Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Cards that include “primary” auto rental CDW insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Please provide a link, if possible, to the T&C that indicates the card offers primary coverage.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Chase Bank credit cards: (Note for US Citizens, ALL Chase credit cards above offer primary CDW Internationally (as long as country of residence is USA)* (see post #293 for details).
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Limits: Up to 31 consecutive days
    • Restrictions: none.
    • Limits: no coverage for Tesla or "high value or exotic brand" automobiles. May be worthwhile to verify with Chase before renting from e.g. Silvercar. (FWIW Silvercar CS confirmed that the MSRP of their A4s are approx. $30,000 as configured.)
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite ($550 annual fee)- Guide to Benefits
  • Chase Ink Bold/Plus (when renting for business purposes)
  • Chase Ink Preferred (when renting for business purposes) - Guide to Benefits
  • Chase United MP Explorer Visa ($95 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Tesla's are not covered
  • Chase United Club Visa Infinite ($525 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
  • Chase Ritz-Carlton Card - no longer accepting new applications, however certain Marriott cardholders >1 year can apply for a product change.
  • J.P Morgan Reserve Visa Infinite - Guide to Benefits
Visa Infinite cards (except as noted below. all have the same 3 conditions):
  1. Limits: Up to 15 consecutive days in your country of residence and up to 31 days Internationally.
  2. Coverage is available worldwide except in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
  3. Maximum coverage $75,000.
  • Elan Financial Services Visa Infinite® Reserve Rewards+ Card ($390 annual fee) (offered via many banks and credit unions) Guide to Benefits
  • Capital One Venture X Visa Infinite ($395 annual fee) Guide to Benefits
  • US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite ($400 Annual fee) - PDF Download Guide to Benefits
  • City National Crystal Visa Infinite ($400 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
  • Truist Visa Infinite Card ($450 annual fee, waived for wealth clients)
  • UBS Visa Infinite ($495 annual fee) Benefits link
  • Bank of America® Premium Rewards® Elite Visa Infinite ($550 annual fee) Guide to Benefits - doesn't specifically state primary but listed in Wiki under the assumption it mirrors the benefits of the other Visa Infinite cards (double check before applying or using for insurance).
    • Maximum coverage $75,000.
  • Zenus Bank Visa Infinite Debit Card (No AF, but only eligible to those with a $19.99 p/mo bank account). Can apply from over 50 countries, no need to be a US Citizen or resident. Note, this bank is not FDIC Insured. Guide to Benefits. Note: list of fees.
Visa cards
  • ​​​​1First Bank Beyond Ultimate Visa ($150 annual fee) Guide to Benefits - May only be available to residents of Florida, Puerto Rico, & Virgin Islands.
    • No coverage for antique, expensive or exotic cars
Mastercard
  • Wells Fargo Bilt World Elite Mastercard (NO Annual Fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Primary CDW except for NY Residents
    • Coverage is available worldwide except in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
    • Maximum coverage $50,000.
Diner's Club
  • Diner's Club MC (Personal non-corporate applications "suspended") - Guide to Benefits (Premier version, but likely the same for Elite as well)
    • Restrictions: no coverage to residents of New York.
    • Limits: $500 maximum for "loss of use", passenger car/SUV must have a MSRP of less than $50,000.
American Express
  • American Express offers an upgradeable per rental primary CDW option for a low fee: https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do While fee based, this coverage is up to 42 consecutive days (11 days longer than Chase cards and 27 days longer than Visa Infinite coverage)
__________________________________________________ _____________

No longer offered:
J.P. Morgan Select Card
J.P. Morgan Palladium Card (discontinued)
Chase Fairmont Visa Signature
Discover Escape
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
I may be wrong but I thought the two prices depended on which state you reside in. California is 17.95 and all other states are the higher price.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Originally Posted by lakers6902
I may be wrong but I thought the two prices depended on which state you reside in. California is 17.95 and all other states are the higher price.
They only advertise the high option explicitly. Once you go to enroll, you can also select the $19.95 coverage which provides lower levels:

What the Plan Covers
The $100,000 coverage level with a premium of $24.95 covers:
Up to $100,000 of primary damage and theft coverage for the rental car.
• Up to $100,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage.
• Up to $15,000 per person of excess coverage for Medical Expenses.
• Up to $5,000 per person of excess coverage for personal property, maximum of $10,000 for all. For Florida Residents, up to $15,000 per person of excess coverage for personal property, maximum of $25,000.

The $75,000 coverage level with a premium of $19.95 covers:
• Up to $75,000 of primary damage and theft coverage for the rental car.
• Up to $75,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage.
• Up to $7,500 per person of excess coverage for Medical Expenses.
• Up to $2,500 per person of excess coverage for personal property, maximum of $5,000 for all.

For California Residents
The $100,000 coverage level with a premium of $17.95 covers:
• Up to $100,000 of primary damage and theft coverage for the rental car.
• Up to $250,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage.
•Up to $15,000 per person of excess coverage for Medical Expenses
• Up to $5,000 per person of excess coverage for personal property, maximum of $10,000 for all.

Premium
There is no cost to enroll in Premium Car Rental Protection, and there are no monthly, annual, or cancellation fees. The Cardmember pays a flat fee of $19.95 or $24.95 per rental ($17.95 for California residents) each time a rental car is charged to his or her enrolled American Express Card, until coverage is terminated. The flat rate covers the duration of the rental, for up to 42 consecutive days (up to 30 consecutive days for Washington Cardmembers).
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:30 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
the AMEX excess insurance for 17.95 and up (depending on state) is CDW only

Am still curious as to which CCs have PRIMARY liability coverage and if one must decline all insurance (CDW AND liability) in order to ensure it is in force
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by thumbelina
...which CCs have PRIMARY liability coverage
Most credit cards do not provide any liability coverage, but see discussion in this thread beginning at post 7:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post14886346
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Which cards provides best rental car protection?

i am renting a car for few days , i have AMEX GOLD BIZ, PREMIER REWARDS, CITI ADVANTAGE AMEX and VISA, CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED , CITI WORLD MASTERCARD.

Which one should I use for best car rental coverage and protection?

thanks
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:59 pm

The challenge that I always is that yes, I have coverage. Somewhere deep in the form is a phone number I can call to file a claim.

What happens when I'm actually in an accident? Do I pull that out to give to the officer, do I give my own insurance information, or what? I wish they mailed some kind of insurance card that I can keep on me for those rentals that is only valid when using a rental car paid on their card.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by ankitgu
The challenge that I always is that yes, I have coverage. Somewhere deep in the form is a phone number I can call to file a claim.

What happens when I'm actually in an accident? Do I pull that out to give to the officer, do I give my own insurance information, or what? I wish they mailed some kind of insurance card that I can keep on me for those rentals that is only valid when using a rental car paid on their card.
Those are good points. However, I have AMEX protection. A good salesman sold me on the idea.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ankitgu

the one you show in case if an accident or cops pull you over is your liability coverage from your personal insurance company or the car rental's rental liablity coverage. the LDW or the protections from cards has nothing to do with liability and doesn't cover. it is there to help you fight off charges when rental company sends you bill.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:59 am

AMEX's standard protection is no different than other cards. However, AMEX allows you to purchase PREMIUM car rental insurance for $24.95/rental which provides $100,000 in theft and damage coverage, no deductible, and avoidance of filing a claim with your primary insurance carrier. However, keep in mind that all cc protection does NOT cover you for personal liability.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...mvt/home.do#04
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SAYHEY
AMEX's standard protection is no different than other cards. However, AMEX allows you to purchase PREMIUM car rental insurance for $24.95/rental which provides $100,000 in theft and damage coverage, no deductible, and avoidance of filing a claim with your primary insurance carrier. However, keep in mind that all cc protection does NOT cover you for personal liability.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...mvt/home.do#04
i think not all AMEX card has same coverage for rental cards. i think there is a difference between rental coverage on pure AMEX cards like AMEX GOLD, AMEX PREMIER REWARDS card and then those AMEX cards with other company logos like CITI advantage amex card.

the later has less coverage?

How about the chase saphhire preferred card protection?
thanks
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Please review this thread to understand the distinction between primary and secondary coverage, but bear in mind the coverage provided by a payment card is only for damage to the rental car itself, not damage to another car, other property or people.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...insurance.html
Old Mar 17, 2012, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Please review this thread to understand the distinction between primary and secondary coverage, but bear in mind the coverage provided by a payment card is only for damage to the rental car itself, not damage to another car, other property or people.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...insurance.html
thank you, you are always awesome!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 5:41 pm
Suspended

change my personal policy to liability only B4 i rent a car?

since i am using a credit card for the rental, i am declining car rental's LDW.
I have personal auto insurance, it looks like it is better if I remove the collision and comprehensive coverage on my personal auto insurance before i use it to cover the rental's liability coverage?

CREDIT CARDS will only cover the rental after you pay the deductible of your personal auto insurance?

It looks like the free LDW with amex cards doesn't cover any SUVs
and the premium for $25 only covers the FULL-SIZED SUVs.
I am renting an intermediate SUV so i am out of luck i guess?

"The Plan covers most vehicles typically available from a Rental Company, from smaller economy sizes to large luxury sedans, convertibles, exotic cars (worth more than $50,000), minivans, vans, pickup trucks, and "full-sized SUVs".

Last edited by jonny1; Mar 17, 2012 at 5:52 pm
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"CREDIT CARDS will only cover the rental after you pay the deductible of your personal auto insurance?"

No, you have this backwards. If your personal auto insurance applies to car rentals, the free credit-card coverage will only pay up to the amount of your deductible, since your personal insurance will cover the rest.

I can't say what free coverage your credit cards provide, but the rental-car coverage description for my Hilton HHonors Amex specifically includes "compact sport/utility vehicles, including but not limited to Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Four Runner, Chevrolet Blazer, and Isuzu Trooper and Rodeo." I expect that what the car-rental company calls an "intermediate SUV" falls within the guidelines of what Amex calls a "compact" SUV. You always have the option to call your credit-card issuer if in doubt.

And I expect that the Amex Premium car-rental coverage also covers such vehicles. I cannot imagine that the premium coverage would cover fewer vehicle types than the free coverage.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"CREDIT CARDS will only cover the rental after you pay the deductible of your personal auto insurance?"

No, you have this backwards. If your personal auto insurance applies to car rentals, the free credit-card coverage will only pay up to the amount of your deductible, since your personal insurance will cover the rest.

I can't say what free coverage your credit cards provide, but the rental-car coverage description for my Hilton HHonors Amex specifically includes "compact sport/utility vehicles, including but not limited to Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Four Runner, Chevrolet Blazer, and Isuzu Trooper and Rodeo." I expect that what the car-rental company calls an "intermediate SUV" falls within the guidelines of what Amex calls a "compact" SUV. You always have the option to call your credit-card issuer if in doubt.

And I expect that the Amex Premium car-rental coverage also covers such vehicles. I cannot imagine that the premium coverage would cover fewer vehicle types than the free coverage.
what if my personal insurance is only a liability with no collision and comprehensive coverage? how does the free coverage from CARDS work in that case?
it looks like amex is the best of all cards for car rental , but i have amex premier rewards gold card and CITI AADVANTAGE amex card. is it same or the later is not really an amex since it is issued by CITI?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.