around FT. You'll see the accumulation of arguments that tend to work so that when you have the inevitable conversation with a CSR about getting your 10th, 20th, or 30th card, you can say something that makes them think you really want the card for some reason other than the obvious. Keep in mind that financial companies have a bias in favor of selling their products; they just want to be fooled into believing that you're sincere in taking it.
I actually did say that I would like to keep some cards over others. Cards like Ritz or Citi AA.
This US Air card is really not for me. Im not anywhere near their hubs and I already spent 80K miles on my tickets to Asia. I don’t know what else would make this card superior over other.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:41 pm

I actually did say that I would like to keep some cards over others. Cards like Ritz or Citi AA.
This US Air card is really not for me. Im not anywhere near their hubs and I already spent 80K miles on my tickets to Asia. I don’t know what else would make this card superior over other.
Okay, I'll bring up the elephant in the room. A large number of industry analysts believe that US Air will be successful in their takeover/merger with AA. So this card actually is better in many ways than the Citi AA card. 40k miles upon the first purchase to many people is better than the minimum spend required for the Citi cards.

If you keep the card for a few more months, you could get an offer for 15k miles for spending $750 in each of 3 consecutive months. Again, there is a decent shot these could become AA miles in the future.

AA is fighting the merger for many reasons. But ultimately, it could become a hostile takeover with AA having no say in the matter.

Last advice, if you really want to close it, just stop answering people on this thread and do what you want to do anyway.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by drminn
Basic math.

Let's say I have 5 accounts.

(Summation of year accounts has been open)/number of accounts = average age of accounts

Scenario 1:

(10 + 5 + 1 +1 + 1)/5 = 3.6 years

Scenario 2:

(10 + 5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5)/5 = 3.3 years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.