Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Which Canadian credit card should I get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Which Canadian credit card should I get?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan, Marriott, x,Hilton
I live in Canada and have, for a long time, collected Avion points thru RBC and transferred twice a year to BAEC getting the 50% bonus at that time. It's worked pretty well for me except for the terrible costs that BA seems to charge for redemptions. I have recently booked flights to Asia using my Avios points in J Class on CX and this has left me pretty low. We normally use our points for long haul flights in J and pay for economy on shorter ones.

My question is should I continue to transfer to Avios or should I consider transferring to AA instead. Transferring to AA I would get a 25% bonus. The next major trip we will be planning is to Europe. I tried a dummy booking for next year on AA to Europe and there seemed little availability in J. I did find the redemption process a bit confusing.

I also have the TD aeroplan card and sometimes use those points for short haul flights. I'm also considering picking up an Alaska airlines card just for the yearly partner flights and because we regularly fly Alaska to Mexico about once a year.

I'd really appreciate some expert advice.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by RTLS
I live in Canada and have, for a long time, collected Avion points thru RBC and transferred twice a year to BAEC getting the 50% bonus at that time. It's worked pretty well for me except for the terrible costs that BA seems to charge for redemptions. I have recently booked flights to Asia using my Avios points in J Class on CX and this has left me pretty low. We normally use our points for long haul flights in J and pay for economy on shorter ones.

My question is should I continue to transfer to Avios or should I consider transferring to AA instead. Transferring to AA I would get a 25% bonus. The next major trip we will be planning is to Europe. I tried a dummy booking for next year on AA to Europe and there seemed little availability in J. I did find the redemption process a bit confusing.

I also have the TD aeroplan card and sometimes use those points for short haul flights. I'm also considering picking up an Alaska airlines card just for the yearly partner flights and because we regularly fly Alaska to Mexico about once a year.

The problem is that AA levies fuel surcharges on British Airways flights as well. If you're going to Europe, Aeroplan and Star Alliance is a LOT stronger program, and only 90k in J to europe with 2 stopovers. Have you looked at any AMEX cards?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
The problem is that AA levies fuel surcharges on British Airways flights as well. If you're going to Europe, Aeroplan and Star Alliance is a LOT stronger program, and only 90k in J to europe with 2 stopovers. Have you looked at any AMEX cards?
I didn't realize that AA levies those charges on BA flights as well. I have heard anecdotally from friends that it's very difficult to book J flights to Europe thru aeroplan which is why I haven't really been concentrating on building up my aeroplan points. But maybe I should do just that.

We have the Avion cards with our banking package - 2 cards with no annual fee - which is why we've been using them for a long time and haven't checked into AMEX but I think we should probably do so.

Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:52 am

I didn't realize that AA levies those charges on BA flights as well. I have heard anecdotally from friends that it's very difficult to book J flights to Europe thru aeroplan which is why I haven't really been concentrating on building up my aeroplan points. But maybe I should do just that.

We have the Avion cards with our banking package - 2 cards with no annual fee - which is why we've been using them for a long time and haven't checked into AMEX but I think we should probably do so.

Thanks
I think using AA miles in Canada to anywhere is as difficult

No surprise, you see many BA flights available for redemption because people avoid them, just like people avoid AC/LH on the Star Alliance side

For sure look into AMEX Canada cards, they remain the most competitive "welcome offers", like 25K AMEX MR and 30K Aeroplan FOR FREE (no fee 1st year), 55K Aeroplan is almost enough for 1 Europe round-trip in Economy (60K Y/90K J)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung

No surprise, you see many BA flights available for redemption because people avoid them, just like people avoid AC/LH on the Star Alliance side

For sure look into AMEX Canada cards, they remain the most competitive "welcome offers", like 25K AMEX MR and 30K Aeroplan FOR FREE (no fee 1st year), 55K Aeroplan is almost enough for 1 Europe round-trip in Economy (60K Y/90K J)
Forgive me if I should be posting this follow up somewhere else. After your comments, I am strongly considering getting one of the AMEX cards. My question is if I want to book using Aeroplan points but not using Air Canada can I do it on line in some way or do I phone Aeroplan?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: *void
Forgive me if I should be posting this follow up somewhere else. After your comments, I am strongly considering getting one of the AMEX cards. My question is if I want to book using Aeroplan points but not using Air Canada can I do it on line in some way or do I phone Aeroplan?
You can book with any Star Alliance carrier...finding availability, on low scamcharging airlines, with short booking windows, is a challenge but one that can be overcome with some homework and effort on your part to start looking half a year ahead, or so.

You can do it yourself, for simple itineraries, or you can call Aeroplan and pay $30 / ticket to get them to help you. Most/many people will look on their own and carve out an itinerary and then get the Aeroplan rep to help finalize a complicated booking, which you cannot do on your own online.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:23 pm

JJ explained very well above

Just make sure you get the best AMEX Welcome bonus FOR YOU
AMEX Gold - 25K AMEX MR either way, so you can go through www.GCR.ca for $50 cashback + 25K AMEX MR...unless you know someone to refer you

AMEX Aeroplan - 30K via referral, so ask a friend/family/someone for that referral link

There are tons of Aeroplan guides to assist you, or read this Wiki/FAQ
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...forum-faq.html
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I'm taking your statement to mean premium long-haul. I mostly agree, but don't forget EY, either from YYZ or through one of US airports, which has very good availability.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:19 pm

AA redemptions from Toronto are GREAT

Originally Posted by nabeelj
I'm taking your statement to mean premium long-haul. I mostly agree, but don't forget EY, either from YYZ or through one of US airports, which has very good availability.
I disagree wioth both of you, sorry to say.

My experience booking J on Cathay to BKK has been excellent. Learning the timing of when they release seats is key. If you insist on having a confirmed booking weeks (or months!) before travel, then you're going to have frustration. But if you accept that they release unsold J seats in the five days (or two days sometimes) before the flight, then you can grab J seats YYZ-HKG-??? on Cathay with $124 taxes roundtrip. This is my favourite approach to Bangkok. Sometimes I'll go oneway and look for homebound travel in the last days before coming home. Takes a bit of nerve, but always rewards me for that.

The other thing to consider is value. If you earn some of your miles by flying on paid tickets, AAdvantage is the best in the market once you're Platinum or higher on AA. You earn 40,000 redeemable miles for each properly constructed Asia roundtrip. Try that on deep-discount Air Canada tickets.

I agree, though, that the easiest loyalty points in Canada are Membership Rewards points from American Express, which I mostly convert to Aeropesos, keeping a few in Avios for quickies to New York and Chicago.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:29 pm

AA redemptions from Toronto are GREAT

Originally Posted by nabeelj
I disagree wioth both of you, sorry to say.

My experience booking J on Cathay to BKK has been excellent. Learning the timing of when they release seats is key. If you insist on having a confirmed booking weeks (or months!) before travel, then you're going to have frustration. But if you accept that they release unsold J seats in the five days (or two days sometimes) before the flight, then you can grab J seats YYZ-HKG-??? on Cathay with $124 taxes roundtrip. This is my favourite approach to Bangkok. Sometimes I'll go oneway and look for homebound travel in the last days before coming home. Takes a bit of nerve, but always rewards me for that.

The other thing to consider is value. If you earn some of your miles by flying on paid tickets, AAdvantage is the best in the market once you're Platinum or higher on AA. You earn 40,000 redeemable miles for each properly constructed Asia roundtrip. Try that on deep-discount Air Canada tickets.

I agree, though, that the easiest loyalty points in Canada are Membership Rewards points from American Express, which I mostly convert to Aeropesos, keeping a few in Avios for quickies to New York and Chicago.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:42 am

you can pay your income tax though www.plastiq.com. Fee for using an Amex is 1.99% and usually the same for MC but right now for this tax season, they have a promotion. Use your MC, pay only 1%.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:52 pm

Keep your RBC Avion card, and keep transferring those points to Avios at bonus time. BUT - instead of redeeming on CX or AA, redeem on Alaska for short(er) flights that may be expensive to purchase - esp. if you can swing domestic flights from US airports. You only pay the domestic tax (which is usually $5 a ticket) and forfeit the taxes only if you need to cancel (no $55 BAEC cancel fee or the dreaded $120 cancel fee if you choose to get an Alaska CC, redeem with them and then cancel/change within 60 days of travel).

Alaska is great for our family (we've flown to LA a few times, Hawaii, Vegas and quick jumps to Portland) and availability is always plentiful (except Hawaii, which can be challenging for 4 tickets during the peak times we travel). I am waiting for the ball to drop on this one, because honestly, it's too good to be true...

For your Asia flights, consider using Aeroplans on partner airlines that don't charge scamcharges. I am no expert on this because I don't fly to Asia, but I've read tons about it and there's lots of good advice on the Aeroplan forum about this PLUS have a ton of Aeroplans to be put to good use next summer to Europe on United and Scandinavian Airlines.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: Canadian
What do you think the Canadian lending?

Originally Posted by Laura8
I'm wanting to get a new credit card where I can earn miles/points. I don't spend that much per year (so I know it will take a while to earn enough miles for a trip from North America to Europe), and I don't want to spent over ~$50 a year in fees. Which card would you reccomend? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.