Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Fidelity 2% cashback AmEx-network card [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fidelity 2% cashback AmEx-network card [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by swf83
That is pretty neat that the AMEX Fidelity card shows up when you log into Fidelity. Does the same apply for the Fidelity Visa Investment Rewards card?
It does.

I'm not aware of any promotional offers for the cards, have never seen any really.

Can anyone confirm that auto redemption still happens monthly even before reaching 5000 points?

Their website explicitly states 5000 points so was wondering if this was just some bug that has now been fixed.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: DL, HH, SPG, AMEX
Fidelity AmEx

The fidelity AmEx earns 2pts per$ spent and allows you to deposit those points into your fidelity account at a rate of 5k = $50. This isn't new to FT.

I haven't seen this posted:
When reading through the terms it seems you can opt out of that and use your points in the worldpoints program instead at a redemption rate of 25,000 = $400 domestic ticket.

Working out to about 3.2% redemption rate on all purchases (if you get a $400 ticket exactly) with no annual fee.

Sorry if this has already been posted. Thoughts?

"within the 48 continental states of the U.S.: 25,000/$400; from the 48 states to Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico: 35,000/$600; from the 48 states to Alaska, Hawaii, the Bahamas, Bermuda or the Caribbean; 45,000/$600; from the 48 states to Europe: 60,000/$800; and from the 48 states to Central or South America, Asia, Africa, or the South Pacific: 85,000/$1,150. The number of Points and corresponding MDV required for first- or business-class air rewards from the 48 states to any location listed above, are: 100,000/$1,500"
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:28 am

I just noticed in World points program details that Basic Air rewards (these are the rewards that have maximum value specified) are only available to Visa Signature and World Master card card holders only -

Here is the link to program details.

So it looks like American Express credit card holders are not allowed to book those awards. If this is true Fidelity Amex is just 2% card.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:59 am

I had seen that as well and found it contradictory to the Ts&Cs of the card. Here are the full Ts&Cs you can scroll down to page 5 for travel rewards:

http://personal.fidelity.com/product...nt_rewards.pdf

Curious, makes me believe the ones you linked to may need to be updated? Either that or the ones for the fidelity card aren't valid.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't totally rule out the Fidelity AMEX benefits as detailed by Fidelity site - World Points Program redemption schedules on its main site, are NOT the same for certain specific cards, particularly the cards are from brokerage firms.

Case in point, I have a Schwab Visa that I obtained several years ago when it offered 0% forex (subsequently changed once MBNA was sold to BofA). It earns World Points, but the redemption on cash is TWICE the value as the regular World Points. In that, 2500 World Points earned thru this card, gets a $25 check, the minimum redemption level. I believe the generic World Point program requires TWICE as many points, i.e. only 1/2 the value, when you redeem for cash.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
I believe from this publication, you can redeem your WP earned by your Fidelity Amex in the Basic Air Reward (25K=$400MDV). However there are some catches:

Unless redeeming Points for first- or business class travel, the ticket will be coach-class and the lowest fare available through the travel provider at the time of booking. Reservations and ticketing require at least 21 days' advance notice and must include a Saturday night stay. Most
international travel: stay at least 7 but no more than 30 days. Check requirements when booking. Stopovers of more than 4 hours are not permitted and there is no limit on connections.

Basically you cannot choose the airline you want to fly. They will figure it out for you and if the value exceeds $400, you cannot enjoy the Basic Air Reward. Not very practical IMHO.

Originally Posted by aduncan
I had seen that as well and found it contradictory to the Ts&Cs of the card. Here are the full Ts&Cs you can scroll down to page 5 for travel rewards:

http://personal.fidelity.com/product...nt_rewards.pdf

Curious, makes me believe the ones you linked to may need to be updated? Either that or the ones for the fidelity card aren't valid.
Old May 10, 2010, 1:58 pm

Thanks for that information. That makes that feature virtually worthless in my opinion. Therefore I would use it just as a 2% card.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:15 am

Switching to Fidelity Amex?

Hi everyone,

I currently have the Amex Blue Sky card. I want to switch to the Fidelity Amex card (2% of spending goes towards Fidelity brokerage account).

My main concern is this: I am young, 20, and a student in college. I have had the Blue Sky card for about 1.5 years now and last I checked I had a good credit score. I know that length of credit is important in calculating credit, so I want to ask you what you think about switching over to the Fidelity card. The rewards are better and more easily accessible. Would switching have a significantly negative impact on my credit?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by andrew52
Hi everyone,

I currently have the Amex Blue Sky card. I want to switch to the Fidelity Amex card (2% of spending goes towards Fidelity brokerage account).

My main concern is this: I am young, 20, and a student in college. I have had the Blue Sky card for about 1.5 years now and last I checked I had a good credit score. I know that length of credit is important in calculating credit, so I want to ask you what you think about switching over to the Fidelity card. The rewards are better and more easily accessible. Would switching have a significantly negative impact on my credit?

Are you planning on making a major purchase in the near term? If not, dont worry about it and get the Fido card. While you are at it, open a Roth IRA and do automatic investment - you can thank me later

Last edited by jamflyer; Jan 18, 2011 at 11:49 am
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

The Blue Sky card is issued by American Express, but the Fidelity card is an Amex-network card issued by Bank of America (probably through a subsidiary called FIA.) American Express will not be in any way involved in the administration of the Fidelity card. They simply process transactions in exactly the same fashion as MasterCard or VISA.

I suggest that you leave the Blue Sky card open. There's no annual fee, and the available credit line should improve your credit score.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Hi everyone,

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

The Blue Sky card is issued by American Express, but the Fidelity card is an Amex-network card issued by Bank of America (probably through a subsidiary called FIA.) American Express will not be in any way involved in the administration of the Fidelity card. They simply process transactions in exactly the same fashion as MasterCard or VISA.

I suggest that you leave the Blue Sky card open. There's no annual fee, and the available credit line should improve your credit score.
I agree with mia. Leave your Blue Sky Card open and apply for the Fidelity AMEX seperately. It definitely is a better card than Blue Sky. If you can locate the MC flavor of Fidelity card with same 2 points/$ reward, then apply for that one. This way you are not turned down by vendors who do not accept AMEX.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:14 pm

Thanks for the replies.

A few days ago I was pretty set on switching, but I did some more research and learned of the discrepancy between the quality of service of Amex and BoA. While the Blue Sky rewards take longer to reach, I think having Amex's strong cardholder protection is worth losing out on the better rewards of Fidelity's card. One bad merchant experience can make up for the difference between reward payouts.

I don't have any other questions but please do let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks for the welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
I did some more research and learned of the discrepancy between the quality of service of Amex and BoA... I think having Amex's strong cardholder protection is worth losing out on the better rewards of Fidelity's card.
Smart decision.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:47 pm

I've never had to use "cardholder protection".

I'll take my 2% cashback.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:47 am

i applied for the fidelity AMEX card today and it was advertised with 60 seconds decision.. however, at the end of the application process i received a message saying that they will send me a letter within 30 days with the decision. does that mean i've been denied?? i only have 1 other BoA credit card at this time and perfect credit record. thanks for any inputs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.