Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Cards that include “primary” auto rental CDW insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Please provide a link, if possible, to the T&C that indicates the card offers primary coverage.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Chase Bank credit cards: (Note for US Citizens, ALL Chase credit cards above offer primary CDW Internationally (as long as country of residence is USA)* (see post #293 for details).
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Limits: Up to 31 consecutive days
    • Restrictions: none.
    • Limits: no coverage for Tesla or "high value or exotic brand" automobiles. May be worthwhile to verify with Chase before renting from e.g. Silvercar. (FWIW Silvercar CS confirmed that the MSRP of their A4s are approx. $30,000 as configured.)
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite ($550 annual fee)- Guide to Benefits
  • Chase Ink Bold/Plus (when renting for business purposes)
  • Chase Ink Preferred (when renting for business purposes) - Guide to Benefits
  • Chase United MP Explorer Visa ($95 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Tesla's are not covered
  • Chase United Club Visa Infinite ($525 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
  • Chase Ritz-Carlton Card - no longer accepting new applications, however certain Marriott cardholders >1 year can apply for a product change.
  • J.P Morgan Reserve Visa Infinite - Guide to Benefits
Visa Infinite cards (except as noted below. all have the same 3 conditions):
  1. Limits: Up to 15 consecutive days in your country of residence and up to 31 days Internationally.
  2. Coverage is available worldwide except in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
  3. Maximum coverage $75,000.
  • Elan Financial Services Visa Infinite® Reserve Rewards+ Card ($390 annual fee) (offered via many banks and credit unions) Guide to Benefits
  • Capital One Venture X Visa Infinite ($395 annual fee) Guide to Benefits
  • US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite ($400 Annual fee) - PDF Download Guide to Benefits
  • City National Crystal Visa Infinite ($400 annual fee) - Guide to Benefits
  • Truist Visa Infinite Card ($450 annual fee, waived for wealth clients)
  • UBS Visa Infinite ($495 annual fee) Benefits link
  • Bank of America® Premium Rewards® Elite Visa Infinite ($550 annual fee) Guide to Benefits - doesn't specifically state primary but listed in Wiki under the assumption it mirrors the benefits of the other Visa Infinite cards (double check before applying or using for insurance).
    • Maximum coverage $75,000.
  • Zenus Bank Visa Infinite Debit Card (No AF, but only eligible to those with a $19.99 p/mo bank account). Can apply from over 50 countries, no need to be a US Citizen or resident. Note, this bank is not FDIC Insured. Guide to Benefits. Note: list of fees.
Visa cards
  • ​​​​1First Bank Beyond Ultimate Visa ($150 annual fee) Guide to Benefits - May only be available to residents of Florida, Puerto Rico, & Virgin Islands.
    • No coverage for antique, expensive or exotic cars
Mastercard
  • Wells Fargo Bilt World Elite Mastercard (NO Annual Fee) - Guide to Benefits
    • Primary CDW except for NY Residents
    • Coverage is available worldwide except in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
    • Maximum coverage $50,000.
Diner's Club
  • Diner's Club MC (Personal non-corporate applications "suspended") - Guide to Benefits (Premier version, but likely the same for Elite as well)
    • Restrictions: no coverage to residents of New York.
    • Limits: $500 maximum for "loss of use", passenger car/SUV must have a MSRP of less than $50,000.
American Express
  • American Express offers an upgradeable per rental primary CDW option for a low fee: https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do While fee based, this coverage is up to 42 consecutive days (11 days longer than Chase cards and 27 days longer than Visa Infinite coverage)
__________________________________________________ _____________

No longer offered:
J.P. Morgan Select Card
J.P. Morgan Palladium Card (discontinued)
Chase Fairmont Visa Signature
Discover Escape
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:09 am

A family member's rental car was stolen last month. He had paid with Chase Sapphire Preferred and called them and they said he'll be charged for the rental as if he returned it, but nothing else.

A huge reason to put rental cars on cards with primary CDW!
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Has anyone been able to book a car online without CDW?

I've rented cars in several European countries and now I'm trying to rent a car for New Zealand.

I'm checking rentalcars.com, which is showing CDW.

NZ has their Budget and Thrifty, which are presumably part of the US chains. They also have their own rental car companies.

They seem to include some kind of insurance when you book online, though they may not call it CDW.

In fact, the "CDW" described for some countries doesn't sound like the "CDW" you get when you book in the US.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by wco81

I've rented cars in several European countries and now I'm trying to rent a car for New Zealand.

NZ has their Budget and Thrifty, which are presumably part of the US chains. They also have their own rental car companies.

They seem to include some kind of insurance when you book online, though they may not call it CDW.

In fact, the "CDW" described for some countries doesn't sound like the "CDW" you get when you book in the US.
New Zealand, like many countries, require you to have "CDW", the rental car agencies must comply with the law. Ireland is another country that has the same requirement. I don't think I would rent a car in a foreign country, except Canada, without purchasing it. My insurance company, State Farm, only covers me in Canada and within a few miles inside Mexico and US border.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:05 pm
Suspended

So there must be few people able to take advantage of the CSP primary coverage on rentals outside the US then.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat

I was caught by the fact CDW isn't what we're used to as CDW in the US when renting from Avis in Milan. There's a deductible Chase coverage is still good even though it does mention that you have to decline CDW but in this case, it's not a true CDW.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
New Zealand, like many countries, require you to have "CDW", the rental car agencies must comply with the law. Ireland is another country that has the same requirement. I don't think I would rent a car in a foreign country, except Canada, without purchasing it. My insurance company, State Farm, only covers me in Canada and within a few miles inside Mexico and US border.
Ireland does not require CDW, and I am not sure that any country does. They do require liability insurance in case you injure someone. Not sure about NZ, but in Ireland that is included in the quoted rate. CDW is an add on that only insures against damage to the vehicle you rent. If you rent without CDW the agency may require a large CC hold ($5000+) to be sure they can be made whole if you wreck the car.

I just rented from Hertz in Dublin without CDW using my CSP as primary coverage. Chase provided me with a letter for proof of insurance (required by Hertz T&C), but Hertz didn't care to see it. They also didn't charge the €30 administration fee the T&C said they would for using my own insurance, which is still much better than €50/day to get the same level of coverage Chase provides for free. They also waived the requirement of a large hold as a Gold Plus Rewards customer, so they only held $299 (rental fee plus tank of gas) instead of the €5000 hold they could have placed if I rented as a non-member.

Skip the third party consolidators and go straight to the vendor to rent overseas and book as a member of their frequent renter program. It is not worth trying to save a few bucks to find out that the counter will not release a car to you without paying huge fees that cheapocarrentals.com didn't tell you about.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Only problem is, the price is usually a lot better through third parties like Auto Europe, rental cars.com, etc.

I called the Chase benefits administrator.

They said some minimal insurance is required in NZ so in that case, CSP can't provide primary insurance. So in this case, they'd be providing secondary or coverage of the deductible, with no limit on the deductible.

Well the deductible charged by Thrifty Rentals NZ is about $3000 NZD or about $2100 US.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
I was caught by the fact CDW isn't what we're used to as CDW in the US when renting from Avis in Milan. There's a deductible Chase coverage is still good even though it does mention that you have to decline CDW but in this case, it's not a true CDW.
Just received the cheque in the mail for some minor damage on a rental in Milan paid with my Sapphire card. Took a while (a couple of weeks) to get the proper documentation from Avis and happy that the process was relatively painless.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
As I peruse the online blogs who discuss this topic they almost universally describe Visa as only covering up to 15 days. However, the Chase T&C's specifically show up to 31 consecutive days for the United Explorer Card. I wonder if this is solely a carve out for this United Chase Visa or if others have it.

Also missing from the list is the American Express Premium Car Rental Protection (perhaps because it costs extra)? I just cancelled my coverage with Amex as I now have the United Explorer card and the coverage appears duplicative to me.

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Jun 16, 2016 at 5:37 pm
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Do people book directly with agencies which let you decline CDW so they can get primary coverage on Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Amex premium rental insurance?

It seems all the third-party brokers include CDW.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Do people book directly with agencies which let you decline CDW so they can get primary coverage on Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Amex premium rental insurance?

It seems all the third-party brokers include CDW.
I book direct because it almost always gets me the lowest price (via corp discounts or other affiliations).
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
As I peruse the online blogs who discuss this topic they almost universally describe Visa as only covering up to 15 days. However, the Chase T&C's specifically show up to 31 consecutive days for the United Explorer Card. I wonder if this is solely a carve out for this United Chase Visa or if others have it.

Also missing from the list is the American Express Premium Car Rental Protection (perhaps because it costs extra)? I just cancelled my coverage with Amex as I now have the United Explorer card and the coverage appears duplicative to me.
If you don't rent a car with an Amex card you would never pay for the premium rental protection.

I also have the United Explorer and Chase Sapphire Preferred, but anything over $50,000 I'd be more comfortable with Amex.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM
I use Citi Professional, which unfortunately is no longer open to new applications. However, if you have one sitting around, this is a very nice perk of this fee-free card.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
If you don't rent a car with an Amex card you would never pay for the premium rental protection.

I also have the United Explorer and Chase Sapphire Preferred, but anything over $50,000 I'd be more comfortable with Amex.
Interesting that you are more comfortable with >$50k. I read the plan t&c's for United explorer and they make no mention of a cap. They do exclude exotic (although I never rent such). Generally up to full-size for me so I'm good. Amex is $100k cap so that clearly protects you for more expensive vehicles. Why do you feel that United caps at $50k?

And you make a good point re Amex. I should've kept it active in case I made a mistake and used Amex. Still, since I'll always use United Explorer now, no harm, no foul.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Added Chase Sapphire Reserve to WIKI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.