Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Cards that include “primary” auto rental CDW insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Please provide a link, if possible, to the T&C that indicates the card offers primary coverage.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Chase Bank credit cards: (Note for US Citizens, ALL Chase credit cards above offer primary CDW Internationally (as long as country of residence is USA)* (see post #293 for details).
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Limits: Up to 31 consecutive days
    • Restrictions: none.
    • Limits: no coverage for Tesla or "high value or exotic brand" automobiles. May be worthwhile to verify with Chase before renting from e.g. Silvercar. (FWIW Silvercar CS confirmed that the MSRP of their A4s are approx. $30,000 as configured.)
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite ($550 annual fee)- Guide to Benefits
  • Chase Ink Bold/Plus (when renting for business purposes)
  • Chase Ink Preferred (when renting for business purposes) - Guide to Benefits
  • Chase United MP Explorer Visa ($95 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Tesla's are not covered
  • Chase United Club Visa Infinite ($525 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
  • Chase Ritz-Carlton Card - no longer accepting new applications, however certain Marriott cardholders >1 year can apply for a product change.
  • J.P Morgan Reserve Visa Infinite - Guide to Benefits
Visa Infinite cards (except as noted below. all have the same 3 conditions):
  1. Limits: Up to 15 consecutive days in your country of residence and up to 31 days Internationally.
  2. Coverage is available worldwide except in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
  3. Maximum coverage $75,000.
  • Elan Financial Services Visa Infinite® Reserve Rewards+ Card ($390 annual fee) (offered via many banks and credit unions) Guide to Benefits
  • Capital One Venture X Visa Infinite ($395 annual fee) Guide to Benefits
  • US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite ($400 Annual fee) - PDF Download Guide to Benefits
  • City National Crystal Visa Infinite ($400 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
  • Truist Visa Infinite Card ($450 annual fee, waived for wealth clients)
  • UBS Visa Infinite ($495 annual fee) Benefits link
  • Bank of America® Premium Rewards® Elite Visa Infinite ($550 annual fee) Guide to Benefits - doesn't specifically state primary but listed in Wiki under the assumption it mirrors the benefits of the other Visa Infinite cards (double check before applying or using for insurance).
    • Maximum coverage $75,000.
  • Zenus Bank Visa Infinite Debit Card (No AF, but only eligible to those with a $19.99 p/mo bank account). Can apply from over 50 countries, no need to be a US Citizen or resident. Note, this bank is not FDIC Insured. Guide to Benefits. Note: list of fees.
Visa cards
  • ​​​​1First Bank Beyond Ultimate Visa ($150 annual fee) Guide to Benefits - May only be available to residents of Florida, Puerto Rico, & Virgin Islands.
    • No coverage for antique, expensive or exotic cars
Mastercard
  • Wells Fargo Bilt World Elite Mastercard (NO Annual Fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Primary CDW except for NY Residents
    • Coverage is available worldwide except in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
    • Maximum coverage $50,000.
Diner's Club
  • Diner's Club MC (Personal non-corporate applications "suspended") - Guide to Benefits (Premier version, but likely the same for Elite as well)
    • Restrictions: no coverage to residents of New York.
    • Limits: $500 maximum for "loss of use", passenger car/SUV must have a MSRP of less than $50,000.
American Express
  • American Express offers an upgradeable per rental primary CDW option for a low fee: https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do While fee based, this coverage is up to 42 consecutive days (11 days longer than Chase cards and 27 days longer than Visa Infinite coverage)
__________________________________________________ _____________

No longer offered:
J.P. Morgan Select Card
J.P. Morgan Palladium Card (discontinued)
Chase Fairmont Visa Signature
Discover Escape
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you have no other collectible insurance, the free car-rental insurance provided by your credit card becomes primary coverage.

Since coverage varies from issuer to issuer -- and even from card to card issued by the same issuer -- it is always best to consult the written description of coverage that came with your card, and/or call the card issuer for clarification.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by jonny1
It looks like the free LDW with amex cards doesn't cover any SUVs
and the premium for $25 only covers the FULL-SIZED SUVs.
I am renting an intermediate SUV so i am out of luck i guess?

"The Plan covers most vehicles typically available from a Rental Company, from smaller economy sizes to large luxury sedans, convertibles, exotic cars (worth more than $50,000), minivans, vans, pickup trucks, and "full-sized SUVs".

I have the $19.95, 75K premium rental protection from AMEX. The policy states that , " A rental car includes a pick-up truck, cargo or passenger van, and sport utility vehicle".

You can call 1-800 338-1670 for more clarification, but I'm sure that all SUVs are covered.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you have no other collectible insurance, the free car-rental insurance provided by your credit card becomes primary coverage.

Since coverage varies from issuer to issuer -- and even from card to card issued by the same issuer -- it is always best to consult the written description of coverage that came with your card, and/or call the card issuer for clarification.
this is why i think and i also saw on a car rental tips that it would be wise idea to get the comprehensive and collision coverage removed from my personal auto insurance coverage, so if and when there is an accident with the rental car, i dont have to shell out $500 or $1000 whatever the deductible of my personal coverage and card company is supposed to be in charge?
i might also buy the AMEX PREMUIM RENTAL protection since i am driving the buffalo NY rental car to canada, not familier with canadian roads and streets
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you cancel the collision/comprehensive portion of your personal policy, and your personal auto is stolen while you are in Canada, can you handle that loss?

If you keep collision and comprehensive on your personal policy and get into an accident with the rental car, why would you have to pay $500-$1,000? Your free credit-card coverage would pay the deductible.

You can buy the Amex Premium coverage if you like, but if you have an accident with the rental car and cause damage or injury to others that exceeds the minimum liability coverage provided by the rental-car company, you would still have to involve your personal insurance company.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:31 pm
Suspended

If you cancel the collision/comprehensive portion of your personal policy, and your personal auto is stolen while you are in Canada, can you handle that loss?

If you keep collision and comprehensive on your personal policy and get into an accident with the rental car, why would you have to pay $500-$1,000? Your free credit-card coverage would pay the deductible.

You can buy the Amex Premium coverage if you like, but if you have an accident with the rental car and cause damage or injury to others that exceeds the minimum liability coverage provided by the rental-car company, you would still have to involve your personal insurance company.
sorry to say (respectfully) you didn't understand my question. I am NOT taking personal car to toronto.
i am taking a rental car from US to canada and back. I am using my personal car's insurance to cover the liability of rental car. and use CC's free LDW. my personal car has liability coverage only.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonny1

sorry to say (respectfully) you didn't understand my question. I am NOT taking personal car to toronto.
i am taking a rental car from US to canada and back. I am using my personal car's insurance to cover the liability of rental car. and use CC's free LDW. my personal car has liability coverage only.
I understand that you are not taking your personal car to Canada.

You're saying that your personal auto policy only has liability on your personal car, and liability, collision, and comprehensive for rental cars? And that your insurance company will permit you to cancel the collision and comprehensive coverage on rental cars while retaining liability coverage on rental cars? If that's the case, and if your credit cards carry rental car loss/damage coverage, then I agree with you: keep liability coverage (only) on the rental cars, and cancel the collision/comprehensive collision on rental cars. But that may or may not be an option, depending on the laws of the state where you are insured, and/or the rules of your insurer.

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 17, 2012 at 11:40 pm
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SAYHEY
AMEX allows you to purchase PREMIUM car rental insurance for $24.95/rental which provides $100,000 in theft and damage coverage, no deductible, and avoidance of filing a claim with your primary insurance carrier.
I met a guy who figured out it is cheaper for him to rent a car for 6 months (the max they would agree to) and get this $25 flat Amex insurance than to lease the same car and pay for the insurance normally. An expensive SUV.

Whenever it gets dirty, he just takes it in and exchanges it. Plus of course he gets miles/points on the rental, which he wouldn't on a lease.

And of course he has achieved the very top level of status with that rental car company. So when traveling they will do pretty much anything for him.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Originally Posted by SAYHEY
AMEX allows you to purchase PREMIUM car rental insurance for $24.95/rental which provides $100,000 in theft and damage coverage, no deductible, and avoidance of filing a claim with your primary insurance carrier.
I met a guy who figured out it is cheaper for him to rent a car for 6 months (the max they would agree to) and get this $25 flat Amex insurance than to lease the same car and pay for the insurance normally. An expensive SUV.

Whenever it gets dirty, he just takes it in and exchanges it. Plus of course he gets miles/points on the rental, which he wouldn't on a lease.

And of course he has achieved the very top level of status with that rental car company. So when traveling they will do pretty much anything for him.
Isn't there a limit to the length of rental that the Amex Premium insurance covers?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Coverage is for up to 42 consecutive days (up to 30 consecutive days for Washington State Cardmembers)
https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...ce-mvt/home.do
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:24 pm

which credit cards offer free auto collision damage waiver?

I just got a southwest premier rewards card. Saw that it had free auto collision damage waiver "When you rent a car using your SWA RR Credit card, you're protected for up to the actual cash value of most rental cards. Simply decline the collision damage waiver insurance offered to you by the car rental company, and you could save yourself up to $15/day. Primary coverage is offered on international rentals for up to 31 consecutive days. Secondary converage is offered on domestic rentals for up to 15 consecutive days.".\

I have:
Chase Freedom
Chase SW Plus Personal
Chase SW Premier Biz
Chase United MP
BOFA Hawaiian Airlines
BOH Hawaiian Airlines
US Airways
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:34 pm

Most (all?) major US creditors offer this. You can always call the # on the back of the card if you wanted to make sure.

PS-I believe this is in the wrong forum as it is not miles related.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:47 pm

In general, all visa and amex cards do....not sure of mastercards. Check your card benefits online.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:34 am

Chase United MP has it.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by gablaze23
Chase United MP has it.
The Chase MP Explorer card has primary coverage domestically as well as internationally (with a few exceptions).
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Most (all?) major US creditors offer this. You can always call the # on the back of the card if you wanted to make sure.

PS-I believe this is in the wrong forum as it is not miles related.
Wrong forum and undoubtedly will be moved, but yes this provision is the norm. It seems that rental counters still try to push the CDW (I suppose there's a nice commission on it), though lately I've noticed less of a hard sell (where you have to say "no" three or four times) and more of a suggestion.

If this is a benefit of your credit card, feel confident you can turn down the CDW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.