Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of the PenFed Premium Travel Rewards Amex Card, described here: https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card/

No annual fee
Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
Earn 1 point on all other purchases
20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account

There are several similarly named PenFed cards. Please see the chart at the top of the
Master Thread: PenFed Family of Cards + Chip & PIN Questions to make sure you post in the correct thread!
Print Wikipost

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:19 pm

Any confirm on the two pp access freebies?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tima1212
If you currently hold the PenFed Travel Amex, watch your email for an opportunity to get 30K bonus points with $650 spend between 11/1/10 and 12/31/10. The email points out that I haven't been using the card much (since my initial spend for the bonus back in April when I first got the card).
I haven't received that offer. I've been a VERY occasional user of the card since the bonus offer (I've bought a few cheap foreign airline tickets for the bonus and lack of foreign exchange fee).

I haven't yet redeemed my points, and I think my annual fee is about to come due. Wasn't it something like $60? I really don't want to pay that. Anyone try to get it waived? If they were to keep the airline bonus and eliminate the fee, I might make it a habit to use this card more often.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:10 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
So has anyone called who did not get the email on the $650 spending offer asking for it?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:30 pm

I'm pretty impressed with the airline ticket awards. I just
checked two flights I'm likely to make soon:

RDU round-trip to Boston, at XMas-time, was about 10K.
RDU round-trip to FLG next year was high 20K's. Neither
insisted you fly at bizarre times-of-day.

So I figure these points are worth WAY more than Delta or USAir
frequent-flyer miles.

My offer also included a $100 AMEX "certificate" if I spend the
$650 in 3 months. Not quite sure what it's good for ...

P.S. I'm not sure why people are agonizing over how to qualify for
Penfed membership. You can simply join NMFA, one-time only
if you choose not to renew, and it's a good charity (4-star at
charitynavigator.org).
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:20 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1
I'm pretty impressed with the airline ticket awards. I just
checked two flights I'm likely to make soon:

RDU round-trip to Boston, at XMas-time, was about 10K.
RDU round-trip to FLG next year was high 20K's. Neither
insisted you fly at bizarre times-of-day.

So I figure these points are worth WAY more than Delta or USAir
frequent-flyer miles.

My offer also included a $100 AMEX "certificate" if I spend the
$650 in 3 months. Not quite sure what it's good for ...

P.S. I'm not sure why people are agonizing over how to qualify for
Penfed membership. You can simply join NMFA, one-time only
if you choose not to renew, and it's a good charity (4-star at
charitynavigator.org).
for us more loyal users of this card any bonus offers?

I only got 20K pts for opening this card

Last edited by frank_10b; Nov 28, 2010 at 2:38 pm
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by frank_10b
for us more loyal users of this card any bonus offers?

I only got 20K pts for opening this card
Penfed's customer service is so awesome (and I DO think it's Penfed
themselves providing the customer service, not AMEX), that I'll bet
if you called and whined, there's a good chance they'd give you the
other 10K.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:38 pm

Penfed's customer service is so awesome (and I DO think it's Penfed
themselves providing the customer service, not AMEX), that I'll bet
if you called and whined, there's a good chance they'd give you the
other 10K.
no go so far
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...I DO think it's Penfed
themselves providing the customer service, not AMEX...
Correct. American Express does not issue or administer Amex-network cards marketed by Bank Of America, Barclay's, Citi, GE, PenFed, etc These banks merely use the American Express network to process transactions (in precisely the same way that they use Mastercard or VISA's network), and they purchase some prepackaged insurance and other benefits from American Express.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
This is my primary card for buying airline tickets. (5 pts/$) I also use it for dining (3pt/$) & the 2% (till Dec 31) for everything else is nice. Each point used for airline tickets is worth 1.5 cents. (1 pt for 1$). Also, no FOREX charges. ^

I bought 2 tickets with my points. LAX-ZRH RT in late August & PIT-LAX (one way) for last month travel. I was short some points for the Zurich ticket so I paid a little over $200 extra. (it was a $900 ticket--decent for Europe summer).

I plan to keep this card even when the annual fee kicks in next year. I am quite pleased with this card. The one drawback is one can't do multi city on their booking engine but otherwise it is a great card.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chemist661
This is my primary card for buying airline tickets. (5 pts/$) I also use it for dining (3pt/$) & the 2% (till Dec 31) for everything else is nice. Each point used for airline tickets is worth 1.5 cents. (1 pt for 1$). Also, no FOREX charges. ^

I bought 2 tickets with my points. LAX-ZRH RT in late August & PIT-LAX (one way) for last month travel. I was short some points for the Zurich ticket so I paid a little over $200 extra. (it was a $900 ticket--decent for Europe summer).

I plan to keep this card even when the annual fee kicks in next year. I am quite pleased with this card. The one drawback is one can't do multi city on their booking engine but otherwise it is a great card.
Yeah, this is an under-rated card -- especially if you use it to buy airline tickets. I haven't looked that carefully, but it does seem like a point translates to more than a penny when you go to purchase airfare. It didn't look like quite 1.5 cents to me, but I didn't look that hard.

Does anyone know if you get to keep your points if you cancel your card? I got the 20,000 bonus for joining, and I think I now have about 36,000 miles just for using the card to buy a little more than $3000 in airline tickets. I'm not so keen on paying the annual fee for the card, but I obviously don't want to lose more than $400 in free airfare. I could, of course, just buy a ticket from the rewards program.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:44 am

Do the trips have to be rt?
What is the min price of a airfare?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:30 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by frank_10b
Do the trips have to be rt?
What is the min price of a airfare?
I booked an one way PIT-LAX on AA for Nov 15 travel. Miles posted already. Ticket took about 9990 pts. (revenue cost was about $150ai). When the record locator number is known, call airline & add FF# into the reservation.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:37 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by iahphx
Does anyone know if you get to keep your points if you cancel your card? I got the 20,000 bonus for joining, and I think I now have about 36,000 miles just for using the card to buy a little more than $3000 in airline tickets. I'm not so keen on paying the annual fee for the card, but I obviously don't want to lose more than $400 in free airfare. I could, of course, just buy a ticket from the rewards program.
If you are going to cancel the card, I would deplete the miles in the account before you cancelling. 36K would get you around $500 (or more) in tickets. Any excess mileage is charged at 1.5 cents/mile. If a ticket is 37K, you would pay approx $15 for the extra 1K miles.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Any excess mileage is charged at 1.5 cents/mile. If a ticket is 37K, you would pay approx $15 for the extra 1K miles.
Are you sure? Seeing as the redemption value of the miles are supposedly 1/62.5 = $0.016, that's surprising.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are going to cancel the card, I would deplete the miles in the account before you cancelling. 36K would get you around $500 (or more) in tickets. Any excess mileage is charged at 1.5 cents/mile. If a ticket is 37K, you would pay approx $15 for the extra 1K miles.
Has anyone asked them to waive the annual fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.