Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of the PenFed Premium Travel Rewards Amex Card, described here: https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card/

No annual fee
Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
Earn 1 point on all other purchases
20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account

There are several similarly named PenFed cards. Please see the chart at the top of the
Master Thread: PenFed Family of Cards + Chip & PIN Questions to make sure you post in the correct thread!
Print Wikipost

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mediahound
It's for all card holders. They posted it on their Facebook page.

1.25% back on 'other' purchases doesn't do a whole lot for me either. I get 1.5% cashback with my Capital One Cash Rewards card.

Good time to book travel though if you can plan ahead; 6.25% back is darn good!
Yeah, especially since 6.25% works out to an effective airline ticket rebate (if you use it to book travel) of about 9% -- 25% better than usual. But who can plan airline ticket purchases like THAT?

Of course, we'll all take it, and feel good about it!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, especially since 6.25% works out to an effective airline ticket rebate (if you use it to book travel) of about 9% -- 25% better than usual. But who can plan airline ticket purchases like THAT?

Of course, we'll all take it, and feel good about it!
exactly. I just booked three trips for 2012 using my penfed card.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks, elbombo. I'm guessing everyone will get the bonus, since that's how they've done it in the past, but who knows.

Of course, the 25% bonus won't make too many people change their credit card usage. An extra .25% on "all purchases" ain't gonna do it for me. Bumping up the airfare bonus by 25% will be nice, but I'd use the card for airline tickets anyway.
well for purchases outside the US I use my penfed amex for the zero FETF so an additional .25 is nothing to sneeze at
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Does the card still offer Priority Pass membership of passes?

Any reason to choose this card over some of the Capital One cards, none of which have an annual fee or foreign transaction fee, and all of which are geared towards travelers..

Thanks!

p.s. I'd try looking at the site, but my internet is quite fishy right now, and I'm having trouble reading more on the card and its current benefits
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Does the card still offer Priority Pass membership of passes?

Any reason to choose this card over some of the Capital One cards, none of which have an annual fee or foreign transaction fee, and all of which are geared towards travelers..

Thanks!

p.s. I'd try looking at the site, but my internet is quite fishy right now, and I'm having trouble reading more on the card and its current benefits

Yes but only if you spend $15k and they give you 2 free passes as well as the membership.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:32 pm

Do transfer miles count

Does anyone know if *everything* charged to the airlines counts for the 5%?
For example, the fee for purchasing/transferring/gifting miles?

Has anyone tried? Specifically interested in Delta and US Airways.

Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slc39
Does anyone know if *everything* charged to the airlines counts for the 5%?
For example, the fee for purchasing/transferring/gifting miles?

Has anyone tried? Specifically interested in Delta and US Airways.

Thanks.
For US Airways, those three are billed by points.com.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BigEdInVancouver
...I found good PenFed "point fares" to Hawaii on Hawaiian Air versus the point fare on other airlines. (IIRC, it was something like 30K points on Hawaiian versus 45K on others, but the dollar cost was nearly the same.) So, the point ratio was better than the dollar cost ratio for the same tickets.
Unfortunately, I've been trying to book travel through penfed after spending some $70,000 with their card over the last year. After spending a week dealing with them on the phone where I must have spent at least 10 hours on the phone with them altogether, they are still unable to book a simple international roundtrip ticket. Their website shows the seats are available, I fill in all the info, and then the order just disappears, but since I had not enough points and needed to do a buyin they also put a hold of $1000 on my card for the order. I've had to do this over a dozen times along with their support reps, and now there are $16k of holds on my card, and still after one week I have no tickets. They have no way to book the tickets manually, even though both continental and Delta show availability and I can book the tickets there at any other online travel site. Their support reps always promise to get back to me, and never do. So now I have 90,000 penfed points that are just sitting there useless in my account. After one week of this, and watching the airfare creep up the whole time, I just paid cash for these tickets elsewhere. I am so fed up with penfed over this that I just want to cancel their card because to me it seems the points are completely useless.

Last edited by mia; Nov 1, 2011 at 10:07 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by nombody
I am so fed up with penfed over this that I just want to cancel their card because to me it seems the points are completely useless.
At least liquidate the points first, you can get $900 in gift cards to some restaurants and such...

Last edited by mia; Nov 1, 2011 at 10:08 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am so fed up with penfed over this that I just want to cancel their card because to me it seems the points are completely useless.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I know PenFed Travel Rewards is not glitch free. I don't accumulate enough points for big-money tickets -- I usually use my points for relatively cheap flights -- like an interisland Hawaii flights for my family. I've only had 1 rez "disappear." I waited a few days, and just rebooked it. Not sure what happened. My other PenFed Travel transactions have gone off without a hitch.

Last edited by mia; Nov 1, 2011 at 10:09 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Am I just imagining things, or were these points worth ~1.6c before? They now seem to be worth 1.2-1.25c.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:53 am

Unfortunately, I've been trying to book travel through penfed after spending some $70,000 with their card over the last year. ... So now I have 90,000 penfed points that are just sitting there useless in my account. After one week of this, and watching the airfare creep up the whole time, I just paid cash for these tickets elsewhere. I am so fed up with penfed over this that I just want to cancel their card because to me it seems the points are completely useless.

how did 70K in spending result in only 90K in points? I mainly use this card for airfare purchases and, when the promo was on, hotels and meals. For day to day purchases I'd rather use a 2% cashback card.

I've not had any problem redeeming with PenFed. Before canceling in a huff, you should at least cash-out gift cards for Fairmont or something else. I would also suggest writing to the powers that be at penfed (and the company that operates its travel booking) about your terrible experience.

Last edited by mia; Nov 1, 2011 at 10:09 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:43 am

Programs: DL, HH, SPG, AMEX
In my experience you can only use IE to book rewards. All other browsers won't show the final checkout page. Have you tried that?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: MR, CUR, Globalist, Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
I am not sure about car rental coverage but for hotels the Penfed amex gives users access to amex's Luxury Hotel Privileges and Hotel Privileges.

The fine print on the site used to book travel with this card states:

When I compare the benefits of booking via the Travel Privileges site and directly through amex using a platinum charge card (US) there is a great deal of similarity.

The Travel Privileges site also offers concierge service provided by AXA Assistance which is who I believe offers amex's concierge service.
After about 45-60 days after you get the card, it says they will cover any car non luxury with a value of up to 50k dollars. I think the other parts of the insurance were something like 100/200/100.(don't quote me on that) If you got the decent packet with the book with benefits shortly after you signed up it says that. So I always rent cheap cars unless I get the free upgrade, call me a cheapskate, but if the car is worth under 50k bucks regardless of where you rent it it seems to be ok. Even when I had an amex platinum I never used the lounges because they tended to be too far away, Even though I travel 12 times a year I just didn't see it.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj
Am I just imagining things, or were these points worth ~1.6c before? They now seem to be worth 1.2-1.25c.
Yes the points have been devalued by 22% with no prior communication. Disappointing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.