Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

how many credit cards can you apply in one whole year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

can you get like 10 cards?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
depends on you current credit score and previous application history, if it is strong enough, then skies the limit. Otherwise, its not advisable, do you really need ten credit cards?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 1:33 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Go for it!

However do be careful as many cc issuers are looking for the small percentage of the population whom try to take advantage thirough aor and such. I have heard of people Lines closed due to excessive inquires - especially if you have many applications within a short period of time (ie applying for 10 cards at once).

IMHO, ATM, there are not 10 cards out there worth applying for, would you mind enlightening us as to why you are interested Ian applying for 10 cards? (rewards,need more credit,...?)
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joesmoe
Go for it!

However do be careful as many cc issuers are looking for the small percentage of the population whom try to take advantage thirough aor and such. I have heard of people Lines closed due to excessive inquires - especially if you have many applications within a short period of time (ie applying for 10 cards at once).

IMHO, ATM, there are not 10 cards out there worth applying for, would you mind enlightening us as to why you are interested Ian applying for 10 cards? (rewards,need more credit,...?)
I am thinking of applying for the starwood and amex hilton and amex delta.....
and chase freedom and chase priority and chase united.....
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by apollo_liumin

That sounds Reasonable, but you may want to be careful applying for 3 ccards from chase at once, though you may be alright. I generally try to keep my mini-aor's to one card per issuer (though i often also apply for one personal and one business at the same time from each bank and have had both the biz and pers card approved together.

I assume you are talking about the amex delta reserve card. When i applied for the delta reserve card I didn't get it, I am a current plat charge holder (good standing for 7+ Years), but still got denied. So maybe with Amex just apply for the reserve card, then after that decision apply for the others.

Good luck.

And btw, I think your credit score and history will be far more of a factor tthan how many or how frequently you applied for cards.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:28 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Space it every 3 months from alternate companies
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:36 am
In memoriam

I used to do 30-40 a year. But, things have changed due to the recent madness in the credit biz.

IMHO: right now is a time to take it REAL easy. Personally, I am resting up for another six months or so with very minimal app activity.

If I were starting now I would stay away from any Chase issued card (e.g. UAL) because Chase appears very hot to turn folks down right now.

I would be looking at the Citi AA cards. Maybe apply for a personal card and see how it goes. You could likely also be successful with an app for an Amex Starwood in the same period, assuming your credit report looks pretty good and you have a decent credit score.

Start slow in these tricky times.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
The good old days are over. Amex lets you have only 2 personal and 2 business cards. Chase now seems to have a 1 new card every 6 months policy (although there are exceptions).
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by PatMike
The good old days are over. Amex lets you have only 2 personal and 2 business cards. Chase now seems to have a 1 new card every 6 months policy (although there are exceptions).
Untrue.

I've had Blue card for 3 years, Gold Premier for about 7 months, and just got the Starwood 2 weeks ago.

All 3 are personal AMEX cards.

But I tend to agree that trying to go and get 10 cards in 1 year is a bit too much. I'm going to guess that the credit limits you get offered will be very low.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: A few
It is getting very hard. I have a stellar credit but missed out on both ba and ua offers from chase because of number of accounts recently opened. pleaded with their reconsiderations but no avail. just to spell this out... fico around 750, income half way to seven figures, not a single late payment, no balances carried and offering to allow them to take credit line from another card i already have - and still NO. Not even $1000 line.

actually it is just bad credit underwriting imho
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:26 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
It is getting very hard. I have a stellar credit but missed out on both ba and ua offers from chase because of number of accounts recently opened. pleaded with their reconsiderations but no avail. just to spell this out... fico around 750, income half way to seven figures, not a single late payment, no balances carried and offering to allow them to take credit line from another card i already have - and still NO. Not even $1000 line.

actually it is just bad credit underwriting imho
same here
chase BA final denial after initial approval (FOR $500) that occured after reconsideration request because application was orginally denied....
FICO 780
Chase has gone CRAZY....
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:40 am

I am going to make one last try and offer to CASH COLLATERALIZE my credit limit!!!! Worth a shot....
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frank_10b
same here
chase BA final denial after initial approval (FOR $500) that occured after reconsideration request because application was orginally denied....
FICO 780
Chase has gone CRAZY....
Then I am just wondering, if I got one card application declined, can I try to apply for the same card every 2 months, or even shorter, let us say, every 1 month?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:10 am

Then I am just wondering, if I got one card application declined, can I try to apply for the same card every 2 months, or even shorter, let us say, every 1 month?
You will rack up too many inquiries and while impact on SCORE may not be bad it will hurt you trying to get credit
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:46 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by rajuabju
Untrue. I've had Blue card for 3 years, Gold Premier for about 7 months, and just got the Starwood 2 weeks ago. All 3 are personal AMEX cards.
Note that these are only 2 credit cards. There is a charge card above as well. Try applying for a 3rd credit card - will fail. If you have it already that is OK, else no go.
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I am going to make one last try and offer to CASH COLLATERALIZE my credit limit!!!! Worth a shot....
Just get the debit cards, e.g, continental Chase etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.