Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Miles for Rent/Mortgage/Tuition? [Consolidated]

Miles for Rent/Mortgage/Tuition? [Consolidated]

Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:11 pm

Payments on ChargeSmart are a normal purchase - not a cash advance.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Buck30
Dont know if you want to earn out of your main programs, but US and AS via Bank of America lets you earn miles with pin OR signed transactions, so purchase money orders from the USPS using pin and pay with money orders. USPS charges about $1.90 per $1k transaction. I have also been using pin or signature transactions at safeway on gift cards/prepaid credit cards, and also earn 1mile/2$ with safeways grocery miles, however that program ends 28Feb.
Are you getting charged cash advance fees because you used the pin? Or is this pulling money direct from your bank account?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Buck30
Dont know if you want to earn out of your main programs, but US and AS via Bank of America lets you earn miles with pin OR signed transactions, so purchase money orders from the USPS using pin and pay with money orders. USPS charges about $1.90 per $1k transaction. I have also been using pin or signature transactions at safeway on gift cards/prepaid credit cards, and also earn 1mile/2$ with safeways grocery miles, however that program ends 28Feb.
This DOES NOT work.
The T&C's of the BOA debit card say:
"Quasi-cash transactions, which are transactions convertible to cash and
include the purchase of money orders, travelers checks, foreign currency,
cashier’s checks, gaming chips, and other similar instruments and things
of value" do not earn miles.
http://www.bankofamerica.com/deposit...eckcards_usair
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM+ GOLD, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by ChargeSmartPhilip
Payments on ChargeSmart are a normal purchase - not a cash advance.
Yes, to second the quote from the horse's mouth, I recently made my mortgage payment via ChargeSmart using my Citi AAdvantage MC and it was tagged as a purchase by Citi. The whole process was very smooth and the payment posted within a couple of business days.

ChargeSmart charged a flat transaction fee of $24.95 and then a "large transaction security fee" (sort of their insurance against fraud) of $38.74 for my mortgage payment of $2,565.18. I know that the fee seems huge but, at roughly 2.4 cents per mile, I'll take it given how far the (AAdvantage) miles can take me, literally (international travel in particular using OneWorld awards)!

Also, from trial-and-error, I found that there'd be no large transaction fee for a payment amount under $1,100. ChargeSmartPhilip, is that accurate?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by garimell
I know that the fee seems huge but, at roughly 2.4 cents per mile, I'll take it given how far the (AAdvantage) miles can take me, literally (international travel in particular using OneWorld awards)
OK, but I think in the latest promotion you can buy miles directly from AA at a better rate.

To me, the fee could be worth it if it helps meet some CC spending threshold.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
Yes, to second the quote from the horse's mouth, I recently made my mortgage payment via ChargeSmart using my Citi AAdvantage MC and it was tagged as a purchase by Citi. The whole process was very smooth and the payment posted within a couple of business days.

ChargeSmart charged a flat transaction fee of $24.95 and then a "large transaction security fee" (sort of their insurance against fraud) of $38.74 for my mortgage payment of $2,565.18. I know that the fee seems huge but, at roughly 2.4 cents per mile, I'll take it given how far the (AAdvantage) miles can take me, literally (international travel in particular using OneWorld awards)!

Also, from trial-and-error, I found that there'd be no large transaction fee for a payment amount under $1,100. ChargeSmartPhilip, is that accurate?
That transaction fee would be a deal killer for me. It explains on their website that it is for insurance to cover higher value transactions.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:23 pm

and then a "large transaction security fee" (sort of their insurance against fraud) of $38.74 for my mortgage payment of $2,565.18.
Is this a "hold" or a refundable fee? I don't understand the concept of a security "fee", as it would cover a charge not going through, as you say, but when it does, wouldn't the fee be released/refunded??

Or are we talking essentially another fee that they've just lent a BS name to?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz
Is this a "hold" or a refundable fee? I don't understand the concept of a security "fee", as it would cover a charge not going through, as you say, but when it does, wouldn't the fee be released/refunded??

Or are we talking essentially another fee that they've just lent a BS name to?
It was definitely not refunded for me. It is indeed to pay their insurance premiums to cover any potential loss (not just from my transaction but overall). Let's see if Phillip from ChargeSmart says something about it.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I just checked my mortgage and it works out to .003 per mile - which would definitely be worth it! ^

At what point in the process can you determine if there is a "large transaction fee"? If indeed it covers all payment >$1100 that would kill the deal

My car payment clocks in at .014 per mile, not really worth it though I guess cheaper than buying miles if you really need them.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
At what point in the process can you determine if there is a "large transaction fee"? If indeed it covers all payment >$1100 that would kill the deal
The Large Payment Security Fee shows up in "STEP 4: REVIEW" before actually submitting the payment.

It does seem to cover all payments > $1,100. Starts at $5.21 for a payment of $1,101 and keeps going up based on what formula, I don't know...
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:50 pm

I'd like to see them post a fee schedule on the website. Then I'll know who to choose for refinancing.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by mserle
This DOES NOT work.
The T&C's of the BOA debit card say:
"Quasi-cash transactions, which are transactions convertible to cash and
include the purchase of money orders, travelers checks, foreign currency,
cashier’s checks, gaming chips, and other similar instruments and things
of value" do not earn miles.
Purchases on ChargeSmart are not categorized as "quasi-cash." As mentioned previously, and as seen by garimell, ChargeSmart transactions are treated as traditional retail purchases.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:45 pm

The threshold at which the security fee kicks in varies according to the company you're paying. The primary factor used to determine how and when to apply the large payment security fee is the average payment amount to that particular biller on ChargeSmart. This number fluctuates and will cause the fee to be applied accordingly.

Regarding the distinction of "fee" vs. "deposit" (that would presumably be returned) the large payment security fee is a fee. Just as insurance premiums aren't returned, nor is this.

We are aware that fees are the primary reason that someone elects to not make a payment with us, and are making every effort to reduce our fees in time. If it made sense from a business standpoint, we'd remove them altogether, but unfortunately that's not the case...
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, USAir, United, AA, Continental
Originally Posted by 4Health
I just checked for my mortgage with Wells Fargo and they charge a flat $9.95 fee per payment. Works out to less than 1% fee. Not sure if its worth it or not.
I have a mortgage with Wells Fargo too... I can't figure out how to do this. Would you mind sharing with us how you went about this?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by ChargeSmartPhilip

Regarding the distinction of "fee" vs. "deposit" (that would presumably be returned) the large payment security fee is a fee. Just as insurance premiums aren't returned, nor is this.

We are aware that fees are the primary reason that someone elects to not make a payment with us, and are making every effort to reduce our fees in time...but unfortunately that's not the case...
LOL. Well you had me up until that clarification. Passing your chargeback issues onto your customers is ridiculous. And since you don't accept Amex, which explained on YOUR OWN SITE, is the primary chargeback offender against you (initiated from the cardholder, of course), you explanation doesn't hold water. At least not to me. I was ready to throw 2 mortgages and 3 vehicles worth of payments your way, totaling over $11K/month...and I was willing to forego using my Amex Cent card to make said payments since you don't accept Amex, and put it on my CitiAAPreferred Mastercard. BUT charging your service fee as a fee - and then imposing a 2nd much shadier, uncalled for, deceptively titled, and improperly imposed fee on your customer makes me not want to do business with ChargeSmart. Further, I'm going to have to advise my longtime FT friends, not to mention my miles/points obsessed clients, family and friends to avoid your service as well.

You see, even if the 2nd "security" fee was a dollar, that would be $1 too much, since you're already imposing your business service fee to begin with. I'd rather you raise that fee and make it all inclusive - but to charge that 2nd ridiculous fee and institute an even more ludicirous method of calculation based on the "amount of payments processed to that company" in any given month borders on hilarity - if for no other reason then you can't see how many potential customers you're actually alienating with it.

I was actually one of the first on FT to push the concept of Card-It back in the day, but Phillip, this 2nd fee for ChargeSmart is just absolutely ill-conceived, now that you've "fully" explained it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.