Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Authorized Users / Additional Cardholders / Joint Accounts / AU [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This is a recently created consolidated thread, to combine knowledge and insight regarding Authorized User accounts in one place.

We are looking for a volunteer(s) to summarize the valuable information in this thread.

If you are such a volunteer, edit this WikiPost with what you've learned.
Print Wikipost

Authorized Users / Additional Cardholders / Joint Accounts / AU [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I bet the card in question is American Express?

Chase and citi do not require SSN for additional card.... only American Express does.. I agree, it's ridiculous. Why would they need the sSN of AU if the AU is not the one responsible for the charges? absolutely idiotic.

no way I am keeping americanexpress if not for the huge sign up bonus...
no not an AMEX - its a chase United explorer card...

i don't think my wife gave them my ssn but like the previous poster we share the address and last name so they matched in thier db...

we'll see how this runs on my credit on the next report...we both applied for the explorer card to get the bonus but that makes double reporting on both accounts...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I bet the card in question is American Express?

Chase and citi do not require SSN for additional card.... only American Express does.. I agree, it's ridiculous. Why would they need the sSN of AU if the AU is not the one responsible for the charges? absolutely idiotic.

no way I am keeping americanexpress if not for the huge sign up bonus...
It's good for helping out those who has lack of credit history, (recent immigrants, kids, etc)

To OP, yes, it will also be part of your mortgage application as well (learned the hard way last time), next time put your dog's name as AU for those CC offer who require AU to get bonus.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:12 am

I want to add a relative as an AU to one of my cards; for really annoying reasons that are not her fault, she has a terrible credit score. I could potentially add her to a card from Chase, Citi, Amex, or Barclays.

1. Will her credit score/history impact mine in any way?
2. Might I be denied an AU with a bad score/history?
3. Are any of the 4 issuers above better or worse re my concerns?
4. If Chase is involved in why her score is bad, would they refuse a card for her as an AU?
5. Anything I'm not thinking of here? (And no, I am not worried about her abusing the card.)

TIA
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I want to add a relative as an AU to one of my cards; for really annoying reasons that are not her fault, she has a terrible credit score. I could potentially add her to a card from Chase, Citi, Amex, or Barclays.

1. Will her credit score/history impact mine in any way?
2. Might I be denied an AU with a bad score/history?
3. Are any of the 4 issuers above better or worse re my concerns?
4. If Chase is involved in why her score is bad, would they refuse a card for her as an AU?
5. Anything I'm not thinking of here? (And no, I am not worried about her abusing the card.)

TIA
You don't even have to provide her SSN. I have two AUs on my Chase card who are foreigners and have no SSN and no credit record at all.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:00 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Ord Liza

1. Will her credit score/history impact mine in any way? No.
2. Might I be denied an AU with a bad score/history? No.
3. Are any of the 4 issuers above better or worse re my concerns? IDK.
4. If Chase is involved in why her score is bad, would they refuse a card for her as an AU? IDK.
5. Anything I'm not thinking of here? (And no, I am not worried about her abusing the card.) If whomever was at fault for your relative's "terrible credit score" (say, it's a spouse/ex-spouse/SO) gets a hold of that card (or its numbers) notwithstanding said relative's heartfelt attempt to keep the card safe, that other party may run amok making unauthorized purchases. And while you're not responsible for unauthorized purchase, you may have trouble (or at least the bother of) attesting to their being unauthorized, not to mention possibly needing to return purchased merchandise to vendors, and how do you get merchandise back (from, in my example, the spouse/ex-spouse/SO) who may not cooperate and/or already have consumed/used/disposed/damaged same?
RNE, about to relate a different but similar predicament.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:46 am
RNE

Many years ago at my then-place of employment, my manager was going through a messy divorce. He "asked" me to make him an AU on one of my credit cards so he could make purchases without his soon-to-be-ex finding out. He assured me he would reimburse me. I believed he would, but nevertheless I wanted nothing to do with the seamy matter. He was OK with that at first, but then became coercive and eventually implied my job might be on the line. Reluctantly, I gave in.

How'd it turn out, you ask? Not well. Unbeknownst to me, he was having an affair with a co-worker. It got out. They got fired. He stopped reimbursing me. I cancelled the card but was on the hook for a few hundred dollars. I consider myself lucky it wasn't more.
SPN Lifer, mia and happychic like this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:48 am

I'm amused? embarrassed? concerned? My post that was quoted yesterday and again today is from 6 years ago and I don't remember which relative I was talking about. (In my defense, a lot has happened in the last 6 years.) I can narrow my guess to two potential suspects, one of whom has dug herself out of her hole and the other of whom, after I started helping her, had a ridiculous credit score of 850 when she died recently. Anyway, the responses may still be useful for others in my original position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.