Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Aviator missing miles for bonus offers?

Old Jul 1, 2023, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

I hold a Barclays Aviator Master Card (I currently have the free version) and from time to time I receive emails from someone offering some amount of AA bonus miles for making one or more expenditures within a certain time period. About 3 years ago, there was an offer for 65,000 miles for making just a single purchase with the card. Those miles posted. It's been downhill ever since.

More recently, in late 2022, an email offered 1000 AA miles for making just one purchase in November 2022 or December 2022, or 3000 miles for making a purchase in both months. These miles have not posted. After waiting the 10-12 weeks "after the promotion ends", I wrote Barclays, assuming the promotion was theirs. I get a terse letter back saying that "we are currently unable to complete your request" and asking me to contact them "by calling the number on the back of your card." I called today after about 6 months and was told by the Barclays clerk that they had no record of the promotion, but that perhaps it was an American, rather than a Barclays, promotion, and that I should call American. Because it's hard enough to get through to the airlines during busy travel periods for important matters such as cancelled flights, I've sent a letter to AAdvantage requesting the missing miles, and attaching my file.

Meanwhile, I received yet another promotion. This time I kept a hard copy of the incoming email, dated June 12, and wrote on it the date I registered (also 6/12), accomplished by clicking on a button. The header on the email does confirm that the source of the email was "American Airlines AAdvantage Program." This promotion offers up to 5000 bonus miles, as follows: 500 miles for making a single purchase in June, 1000 miles for making a single purchase in July, 1500 miles for making a single purchase in August, and 2000 more miles for doing all three. I do not appear to have a receipt or confirmation, although at some point I think I had one. The mumbo jumbo fine print, which continues for two pages, does not identify who will be doing fulfillment, and barely defines "eligible purchase" except to suggest that any purchase is eligible unless it's a purchase of gaming chips, lottery tickets, traveler's checks (who knew they were still around), and similar matters. I guess one possible hint that the email comes from AA is that Barclays might have spelled "checks" in the British manner, i.e. cheques.

Is American (or Barclays) running some kind of artifice scheme here? And isn't it a bit unusual for the airline, rather than the bank, to be pushing use of a particular card?

In any case, I find it unseemly that American would stoop so low, and that I am getting the run-around as to who is responsible, and am wondering whether other FT members have received similar promotions and success in getting someone, anyone, to honor what was promised.

I'm thinking that the matter perhaps needs to be referred to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for investigation, It's bordering on fraud to take so long to post miles, when virtually everyone has lost track of what they may have been due and evidence of registration may not be available.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Slow

Barclay's is super slow at post bonuses but if the requisite 6 to 8 weeks have passed and you still didn't get it, chances are something is wrong.

So in regards to who should own the posting of miles: it would be Barclay's. They bought the miles from AA, they ran the promotion, they post the miles upon fulfillment. That doesn't mean they won't push the responsibility off to AA however as it becomes a game of hot potato but in fairness, Barclay's is the one truly responsible.

Tbh even if you had proof of the promotions, Barclay's would send you on a loop of useless Doom before they let you have the points. It's just how these promotions go if they don't auto post.

You can file a CFPB complaint and if it's worth it to you go all the way to the top. The executive office will answer those complaints and they will research your claims. If you truly believe you followed the promotion you will prevail. The question is at what cost. If you're doing it on principle and don't mind that you're sinking your free hrs on it and won't get super frustrated and mad, do it.

If you can let go of it that is equally fine as well to keep your sanity. Whichever one you choose I think we all support you as we have all been there fighting the good fight but sometimes it comes at a cost or retrospective realization that it may not be worth it. Yes, it's horrifying to be wronged and these promotions drives us nuts but there is both glory and great dissapointment in this game. I'm sorry this happened to you.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

American responded to my letter and confirmed what I had thought, and what mrkymark stated above: Barclays, and not the airline, is responsible for bonus miles related to credit card spending promotions.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:59 pm

Would seem easiest just to get a Citi CC, for a $100 annual fee and you can get 50000 welcome bonus miles. I have never had problems with Citi posting a welcome bonus after meeting their spending targets. Your experience with Barclays is an indication you should not spend/bank with them.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bgasser
Would seem easiest just to get a Citi CC, for a $100 annual fee and you can get 50000 welcome bonus miles. I have never had problems with Citi posting a welcome bonus after meeting their spending targets. Your experience with Barclays is an indication you should not spend/bank with them.
I do have the Citi card as well as the Barclays.

Today, after sending a 4th letter, I finally received a letter back from Barclays advising that the missing 3000 miles have been posted "per my request". How nice!
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:22 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As these promotions are administered by Barclays and not AA, we will move this to the Credit Card Programs forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Aug 20, 2023, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
In similar promotions in the past, I found that the bonus miles would not post unless I had a charge (any charge) on the statement when they wanted to post the miles. This might be 1 or 2 months after the end of the promotion. If I had no charges, nothing at all would post.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Meanwhile, I received yet another promotion. This time I kept a hard copy of the incoming email, dated June 12, and wrote on it the date I registered (also 6/12), accomplished by clicking on a button. The header on the email does confirm that the source of the email was "American Airlines AAdvantage Program." This promotion offers up to 5000 bonus miles, as follows: 500 miles for making a single purchase in June, 1000 miles for making a single purchase in July, 1500 miles for making a single purchase in August, and 2000 more miles for doing all three. I do not appear to have a receipt or confirmation, although at some point I think I had one. The mumbo jumbo fine print, which continues for two pages, does not identify who will be doing fulfillment, and barely defines "eligible purchase" except to suggest that any purchase is eligible unless it's a purchase of gaming chips, lottery tickets, traveler's checks (who knew they were still around), and similar matters. I guess one possible hint that the email comes from AA is that Barclays might have spelled "checks" in the British manner, i.e. cheques.
I registered and completed this promotion. It has shown up in the "Promotions" section of my AAdvantage account until today- now it is no longer there. I also received an email on 8/15 reminding me the promotion was about to end, and it stated I was on record as already registered. I assumed I would receive the bonus points per month, and the final bonus at the end. To date I have received no bonus points. Will hopefully post in the next few weeks.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
I registered and completed this promotion. It has shown up in the "Promotions" section of my AAdvantage account until today- now it is no longer there. I also received an email on 8/15 reminding me the promotion was about to end, and it stated I was on record as already registered. I assumed I would receive the bonus points per month, and the final bonus at the end. To date I have received no bonus points. Will hopefully post in the next few weeks.
I also did this promo from June-August. Nothing has posted at this point.

Anyone else?

ETA: mine posted overnight 06Oct. Post dated for 29SEP.

Last edited by Au4882; Oct 6, 2023 at 6:09 am
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Au4882
I also did this promo from June-August. Nothing has posted at this point.

Anyone else?
Perfect timing for this question- All 5K LPs posted last night-. 500, 1000, 1500, and 2000. They were backdated to Sept 29, which I would need to verify, but I am guessing is my closing date.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Perfect timing for this question- All 5K LPs posted last night-. 500, 1000, 1500, and 2000. They were backdated to Sept 29, which I would need to verify, but I am guessing is my closing date.
Mine also posted overnight w a sept 29 date.
WannaTheater likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:47 pm

Oh I just got shafted. I signed up for the cc in November with the promise of 60K bonus miles. I met their requirements (first purchase, and pay annual fee) and they made me wait even after I called inquiring about the miles and they said I had to wait the 90 days before i would get them. I have auto pay and they took it upon themselves to take the payment in Feb. stating Now the points have expired and I can't get them. Stating the annual fee wasn't paid in time. I have online my statement with a posted date of NOV 19th. But because they didn't take the payment until Feb. I lose out. I AM INFURIATED

How do I file a CFPB complaint?

Last edited by mia; Mar 2, 2024 at 2:11 pm
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by TJRAE52
How do I file a CFPB complaint?
Welcome to Flyertalk. Please do not post the same question in more than one thread. Please follow discussion here: AA advantage 60k miles bonus

Last edited by mia; Mar 2, 2024 at 2:26 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.