Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Authorized Users / Additional Cardholders / Joint Accounts / AU [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This is a recently created consolidated thread, to combine knowledge and insight regarding Authorized User accounts in one place.

We are looking for a volunteer(s) to summarize the valuable information in this thread.

If you are such a volunteer, edit this WikiPost with what you've learned.
Print Wikipost

Authorized Users / Additional Cardholders / Joint Accounts / AU [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Chase's United card has a 5K premium for adding an auth user.
Old May 19, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
You are welcome, and you are right that it should only be done with someone you trust.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
Originally Posted by worldiswide
You are welcome, and you are right that it should only be done with someone you trust.
My dog used to have his own credit card. I don't think it ever showed up on his credit report.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:46 am

Consequences of authorized user status?

What is the current consensus around whether or not being an authorized user affects hard credit pulls and/or future card eligibility?

My specific situation is this: my wife and I both jumped on the Sapphire deal recently. I'm a little concerned about hitting the spend for both of us unless I enlist my wife to spend on my card as well as hers since she does most of the household spending. I'm considering adding her to my account as an authorized user. I do NOT want either of the following to happen, however:
1) a new hard credit pull hitting her report thus restarting the approx 90 day timer before I do another churn in her name
2) for Chase to consider that a "card in her name" when they do their "too many cards already" calculation for future applications

Any info would be most appreciated.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I would call Chase and ask them. Most banks do not pull a credit report on an additional user. You can try to do it online first & if they don't ask for a SS# you're golden.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by LarzMN
What is the current consensus around whether or not being an authorized user affects hard credit pulls and/or future card eligibility?

My specific situation is this: my wife and I both jumped on the Sapphire deal recently. I'm a little concerned about hitting the spend for both of us unless I enlist my wife to spend on my card as well as hers since she does most of the household spending. I'm considering adding her to my account as an authorized user. I do NOT want either of the following to happen, however:
1) a new hard credit pull hitting her report thus restarting the approx 90 day timer before I do another churn in her name
2) for Chase to consider that a "card in her name" when they do their "too many cards already" calculation for future applications

Any info would be most appreciated.
Or another approach is to make one trip to a store she shops at a lot (e.g. Walmart) and buy a lot of gift cards on your credit card. Then your wife could spend those instead of spending as an authorized user on your account.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LarzMN
I'm a little concerned about hitting the spend for both of us unless I enlist my wife to spend on my card as well as hers since she does most of the household spending.
Or just ignore the name on the card. Works especially well in places with a self-checkout or other swiping method. And even in other places, clerks rarely check the name anymore. And usually accept the explanation "oh, it's my husband's card".

I routinely do this with my wife's cards and can think of only a handful of times it was an issue (just used one of my cards then).
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Flyer737
Or another approach is to make one trip to a store she shops at a lot (e.g. Walmart) and buy a lot of gift cards on your credit card. Then your wife could spend those instead of spending as an authorized user on your account.
If you go that route, I would go with the AMEX GC via Big Crumbs.. gives more universality to spending options vs. just the grocery..
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:57 am

adding family as authorized users help them?

Most of my family has pretty poor credit. Mines really good. Can I add them as authorized users to help them out? Does it hurt me at all?...I probably wouldn't give them the cards.

Oh, also, if I cancel the account all the cards are canceled right? I don't need to worry about annual fees or anything right?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Being an authorized user does not help their credit score - at least the last time I checked.

I believe they have to be co-owners on the card with you. Therefore, you'd be linking your credit history to theirs. If they have none, they get the benefit from you, if you have a good score. If they have a bad score, it will impact you negatively.

It also hurts you if they go on a shopping spree and don't pay up
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by guitman03
Most of my family has pretty poor credit. Mines really good. Can I add them as authorized users to help them out? Does it hurt me at all?...I probably wouldn't give them the cards.

Oh, also, if I cancel the account all the cards are canceled right? I don't need to worry about annual fees or anything right?
Helping people who have poor credit habits get more credit is probably not really helping them.

The credit bureaus used to report authorized user accounts as though the account directly belonged to the AU. Due to the rampant use of AU accounts to manipulate credit history and scores the credit bureaus now note which accounts are just AU accounts and they don't have the positive impact they used to have.

As for your concerns, people don't need the physical credit card to make purchases and it is always possible, as an AU, for them to call the bank and request another card.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by dweick
Helping people who have poor credit habits get more credit is probably not really helping them.

The credit bureaus used to report authorized user accounts as though the account directly belonged to the AU. Due to the rampant use of AU accounts to manipulate credit history and scores the credit bureaus now note which accounts are just AU accounts and they don't have the positive impact they used to have.

As for your concerns, people don't need the physical credit card to make purchases and it is always possible, as an AU, for them to call the bank and request another card.
Some banks (Citi first comes to mind) gives you an option whether to issue a credit card to an authorized user. If you (an account owner) indicate to Citi when adding an authorized user you don't want an actual card to be issued, I doubt the bank will issue one even if AU calls the bank.

Another type of protection some banks apply (I don't remember exactly which banks - for some reason Chase comes to mind but don't my word for it) is always mailing AU cards to the address of the primary owner. So unless your family leaves at the same address or otherwise has access to your mail, calling the bank will not help them either as any card they request to be issued will be mailed to you and you will have control whether to give it to an AU or not.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by guitman03

I have used the AU trick to establish very good credit history for two of my family members. Just make sure you attach their SSN to the AU account. Also make sure they don't get the card if they can't use it responsibly. Otherwise it will hurt your credit history. Some card do charge extra fee for AU.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 3:24 pm
Formerly known as gwhit21

Programs: All of them.
"Authorized user" help my credit history recover from churning?

I have a good credit score, but my credit history is lacking from the churning of my cards. Also, Chase is forcing me close certain cards to open new accounts, very frustrating. My wife has had a credit card that has been open forever, but she never uses it. Would it help my c.c. history and overall my credit score if she added me on as an authorized user? I appreciate any knowledge on the matter, thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 3:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

gwhit21's question has been merged with a half-dozen recent discussions of related questions. Reviewing the older posts should provide some guidance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.