Wiki Posts
Search

JCB/Discover Alliance: Status check.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
JCB/Discover Alliance: Status check.

Based on the statements from JCB as well as Discover, JCB cards are "now accepted on the Discover network". I am a JCB card holder in Nevada and I must say they are NOT. If I attempt to use my card at a merchant that accepts Discover but never did accept JCB cards, I always get declined. A flagship example is the M Resort. Does anyone have any more info about the above?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by greglvnv
Based on the statements from JCB as well as Discover, JCB cards are "now accepted on the Discover network". I am a JCB card holder in Nevada and I must say they are NOT. If I attempt to use my card at a merchant that accepts Discover but never did accept JCB cards, I always get declined. A flagship example is the M Resort. Does anyone have any more info about the above?
Sorry, I don't have any more info, but what did JCB say when you contacted them?

Also, what do you mean by "decline" -- did the computer decline the card, or did the human you gave it to look at the card and say that the business didn't accept JCB cards?

When Diner's Club became a MasterCard I had a few cases of the latter (human said "we don't take Diner's Club"...)
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Well. Based on my research, JCB claims that their card's acceptance is equivalent to Discover's, at least in the US. It is not the case though.

By "declined" I mean that I give it to a clerk, they run it and it's simply declined as in "not accepted" even though they actually do accept Discover cards.

As for reactions to the card, the difference between Diners Club and JCB is the following. Clerks usually know what DC is and they know they did not accept it before it ever became an MC, so they keep on refusing it. As for JCB, the reaction is usually "I have never seen one like this before but I'm willing to try if it works."

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by greglvnv; Dec 15, 2009 at 1:31 pm
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:27 am

Programs: AA:1MM
what country was your JCB issued in?
have you called your bank and told them it's not being accepted?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

My JCB was issued in the US. They offer it in a number of states.
I called them but it seems like they have no clue why it's not accepted or when it will be.

Don't get me wrong though. JCB is a good card and their customer service is excellent, the acceptance is an issue though and it has not been solved.

To me, the whole Discover/JCB/Diners Club mutual acceptance agreement is a great idea, but the actual implementation has been a failure so far.

Last edited by greglvnv; Dec 15, 2009 at 1:32 pm
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:15 pm

JCB indicated in correspondence that the Discover integration was not yet "fully complete." Considering the JCB website is updated about twice a year, makes sense. Still a good card (1.1% forex fees), especially if going to Asia and you live in a state where you can get the card.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

I really like the JCB card.
The only thing I'm really missing is online account access and online payments.

Did you actually get some correspondence from JCB regarding the Discover integration?
If so, does it indicate when the implementation would be complete?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:12 pm

Not any sort of official correspondence. I emailed them when I tried to use at a Discover merchant. And while I do like the card, and have hopes, it also didn't work in the UK at a merchant that had a JCB sticker on the window. Maybe they only took Japanese chip cards. But the wide acceptance in Asia, combined with low forex fees, and 1% cash back (if you spend min $100/month) make it worth keeping. Can't have too many varieties.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Look at this:

http://www.discovernetwork.com/

Would be nice if really true.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by greglvnv
I use my JCB card all over Las Vegas at DISC merchants. I wonder if the M uses a third party processor that is not set up correctly?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:19 am

Is it possible that JCB cards issued in the United States may be on a different network than JCB cards from Japan?

I have a a friend who is from Japan and has a JCB and she can use it at all merchants accepting Discover so far in Seattle.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by htcx86
Is it possible that JCB cards issued in the United States may be on a different network than JCB cards from Japan?

I have a a friend who is from Japan and has a JCB and she can use it at all merchants accepting Discover so far in Seattle.
my JCB is issued in the U.S. I've used it all over Asia and the U.S. with nary a problem with discover networks.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

I tried it at my Barber Shop at the Mandalay Place (the Art of Shaving) and TGI Friday's at the SunCoast and it was a no go (declined). The Art of Shaving had Discover and Union Pay logos prominently displayed behind the cash register. TGI Friday's accepts Discover as well.

I gave up on JCB for now and using Amex again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.