Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Cards that include “primary” auto rental CDW insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Please provide a link, if possible, to the T&C that indicates the card offers primary coverage.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Chase Bank credit cards: (Note for US Citizens, ALL Chase credit cards above offer primary CDW Internationally (as long as country of residence is USA)* (see post #293 for details).
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Limits: Up to 31 consecutive days
    • Restrictions: none.
    • Limits: no coverage for Tesla or "high value or exotic brand" automobiles. May be worthwhile to verify with Chase before renting from e.g. Silvercar. (FWIW Silvercar CS confirmed that the MSRP of their A4s are approx. $30,000 as configured.)
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite ($550 annual fee)- Guide to Benefits
  • Chase Ink Bold/Plus (when renting for business purposes)
  • Chase Ink Preferred (when renting for business purposes) - Guide to Benefits
  • Chase United MP Explorer Visa ($95 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Tesla's are not covered
  • Chase United Club Visa Infinite ($525 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
  • Chase Ritz-Carlton Card - no longer accepting new applications, however certain Marriott cardholders >1 year can apply for a product change.
  • J.P Morgan Reserve Visa Infinite - Guide to Benefits
Visa Infinite cards (except as noted below. all have the same 3 conditions):
  1. Limits: Up to 15 consecutive days in your country of residence and up to 31 days Internationally.
  2. Coverage is available worldwide except in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
  3. Maximum coverage $75,000.
  • Elan Financial Services Visa Infinite® Reserve Rewards+ Card ($390 annual fee) (offered via many banks and credit unions) Guide to Benefits
  • Capital One Venture X Visa Infinite ($395 annual fee) Guide to Benefits
  • US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite ($400 Annual fee) - PDF Download Guide to Benefits
  • City National Crystal Visa Infinite ($400 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
  • Truist Visa Infinite Card ($450 annual fee, waived for wealth clients)
  • UBS Visa Infinite ($495 annual fee) Benefits link
  • Bank of America® Premium Rewards® Elite Visa Infinite ($550 annual fee) Guide to Benefits - doesn't specifically state primary but listed in Wiki under the assumption it mirrors the benefits of the other Visa Infinite cards (double check before applying or using for insurance).
    • Maximum coverage $75,000.
  • Zenus Bank Visa Infinite Debit Card (No AF, but only eligible to those with a $19.99 p/mo bank account). Can apply from over 50 countries, no need to be a US Citizen or resident. Note, this bank is not FDIC Insured. Guide to Benefits. Note: list of fees.
Visa cards
  • ​​​​1First Bank Beyond Ultimate Visa ($150 annual fee) Guide to Benefits - May only be available to residents of Florida, Puerto Rico, & Virgin Islands.
    • No coverage for antique, expensive or exotic cars
Mastercard
  • Wells Fargo Bilt World Elite Mastercard (NO Annual Fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Primary CDW except for NY Residents
    • Coverage is available worldwide except in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
    • Maximum coverage $50,000.
Diner's Club
  • Diner's Club MC (Personal non-corporate applications "suspended") - Guide to Benefits (Premier version, but likely the same for Elite as well)
    • Restrictions: no coverage to residents of New York.
    • Limits: $500 maximum for "loss of use", passenger car/SUV must have a MSRP of less than $50,000.
American Express
  • American Express offers an upgradeable per rental primary CDW option for a low fee: https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do While fee based, this coverage is up to 42 consecutive days (11 days longer than Chase cards and 27 days longer than Visa Infinite coverage)
__________________________________________________ _____________

No longer offered:
J.P. Morgan Select Card
J.P. Morgan Palladium Card (discontinued)
Chase Fairmont Visa Signature
Discover Escape
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by skibum3d
I can't edit the Wiki because I don't yet have 90 posts, but the Discover Escape card also offers primary rental insurance. T&C here:

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...ced-tc.html#q3
Also, despite the claim that you can no longer apply for this card, apparently you still can (just had a friend go through and get approved.) This is not my link, just one from discovercard.com

https://www.discovercard.com/applica...uct/2/KXER.htm

I still feel like this card is highly underrated by the community. $60 annual fee, primary rental car insurance, 2x miles / $1, and, my personal favorite feature, combined with the DiscoverIT card, I can frequently get 5% cash + 2 miles / dollar without risk of a portal clawback. That's 7x on a lot of online purchases.
Old May 19, 2014, 3:28 pm

Even though the Chase Fairmont Visa Signature was mentioned earlier, it isn't in the Wiki, so I've added it.

I can't find a copy of the Guide to Benefits online, but I have it right here in front of me. The benefit is called Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver benefit.

In the What is Covered section is the following quote: "This benefit is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle as it was originally manufactured."

Last edited by YourNameHere; May 19, 2014 at 3:34 pm
Old May 19, 2014, 4:29 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by skibum3d
Also, despite the claim that you can no longer apply for this card, apparently you still can (just had a friend go through and get approved.) This is not my link, just one from discovercard.com

https://www.discovercard.com/applica...uct/2/KXER.htm

I still feel like this card is highly underrated by the community. $60 annual fee, primary rental car insurance, 2x miles / $1, and, my personal favorite feature, combined with the DiscoverIT card, I can frequently get 5% cash + 2 miles / dollar without risk of a portal clawback. That's 7x on a lot of online purchases.
I never thought about combining it with the DiscoverIT portal rather than the inferior portal for the Escape card.

I use the card to get primary car insurance when my regular card is being used as primary for another car rental.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:53 am

I have employees needing a rental car in Laredo, TX. If I pay for the car with MY United Explorer card, will THEY be covered by the car rental insurance from the card?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:34 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by orbit1
I have employees needing a rental car in Laredo, TX. If I pay for the car with MY United Explorer card, will THEY be covered by the car rental insurance from the card?
No. Unless you add them as authorized users and they present the physical card for deposit. Then maybe, if you have the business version of the card. Check the terms very carefully.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:41 pm

Old news these days, but the Chase Sapphire Preferred now provides primary car rental insurance.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
The JP Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa provides primary CDW.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
I have updated the wiki so both Chase Sapphire Preferred and Ritz-Carlton are on the list.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Chase Sapphire car rental coverage

I was always under the impression that the rental car coverage was primary. Not so I found out today when talking to the insurance rep. She told me that if you have rental car coverage with your personal car, the coverage from Chase becomes secondary and covers the deductible. If you do not have auto insurance or if you do and don't have rental car coverage with it Chas's coverage is primary. Interesting when their advertisements say "primary rental car coverage".
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do you have the "Chase Sapphire" or the "Chase Sapphire Preferred card?

The description of coverage that the rep gave you is a description of secondary coverage, not primary coverage. Secondary coverage always becomes primary coverage for those without other collectable insurance.

If you have the Sapphire Preferred card, I suggest that you HUACA.

Last edited by philemer; Aug 29, 2015 at 12:05 am Reason: fixed syntax
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do you have the "Chase Sapphire" or the "Chase Sapphire [/b]Preferred[/b] card?

The description of coverage that the rep gave you is a description of secondary coverage, not primary coverage. Secondary coverage always becomes primary coverage for those without other collectable insurance.

If you have the Sapphire Preferred card, I suggest that you HUACA.
I have the preferred card, the rep. was quoting coverage based on my credit card number. Good advice, HUACA.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Here's the definitive thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ance-wiki.html

CSP has primary coverage.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

The CSP benefits brochure description of the rental-car coverage states, "It is primary coverage which means you do not have to file a claim with any other source of insurance before you can receive coverage under this benefit." (Emphasis added.)

Sounds like you just got a misinformed rep.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I went ahead and updated the wiki with coverage limits/restrictions/benefits guides for the two cards that I have.

BTW has anyone been able to confirm whether Chase will cover Silvercar rentals?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
The Crystal Visa Infinite card from City National Bank might have primary CDW too but their guide to benefits isn't clear on that: https://www.cnb.com/SiteCollectionDo...l-Benefits.pdf. Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.