Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Surpass card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond,,B6,DL,WN
Hilton Surpass card

I have the regular Hilton no fee card but have been inundated with offers to upgrade to the Surpass card for 75.00/year. I think 1 offer had a 65,000 bonus point offer. I am tempted to take it for the bonus! It also has me wondering if AmEx might be planning to do away with the free card. Any one know anything about that?
Has anyone taken the upgrade and have you found it worth it(for other than the bonus points)?

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA 1MM
Originally Posted by likry2000
I have the regular Hilton no fee card but have been inundated with offers to upgrade to the Surpass card for 75.00/year. I think 1 offer had a 65,000 bonus point offer. I am tempted to take it for the bonus! It also has me wondering if AmEx might be planning to do away with the free card. Any one know anything about that?
Has anyone taken the upgrade and have you found it worth it(for other than the bonus points)?

Thanks!
I did. Unless one spends 40K, basically there's no difference between the two cards, but I thought spending extra 20K (on top of 20K) and becoming a HH Diamond was a good potential upside.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
HHonors has announced devaluation in January 2010. You might want to check the threads where this discussion is ongoing.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...elsewhere.html

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...eward/index.do
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...wondering if AmEx might be planning to do away with the free card....
Unlikely. Citi also issues a no annual fee HHonors card. Competition would make it difficult for American Express to withdraw its basic card. However, I would not be surprised to see them gradually dilute the earnings or benefits to edge closer to the Citi card and make Surpass look more attractive. If you look at other American Express card "families" (e. g. Membership Rewards, Delta Skymiles) you notice they are all about upsell. I expect you will receive Surpass solicitations in perpetuity.

Originally Posted by jeelele
HHonors has announced devaluation in January 2010.
Last year it was Starwood that "devalued" and Flyertalkers were fleeing to Hilton. The best deal always ends, it's the nature of markets.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:09 pm

I just applied to upgrade and am waiting for a response (Guess it wasn't 60 secs for some reason). I was asked if wanted to upgrade for 40k when looking at the account online without the bonus offer.

Is it to late for me- any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 3:27 pm
nsr

Thanks!
Check this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...errerid=103701
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond,,B6,DL,WN
Well I would never spend 40,000 on one card so the status upgrade would be for 1 year only in my case. The initial points are tempting. And we are not business travelers so the extra points for stays isn't attractive to me. As a matter of fact, the only trip planned for next year is to burn some HH points and Delta miles (with a couple of college scouting trips thrown in). Hmmm. I'll have to think it over again. I just got another email offer!
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Follow discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...n-express.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.