Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thankyou Points -> Cash

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Thankyou Points -> Cash

If I can't get the retention department to offer me anything (strike 1 on my first attempt), I need to redeem my points and cancel before the $125 annual fee hits.

What's the best way to convert my Thankyou Points to cash and get the best return?

I have about 170,000 points.

Buy some GCs and sell them? Citi Gift Card and 14,000 points per $100 (I hope I can do better than that)?

What else?

Last edited by lexluthor; Jul 28, 2010 at 5:00 pm
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
You can do better with some of the travel options, such as booking a flight or cashing them in for rental car gift certs.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:09 pm

To buy you some time... check with Citibank, they usually have a grace period where the annual fee can be refunded after it hits your statement ~20 days. Then redeem your TYP, wait a few days, then cancel card + refund of annual fee.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
There is a long thread on fatwallet: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/596403/ on this.

GCs or travel through Expedia are popular options.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I think they said 30 days.

I don't need to buy airfare/hotel and I doubt I'll find anything expensive I need to cash out.

With the limited time I have, I'm just looking for the best way to quickly cash out and turn the points into the maximum cash I can.

Any other ideas?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
LandsEnd gift cards can be used at Sears and K Mart, and K Mart will let you use these to buy other gift cards for restaurants, hotels, phone cards, air travel, itunes, etc. The $100 card is 10K points, which is the best redemption rate you can get w/TYN.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:55 am
Original Poster

So you are saying I can get Lands End gift cards, take them to Kmart and use them to buy any of the cards that they have on those racks of GCs that are typically in stores?

I guess that's not bad. I'd have to see what's available.

What about selling Gift Cards on the net? What kind of return can I expect? Better than just cashing out at 14,000 points per $100 for a Citi Visa?

Any other ideas on how to cash out quickly?

Last edited by lexluthor; Jul 29, 2010 at 12:03 pm
Old Jul 29, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: Avis PP, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
Take a look at another Fatwallet thread, which might be helpful
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Good thread there. I'll check that out.

Actually, looks like the mortgage payment option might be a good way to quickly cash out at a decent percentage.

Didn't see that one before.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Marriott gift cards.

You could get 17 $100 Marriott Hotel gift cards. They don't expire for a long time, maybe never.
They are handy to have for a future trip, and your stay will earn Marriott points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.