Wiki Posts
Search

Wells Fargo Debit Card Reward Program

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Wells Fargo Debit Card Reward Program

Hello all,

Has anyone used the Wells Fargo Debit Reward program that offerrs airfare for points + cash? My mortgage has been bought by them and I'm wondering if it's worth it to open a checking account there for household use. From what I found, it looks like one point for every $4, but I can't find a reward chart for air tickets. Thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:58 am

$4 = 1 point is a poor way to earn points. I think you're better off just signing up for a rewards card with your preferred airline. Their credit card is a much better choice ($1 = 1 point) but still not a very good one.

Looking at their rewards program the only decent thing on their list are gift cards.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are the points basically miles? Just the term "point" doesn't mean much without some basis for the value of the point.

How many points for a domestic RT? Are there restrictions?

How many points for how much cash?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Probably one of these two programs:

https://enhancedrewards.wellsfargore...iewHomePage.do

https://exclusiverewards.wellsfargor...iewHomePage.do

Either way 5,000 = $50. This means one-point per $4 spend is a pathetic 1/4%
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

I think the fact that it's impossible to find just how many points they are going to require for a given itinerary is probably an indication of how poor the rewards scheme really is. I had looked at those two links and the only hint i could find was that air travel required a minimum of 5K points - $20K in spending. That was so bad I thought perhaps I was missing something.

This looks about the equivalent of the crappy perks program Comerica instituted after they lost the NW debit card. I "priced" a ticket that was $430 for ... <drumroll> ... 185K points! At one point to a dollar of spending ... good God. I loved the NW debit card - got a free ticket from that at least every six months.

AA is my preferred airline, but Citibank repulses me, and I've read on FT about how much trouble many people have had with getting the miles they earned according to the rules. Citi is also not very convenient for me.

Methinks my best bet at this point is Chase+Continental/United. I've already gotten the 25K checking account bonus and can probably keep racking up two tickets a year with that debit card.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.