Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Authorized Users / Additional Cardholders / Joint Accounts / AU [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This is a recently created consolidated thread, to combine knowledge and insight regarding Authorized User accounts in one place.

We are looking for a volunteer(s) to summarize the valuable information in this thread.

If you are such a volunteer, edit this WikiPost with what you've learned.
Print Wikipost

Authorized Users / Additional Cardholders / Joint Accounts / AU [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:08 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
I have added my cat to several to qualify for bonuses so why not a student! I think you can do with any of the frequently discussed cards.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:37 am

Questions about Authorized Users [Consolidated]

Not sure if this is the right place to put this questions. MODs please move it if you feel like it.

So, I added my wife as an authorized user on couple of my credit cards. None of them required her SSN, but yesterday we checked my wife's credit report and somehow she got all accounts reported as "Authorized user".

Now my questions are

1. How did they get her SSN to report this accounts?
2. What are my options if I don't want them to report this on her credit report.
3. If I remove her as authorized user, will it remove the account from credit report? If so, are there any negatives to doing this?

thank you for your help.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:17 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Here is an article about creditors reporting without Social Security Numbers:

http://www.bills.com/credit-reporting-without-a-ssn/
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Here is an article about creditors reporting without Social Security Numbers:

http://www.bills.com/credit-reporting-without-a-ssn/
wow..did not realize that ...so that explains my first question
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:25 pm

As the article linked above mentions they can find you with name/address/DOB/other similar info. Did you just provide a name (and address) or did you provide more info? AMEX requires SSN, but I know others don't.

I have been an authorized user on my father's cards. Even though I no longer am, they still appear on my credit report.

Is there a particular reason you don't want them appearing?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by gj83
As the article linked above mentions they can find you with name/address/DOB/other similar info. Did you just provide a name (and address) or did you provide more info? AMEX requires SSN, but I know others don't.

I have been an authorized user on my father's cards. Even though I no longer am, they still appear on my credit report.

Is there a particular reason you don't want them appearing?
AMEX did not require SSN when I added her as authorized user, although they do report it on her credit report ...

Anyways I want to get those accounts removed since they are "high utilization" cards and it affects her credit negatively since she did not open many credit cards.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:33 pm

If you do have a real AMEX and I read my credit report correctly, it appears to be frozen at the balance it had when my dad removed me as an authorized user. Closed credit cards stay on for 10 years. As an authorized user it still shows, but since I'm not legally liable for the debt it has never been a negative for me. I get the benefits of a long history but not the negatives from utilization. This is from a Gold Amex so there is no official preset spending limit and even though it lists as $25k as the balance I still have a very high FICO.

(ETA)
AMEX finally allowed the "add additional card" screen to work. I don't understand how you added a card to your amex without the SSN. (their term for authorized user since to them an authorized user is someone who manages the account if you aren't able). It's a required field on all my cards.

Last edited by gj83; Nov 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm Reason: Removed info about "authorized users" from AMEX since they call it "additional cards"
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by mshah
Anyways I want to get those accounts removed since they are "high utilization" cards and it affects her credit negatively since she did not open many credit cards.
You have to dispute them with the three CRA's.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMEX did not require SSN when I added her as authorized user, although they do report it on her credit report ...

You cannot remove accounts on your credit report unless you file a dispute and it is up to the card issuers to agree on such dispute or not. If they agree then they would remove the accounts.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by QL_714
You have to dispute them with the three CRA's.
Even if I remove her, do we still need to dispute?

Originally Posted by Happy
You cannot remove accounts on your credit report unless you file a dispute and it is up to the card issuers to agree on such dispute or not. If they agree then they would remove the accounts.
Why would card issuer not agree. It is first of all Authorized user account (who are not liable for debts) and I removed her from my account.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if I remove her, do we still need to dispute?
Yes. Accounts whether active or closed normally remain on report for 20 years in case you are not aware of this. If your concern is those accounts are affecting her reports negatively (perception or fact?) then only the removal of such information would restore her reports.

Why would card issuer not agree. It is first of all Authorized user account (who are not liable for debts) and I removed her from my account.
The procedure is, when you dispute it, the CRA sends your request to the issuer, and then it is up to the issuer to agree or not agree to that dispute (in removing the accounts from the report). While it is a formality the issuer still has to respond. CRA only reports what banks send to the agency to report.

Your disputes must be filed from your spouse's report, naturally.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Yes. Accounts whether active or closed normally remain on report for 20 years in case you are not aware of this. If your concern is those accounts are affecting her reports negatively (perception or fact?) then only the removal of such information would restore her reports.

The procedure is, when you dispute it, the CRA sends your request to the issuer, and then it is up to the issuer to agree or not agree to that dispute (in removing the accounts from the report). While it is a formality the issuer still has to respond. CRA only reports what banks send to the agency to report.

Your disputes must be filed from your spouse's report, naturally.
Sorry for my ignorance but do I need to dispute with all 3 in this case or just one (and rest 2 gets from the one).

I just removed her from one of the account and will see how this goes.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:54 am

Sorry for my ignorance but do I need to dispute with all 3 in this case or just one (and rest 2 gets from the one).

You need to dispute with whatever CRA picked up the card. If you had just added her and only one CRA had picked up the account then you would only dispute with that one, but usually any account shows up on all 3.

Disputing and "aging off" are the only way things drop from the credit report. Credit cards I opened 10 years ago when I turned 18 and closed immediately are just now "aging off" my credit report.

While you're at it, if you have any old addresses dispute those as well. Visit Creditboards for better information about all of this. People there are trying very hard to restore credit and have all kinds of dispute form letters and instructions about disputing. You can't always just say "I dispute this because i closed the account" or "i'm no longer an authorized user".

Each CRA has their own quirks and I think Experian won't delete my old addresses but Transunion did with no hesitation.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All. Except for security breach information such as ID theft, the CRA's do NOT share other information. Banks only act on the disputes sent by a particular CRA. It would not automatically do anything on the other 2 that no such request has been made.
Old May 11, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
What does it mean to "add a user" to a credit card, for the other user?

I see various CC offers with small additional bonuses for adding an authorized user. What does the mean, other than that person can also use the cc? Does it result in a credit pull for the authorized user? Does it count for / against them on their credit report? Does it negate that other person's ability to be a first-time applicant for that brand of credit card, as is often a requirement for some of the large sign-on bonuses?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.