Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Cards that include “primary” auto rental CDW insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Please provide a link, if possible, to the T&C that indicates the card offers primary coverage.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Chase Bank credit cards: (Note for US Citizens, ALL Chase credit cards above offer primary CDW Internationally (as long as country of residence is USA)* (see post #293 for details).
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Limits: Up to 31 consecutive days
    • Restrictions: none.
    • Limits: no coverage for Tesla or "high value or exotic brand" automobiles. May be worthwhile to verify with Chase before renting from e.g. Silvercar. (FWIW Silvercar CS confirmed that the MSRP of their A4s are approx. $30,000 as configured.)
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite ($550 annual fee)- Guide to Benefits
  • Chase Ink Bold/Plus (when renting for business purposes)
  • Chase Ink Preferred (when renting for business purposes) - Guide to Benefits
  • Chase United MP Explorer Visa ($95 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Tesla's are not covered
  • Chase United Club Visa Infinite ($525 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
  • Chase Ritz-Carlton Card - no longer accepting new applications, however certain Marriott cardholders >1 year can apply for a product change.
  • J.P Morgan Reserve Visa Infinite - Guide to Benefits
Visa Infinite cards (except as noted below. all have the same 3 conditions):
  1. Limits: Up to 15 consecutive days in your country of residence and up to 31 days Internationally.
  2. Coverage is available worldwide except in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
  3. Maximum coverage $75,000.
  • Elan Financial Services Visa Infinite® Reserve Rewards+ Card ($390 annual fee) (offered via many banks and credit unions) Guide to Benefits
  • Capital One Venture X Visa Infinite ($395 annual fee) Guide to Benefits
  • US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite ($400 Annual fee) - PDF Download Guide to Benefits
  • City National Crystal Visa Infinite ($400 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
  • Truist Visa Infinite Card ($450 annual fee, waived for wealth clients)
  • UBS Visa Infinite ($495 annual fee) Benefits link
  • Bank of America® Premium Rewards® Elite Visa Infinite ($550 annual fee) Guide to Benefits - doesn't specifically state primary but listed in Wiki under the assumption it mirrors the benefits of the other Visa Infinite cards (double check before applying or using for insurance).
    • Maximum coverage $75,000.
  • Zenus Bank Visa Infinite Debit Card (No AF, but only eligible to those with a $19.99 p/mo bank account). Can apply from over 50 countries, no need to be a US Citizen or resident. Note, this bank is not FDIC Insured. Guide to Benefits. Note: list of fees.
Visa cards
  • ​​​​1First Bank Beyond Ultimate Visa ($150 annual fee) Guide to Benefits - May only be available to residents of Florida, Puerto Rico, & Virgin Islands.
    • No coverage for antique, expensive or exotic cars
Mastercard
  • Wells Fargo Bilt World Elite Mastercard (NO Annual Fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Primary CDW except for NY Residents
    • Coverage is available worldwide except in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
    • Maximum coverage $50,000.
Diner's Club
  • Diner's Club MC (Personal non-corporate applications "suspended") - Guide to Benefits (Premier version, but likely the same for Elite as well)
    • Restrictions: no coverage to residents of New York.
    • Limits: $500 maximum for "loss of use", passenger car/SUV must have a MSRP of less than $50,000.
American Express
  • American Express offers an upgradeable per rental primary CDW option for a low fee: https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do While fee based, this coverage is up to 42 consecutive days (11 days longer than Chase cards and 27 days longer than Visa Infinite coverage)
__________________________________________________ _____________

No longer offered:
J.P. Morgan Select Card
J.P. Morgan Palladium Card (discontinued)
Chase Fairmont Visa Signature
Discover Escape
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I'm not clear about what you're asking. If your United Visa already provides LDW for car rentals, why would you care about what some other card provides? Is there some reason why you would prefer not to use your United Visa?

By the way, credit-card LDW coverage tends to apply only if you have declined CDW coverage offered by the car-rental company. If you accept any form of optional CDW coverage offered by the car-rental company, I don't think any credit card will provide LDW coverage for that particular rental. On the other hand, if the applicable law in the renting jurisdiction limits your liability to a certain amount (say, 700 Euros), then I think that credit-card LDW coverage would apply.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:13 pm

I am looking for a policy that would cover the excess of CDW. I am wondering if any credit cards or programs cover that.

1) I will pay for CDW because it's easier to deal with the car hire company's insurance than the credit card.
2) most CDW have a deductible in case I am at fault. This ranges from 400-1200 euros.

I am looking for a policy that covers no 2.

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No credit card would cover anything if you accept insurance from rental company.

American Express would sell an additional policy for its own cards, not the affiliate cards. However, such policies may or may not cover Serbia.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Only the Diner's Club card is primary when it comes to car insurance and yes, you must decline their insurance (at least not agree to anything extra). It is the only thing I use my DC for, and since the fee is waived because of my citigold account it is a no brainer to keep it. I was in a car accident in England about 5 years ago - a head on collision that I caused. DC totaled the car and paid $14,000. It cost me nothing - and didn't go on my driving record. Needless to say I would never drive in England again and I would only use DC for my car rentals. Always good to call the credit card that you are using to clarify what is covered.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgordon
Only the Diner's Club card is primary when it comes to car insurance and yes, you must decline their insurance (at least not agree to anything extra)..
Not true.

For international rentals, all cards have primary coverages but with limit of value and duration of rental and exclusion of certain countries. Australia and New Zealand are excluded because they have no-fault policies and the car rental rates have mandatory insurance portion in it. (Visa has vague language about New Zealand). Italy, Northern Ireland, Israel are excluded, off the top of my head. You have to check the cards for a complete list of exclusion.

For domestic, if you dont have own car insurance policy, the card coverage becomes primary. They also have limit of value and duration of rental. We had hail storm damage at Yellowstone NP and Mastercard coverage paid for $22xx damage repair.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 12, 2009 at 6:11 pm Reason: correct typo
Old Jul 11, 2009, 2:53 am

Domestically, even if you have car insurance, DC is primary.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 4:47 am
In memoriam

Personally, I usually go with an Amex card but you need to check to be sure what the insurance on your particular card covers as some, such as Starwood are better than others.

I had good luck with Amex coverage years ago and have found the service with overcharges etc outweights the excessive forex conversion costs on Amex.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by dgordon
It is the only thing I use my DC for, and since the fee is waived because of my citigold account it is a no brainer to keep it. I was in a car accident in England about 5 years ago - a head on collision that I caused.
dgordon - Do you mind sharing which DC card you have? I was looking at the DC website and it looks like they only have the "professional" card. Looking at the CitiGold website, it also looks like they no longer waive fees for Diners Club.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
....For international rentals, all cards have primary coverages but with limit of value and duration of rental and exclusion of certain countries. Australia and New Zealand are excluded because they have no-fault policies and the car rental rates have mandatory insurance portion in it. (Visa has vague language about New Zealand). Italy, Northern Ireland, Israel are not excluded, off the top of my head. You have to check the cards for a complete list of exclusion...
That is partly true. However:
-Amexco exluded Italy and other countries
-I had two Amexco Business Cards with NO coverage outside USA!

I use only Visa and Mastercard for car rentals .... and still, it's prudent to read the fine print!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by andyli
dgordon - Do you mind sharing which DC card you have? I was looking at the DC website and it looks like they only have the "professional" card. Looking at the CitiGold website, it also looks like they no longer waive fees for Diners Club.
I may be grandfathered in concerning the waiving of the fee, since I got the card years ago when I first got my citigold account. It is now co branded with MC. I think you would have to speek with someone in Citigold to find out if they would waive the fee. It is the standard DC - not a "professional" card.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USAFAN
That is partly true. However:
-Amexco exluded Italy and other countries
-I had two Amexco Business Cards with NO coverage outside USA!

I use only Visa and Mastercard for car rentals .... and still, it's prudent to read the fine print!
Sorry for the typo regarding countries. Those countries I mentioned, are NOT covered, meaning being EXCLUDED from coverage on the cards.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 14, 2009 at 5:49 pm
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:37 am
HCA

I confirmed last year that Citi Professional card still carry primary car rental insurance.
I also remembered you can pay some extra for AMEX full car rental coverage. (You need to be careful that some people say "discount" code booking is not valid.)
Old Jul 14, 2009, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HCA
I confirmed last year that Citi Professional card still carry primary car rental insurance.
I also remembered you can pay some extra for AMEX full car rental coverage. (You need to be careful that some people say "discount" code booking is not valid.)
With the Citi Prof card, there is a clause for the coverage, that is, your rental must be business-related. If the insurance company asks for proof, you better be able to provide such. Else, the claim will be denied. Unless you are willing to take the chance on a leisure trip, that the insurance company would not ask for proof.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
As far as I am aware of in US this is the only card issuer that provides primary collision coverage for free. Amex has something for $19 and $29 per rental coverage which becames primary.
Note that this Amex coverage covers loss and damage, but not liability to a third party in an accident. In California, that's on the car rental company, but if you have personal coverage (e.g. your own car insurance) they may have recourse to that.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:11 pm
HCA

Best CC for “primary” rental car insurance?

Best CC for “primary” rental car insurance?

I know American Express PREMIUM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION but I still want to know if I can save $17.95 per rental (CA).

I was told Citi-Professional offer “Primary” insurance thus I only use it when I rent cars. However, none of Citi’s CSR can confirm this.

The info is on Citi web site:
[The T&C about Citi Business CCs car rental insurance compared to personal cards only the wording “is secondary coverage” is removed but no where said it will be primary.]
It seems Citi business Visa (e.g. AA) offers it as “Visa Auto Rental Insurance coverage is primary coverage”.

Not sure this time I want to use Cit-AA business (Visa) or Citi-Professional (Master) for car rental.

Did some google but did not find a good answer.

http://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/sp...?screenID=1262

MasterRental® Insurance

AT&T Universal Savings Platinum Card
AT&T Universal Savings and Rewards Card
Citi CashReturns® MasterCard®
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Rewards Card
Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® MasterCard®
Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® MasterCard® for College Students
Citi® Gold / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®
Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®
Citi® Platinum Select® MasterCard®
Citi® Platinum Select® MasterCard® for College Students
Citi PremierPass®Card
Citi PremierPass® Card -- Elite Level
Citi PremierPass® Expedia.com Card
Citi PremierPass® Expedia.com Card - Elite Level

Automatic coverage when you reserve and rent a vehicle with these cards and decline the car rental company's collision, loss/damage waiver insurance.

MasterRental® Insurance coverage (up to $50,000 per incident) is secondary coverage and is underwritten by Virginia Surety Company, Inc. Certain conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply. Not all vehicles and not all countries are covered. Details of coverage will be provided upon cardmembership.

MasterRental® Insurance - Business Card

Citi ProfessionalSM Card
Citi ProfessionalSM Cash Card
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® MasterCard®
CitiBusiness® Card

Automatic coverage when you reserve and rent a vehicle with these cards and decline the car rental company's collision, loss/damage waiver insurance.

MasterRental Insurance coverage (up to $50,000 per incident) is underwritten by Virginia Surety Company, Inc. Certain conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply. Not all vehicles and not all countries are covered. Details of coverage will be provided upon cardmembership.

Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver - Business Card

CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® Card
AT&T Universal Business Rewards Card

Automatic coverage when you charge the entire cost of your rental from a licensed rental agency with these cards and decline the car rental company's collision, loss/damage waiver insurance.

Visa Auto Rental Insurance coverage is primary coverage and underwritten by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America. Certain conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply. Not all vehicles and not all countries are covered. Details of coverage will be provided upon cardmembership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.