Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Cards that include “primary” auto rental CDW insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Please provide a link, if possible, to the T&C that indicates the card offers primary coverage.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Chase Bank credit cards: (Note for US Citizens, ALL Chase credit cards above offer primary CDW Internationally (as long as country of residence is USA)* (see post #293 for details).
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Limits: Up to 31 consecutive days
    • Restrictions: none.
    • Limits: no coverage for Tesla or "high value or exotic brand" automobiles. May be worthwhile to verify with Chase before renting from e.g. Silvercar. (FWIW Silvercar CS confirmed that the MSRP of their A4s are approx. $30,000 as configured.)
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite ($550 annual fee)- Guide to Benefits
  • Chase Ink Bold/Plus (when renting for business purposes)
  • Chase Ink Preferred (when renting for business purposes) - Guide to Benefits
  • Chase United MP Explorer Visa ($95 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Tesla's are not covered
  • Chase United Club Visa Infinite ($525 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
  • Chase Ritz-Carlton Card - no longer accepting new applications, however certain Marriott cardholders >1 year can apply for a product change.
  • J.P Morgan Reserve Visa Infinite - Guide to Benefits
Visa Infinite cards (except as noted below. all have the same 3 conditions):
  1. Limits: Up to 15 consecutive days in your country of residence and up to 31 days Internationally.
  2. Coverage is available worldwide except in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
  3. Maximum coverage $75,000.
  • Elan Financial Services Visa Infinite® Reserve Rewards+ Card ($390 annual fee) (offered via many banks and credit unions) Guide to Benefits
  • Capital One Venture X Visa Infinite ($395 annual fee) Guide to Benefits
  • US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite ($400 Annual fee) - PDF Download Guide to Benefits
  • City National Crystal Visa Infinite ($400 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
  • Truist Visa Infinite Card ($450 annual fee, waived for wealth clients)
  • UBS Visa Infinite ($495 annual fee) Benefits link
  • Bank of America® Premium Rewards® Elite Visa Infinite ($550 annual fee) Guide to Benefits - doesn't specifically state primary but listed in Wiki under the assumption it mirrors the benefits of the other Visa Infinite cards (double check before applying or using for insurance).
    • Maximum coverage $75,000.
  • Zenus Bank Visa Infinite Debit Card (No AF, but only eligible to those with a $19.99 p/mo bank account). Can apply from over 50 countries, no need to be a US Citizen or resident. Note, this bank is not FDIC Insured. Guide to Benefits. Note: list of fees.
Visa cards
  • ​​​​1First Bank Beyond Ultimate Visa ($150 annual fee) Guide to Benefits - May only be available to residents of Florida, Puerto Rico, & Virgin Islands.
    • No coverage for antique, expensive or exotic cars
Mastercard
  • Wells Fargo Bilt World Elite Mastercard (NO Annual Fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Primary CDW except for NY Residents
    • Coverage is available worldwide except in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
    • Maximum coverage $50,000.
Diner's Club
  • Diner's Club MC (Personal non-corporate applications "suspended") - Guide to Benefits (Premier version, but likely the same for Elite as well)
    • Restrictions: no coverage to residents of New York.
    • Limits: $500 maximum for "loss of use", passenger car/SUV must have a MSRP of less than $50,000.
American Express
  • American Express offers an upgradeable per rental primary CDW option for a low fee: https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do While fee based, this coverage is up to 42 consecutive days (11 days longer than Chase cards and 27 days longer than Visa Infinite coverage)
__________________________________________________ _____________

No longer offered:
J.P. Morgan Select Card
J.P. Morgan Palladium Card (discontinued)
Chase Fairmont Visa Signature
Discover Escape
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This page describes the Auto Rental Collision coverage provided by VISA business cards:

http://usa.visa.com/business/cards/b...to_rental.html

Note this important stipulation:

This benefit is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle as it was originally manufactured. However, if the rental is for personal reasons, this coverage supplements, and applies excess of, any valid and collectible insurance or reimbursement benefits from any source.

In other words, if you use a VISA Business card for a personal rental it provides only supplemental coverage.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: US,PC
Originally Posted by mia
This page describes the Auto Rental Collision coverage provided by VISA business cards:

http://usa.visa.com/business/cards/b...to_rental.html

Note this important stipulation:

This benefit is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle as it was originally manufactured. However, if the rental is for personal reasons, this coverage supplements, and applies excess of, any valid and collectible insurance or reimbursement benefits from any source.

In other words, if you use a VISA Business card for a personal rental it provides only supplemental coverage.
Mia,

When somebody doesn't have any supplemental insurance( don't own a vehicle, no umbrella coverage, only medical insurance), does it becomes primary coverage then?

I have a visa signature personal card and it says "this benefit is supplemental to, and excess of, any valid and collectible insurance from any other source"

Thanks,

Dracs
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dracs
When somebody doesn't have any supplemental insurance( don't own a vehicle, no umbrella coverage, only medical insurance), does it becomes primary coverage...
That is my understanding. However, remember that the card only covers damage to the rental car. If someone is injured, or there is damage to someone else's property (such as their car), you may still be responsible for those expenses. In most states the rental car company will bear some of this responsibility as owner of the vehicle, but there is variation and in your place I would want to understand the "worst case" scenario and what it would cost to insure against it.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

dracs, as mia indicates, if you have no other valid and collectible insurance, then the credit card's coverage becomes primary for you. Just be aware that Visa might void the coverage if you use a free-day or dollars-off coupon on the rental. (MasterCard's MasterRental coverage on personal cards explicitly permits such coupon use, as long as at least one full day's rental charges are charged to the card.)
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by mia
That is my understanding. However, remember that the card only covers damage to the rental car. If someone is injured, or there is damage to someone else's property (such as their car), you may still be responsible for those expenses. In most states the rental car company will bear some of this responsibility as owner of the vehicle, but there is variation and in your place I would want to understand the "worst case" scenario and what it would cost to insure against it.
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

dracs, as mia indicates, if you have no other valid and collectible insurance, then the credit card's coverage becomes primary for you. Just be aware that Visa might void the coverage if you use a free-day or dollars-off coupon on the rental. (MasterCard's MasterRental coverage on personal cards explicitly permits such coupon use, as long as at least one full day's rental charges are charged to the card.)
Thanks Mia and Guv for your replies.

Guv, just out of curiosity , I tried to look at terms and conditions of visa CDW coverage , but I couldn't find at all mention about coupon aspect.

Also does using then airline,hotel cdp and pc codes invalidate the insurance coverage provided by Visa. They normally have this %off or free weekend etc.

Also if I am correct Mastercard does not cover loss of use but Visa do?

I generally try to rent onto my visa signature.

Thanks,

Dracs
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dracs
Originally Posted by mia

Thanks Mia and Guv for your replies.

Guv, just out of curiosity , I tried to look at terms and conditions of visa CDW coverage , but I couldn't find at all mention about coupon aspect.

Also does using then airline,hotel cdp and pc codes invalidate the insurance coverage provided by Visa. They normally have this %off or free weekend etc.

Also if I am correct Mastercard does not cover loss of use but Visa do?

I generally try to rent onto my visa signature.

Thanks,

Dracs
dracs, it's precisely because the terms of Visa's coverage make no mention of coupon use that there is a problem. The terms of my Visa Signature coverage say that you must "initiate and complete the entire rental transaction with your eligible Visa card." (Emphasis added.) At least in the past, Visa has advised that using a free-day or dollars-off coupon would void the coverage since you would then not be using the Visa card to complete (i.e., pay for) the entire transaction. I assume that use of a rate discount code would not void the coverage, since you are simply getting a reduced rate, rather than using a coupon to pay for part of the rental charge, but I have never actually verified that.

MasterRental does cover reasonable loss-of-use charges with substantiation. The problem seems to be that some car-rental companies are not willing to provide the type of substantiation that MasterCard (and Visa and Amex) require.

I invariably use my MasterCard for car rentals (at least when I'm using a coupon, which is frequently), as it seems like the least risky option. And I always opt for the supplemental liability coverage, as I do not own a car, and have no umbrella coverage for rental cars.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:38 am
HCA

Thanks mia and guv1976.
Looks like I am going back to use Citi-Professional for car rental.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HCA
Thanks mia and guv1976.
Looks like I am going back to use Citi-Professional for car rental.
The only caveat is, the T&Cs do say that the rental must be for "business purposes". I dont know how they would enforce it when you file a claim. Just want to remind everyone to keep this in mind.

I know when we filed a claim for hailstorm damage with MC (one of the Citicards we used for the rental), the coverage became primary because our own car insurance policy was for liabilities only.

No idea if the card would also provide liabilities coverage if a person does not have any car insurance. My inclination is, the card only covers the damage to the car itself, nothing else.

As for us, we happily pay AMEX $19.95 (it is now 19.95 or 24.95) per rental if we are going to some place with unpredictable weather.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 26, 2010 at 6:57 pm
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dracs, it's precisely because the terms of Visa's coverage make no mention of coupon use that there is a problem. The terms of my Visa Signature coverage say that you must "initiate and complete the entire rental transaction with your eligible Visa card." (Emphasis added.) At least in the past, Visa has advised that using a free-day or dollars-off coupon would void the coverage since you would then not be using the Visa card to complete (i.e., pay for) the entire transaction. I assume that use of a rate discount code would not void the coverage, since you are simply getting a reduced rate, rather than using a coupon to pay for part of the rental charge, but I have never actually verified that.

MasterRental does cover reasonable loss-of-use charges with substantiation. The problem seems to be that some car-rental companies are not willing to provide the type of substantiation that MasterCard (and Visa and Amex) require.

I invariably use my MasterCard for car rentals (at least when I'm using a coupon, which is frequently), as it seems like the least risky option. And I always opt for the supplemental liability coverage, as I do not own a car, and have no umbrella coverage for rental cars.
It is USELESS even when the rental car company provided the documents.

This is from personal experience on a hailstorm damage using a Citicard and therefore claimed coverage with MasterRental. The rental car company's adjuster also told me she had never seen MC paid that portion of the claim among all the claims with CC coverage she processed. At the time I also asked someone in the Avis forum, who was an Avis on-site manager. He told me he never saw that part of claims was successful with his location either.

As far as I know, CC coverage does not cover liabilities, only the damage to the car itself, nothing else. If I do not have a car insurance policy nor an umbrella coverage, I would opt for supplemental liability coverage as well. The last thing you want is someone suing you for bodily injury or property damage and you have 0 coverage, but have assets.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:58 pm

Thank you Guv for detailed reply.

Dracs
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It is USELESS even when the rental car company provided the documents.

This is from personal experience on a hailstorm damage using a Citicard and therefore claimed coverage with MasterRental. The rental car company's adjuster also told me she had never seen MC paid that portion of the claim among all the claims with CC coverage she processed. At the time I also asked someone in the Avis forum, who was an Avis on-site manager. He told me he never saw that part of claims was successful with his location either.

As far as I know, CC coverage does not cover liabilities, only the damage to the car itself, nothing else. If I do not have a car insurance policy nor an umbrella coverage, I would opt for supplemental liability coverage as well. The last thing you want is someone suing you for bodily injury or property damage and you have 0 coverage, but have assets.
Point noted Happy.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:25 pm
HCA

Originally Posted by Happy
I know when we filed a claim for hailstorm damage with MC (one of the Citicards we used for the rental), the coverage became primary because our own car insurance policy was for liabilities only.

No idea if the card would also provide liabilities coverage if a person does not have any car insurance. My inclination is, the card only covers the damage to the car itself, nothing else.
Does that mean if my car insurance is liability only then "all kinds of CC's" secondary insurance will become primary for car damage?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It should be noted that the different credit cards have different requirements for loss-of-use documentation. MasterRental requires, "a location- and class-specific fleet utilization log." Visa Signature requires, "a fleet utilization log." Amex's free coverage requires, "a fleet utilization log indicating that during such time: 1) no other Rental Auto was available; and 2) there was a demand for a Rental Auto."

I do not know what Amex's Premium Car Rental insurance requires as documentation on a loss-of-use claim, but if it is the same as that required by the free Amex coverage, then Happy may be disappointed if she ever has to make such a claim.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:03 am

The new personal Continental Airlines Mastercard that was released last month offers Primary coverage.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:22 am
HCA

Does anyone know if I use DL marketplace as part of payment (e.g. 10k DL + $100 CC spending), will it void the insurance provided by CC companies?
(I remember I read it somewhere if you use discount code AMEX may avoid the insurance).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.