Expanding Copa Club PTY

Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Milkman
What is wrong with AV's lounges in BOG and MIA if I may ask? I guess my standards have dropped considerably after moving to PTY 1˝ years ago and now having Copa Club as my "home field"
What Kacee said.

The Diamond lounge doesn't have showers, so you have to use the one on the *G side. The showers are not great. Other than that, there is basically no food. The Diamond side has a salad bar, and some sandwiches/pastries, but no warm food at all. There is sometimes tomato soup during peak hours, but it's really gross.

Both sides have the same booze, and pretty low-end shelf other than the scotch. The Diamond side DOES have pretty comfortable lounging areas, much better than the *G side. Both places get very packed during peak hours. I have not found the Movistar wifi reliable and usually just use cellular data.

It's better than the Copa Club, but like I said, that's not saying much.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
All the renovations are complete. The aesthetic of the club is more modern and bright, especially at the reception desk. Seem like more little cubicles in the business area.

Food was present in the afternoon, tiny chicken salad sandwiches, and some cut veggies. Quite modest.

Bathrooms unchanged. The indignities of having to wait for a stall....
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by copaflyer
Not fold but another company buying it. Starting Wingo out of Colombia and flying into Panama Pacifico is another sign that not everything may go through PTY.
This was an interesting, potentially clever move. There was already at least one discount airline going to Colombia from Howard, and of course the flights currently going to nearby international destinations from Albrook will move to howard at some point in coming years once that flight line is demolished, so copa is going to go ahead and essentially clip their revenue wings. I recently priced a blb-mde round trip at 200$/us - half of it was tax. It is a perfectly good price, as long as you are ready to deal with pick-up/drop-off on Howard.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Woofdog123
This was an interesting, potentially clever move. There was already at least one discount airline going to Colombia from Howard, and of course the flights currently going to nearby international destinations from Albrook will move to howard at some point in coming years once that flight line is demolished, so copa is going to go ahead and essentially clip their revenue wings. I recently priced a blb-mde round trip at 200$/us - half of it was tax. It is a perfectly good price, as long as you are ready to deal with pick-up/drop-off on Howard.
Will be a lot nicer when the 3rd bridge/metro is built.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by copaflyer
Will be a lot nicer when the 3rd bridge/metro is built.
If metro line 2 doesn't go to the airport (last I heard it wasn't, taxi union stuff - I could be wrong on this as I don't keep up much, but I sure don't see monorail pylons past 24 dic), down the road it could make howard a more attractive low-cost arrival destination for passengers terminating/originating in panama, within the available routes (once bridge/metro3 is up as you note) - as currently the APP models suggest the metro will stop right in the middle of sykes field (parade field in front of hangars).

I wonder if the low-cost carriers that presumably will help populate terminal 2 in tocumen would see any advantage to moving, under that scenario (or if their agreements would permit it).

at the moment, parking is definitely cheaper

Last edited by Woofdog123; Feb 12, 2017 at 8:33 am
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Good news, the club is pretty big already for the size of the terminal, but it gets fairly crowded, especially when there's only about 6 desks and 1 bartender.

It would be half an idea if they were to build another lounge on the other end of the terminal. But maybe just an improvement on the current one is good enough. I'll be flying through in May so it'll be nice to see the progress.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I like a real chair and desk, so the "improvements" to the club make me less inclined to visit. I really dislike the laptop bar. They had Herman Miller chairs in the old business center. How was this supposed to be better again?

Restrooms are the same size as the original capacity club, and they outgrew that years ago. No real food. The line to check into the club often extends back to the undersized elevator, as the agents who check us in are the same as those who help resolve issues.

Yes, I'm whining tonight. PTY is a great connection point when the wait isn't long, but for anything 1 1/2 hours+, a real club would sure be a welcome improvement. They could surely do much better. I love flying Copa, but they do some things.... Sheesh!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
I like a real chair and desk, so the "improvements" to the club make me less inclined to visit. I really dislike the laptop bar. They had Herman Miller chairs in the old business center. How was this supposed to be better again?

Restrooms are the same size as the original capacity club, and they outgrew that years ago. No real food. The line to check into the club often extends back to the undersized elevator, as the agents who check us in are the same as those who help resolve issues.
I'll have to try the new setup to actually decide, unless I have my butt in a chair or on a stool etc, and my elbows placed, I can't decide! I didn't love their chairs before, but they were adequate so I was fine with em.

I will say the bathrooms suck. I've never tried to shower there because I'm usually connecting to a short flight and don't really have a need for the shower, but the bathrooms are way too small. IIRC like 2-3 stalls, 2-3 urinals. The place should probably have another one that size at the other end of the room. The lack of food bothers me, but then I always just figured that was a cue from the old UA relationship, it's UA Club style, crackers, apples, cheese etc. Though, they have doritos usually, which is awesome. PTY is horribly expensive and limited for food/seating so it would be nice if they even offered some finger sandwiches or something.

I've never had a big issue with the line, but then I also speak spanish, it seems like all of the desk agents speak english, but to differing degrees. Then you get passengers coming in from germany or wherever abroad that speak english to another degree and I find that the interactions at the desk often take far too long. Usually I greet them with a friendly "hola buenas tardes" they swipe me in and I walk away, but there's times you see long winded explanations and whatnot which are a bit cringeworthy. For whatever reason I've never really noticed that anywhere else other than PTY and to a much lesser extent BOG.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
PTY is horribly expensive and limited for food/seating so it would be nice if they even offered some finger sandwiches or something.
They had that on Friday around 6pm when I quickly stepped in to charge my phone.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:49 am

They had that on Friday around 6pm when I quickly stepped in to charge my phone.
Hmmm, maybe that's new or I've just never been there at that time. Good to know.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:57 pm

Today at 11am the lounge was very crowded. There is a need for another lounge. Maybe they are waiting until the south terminal opens. That is where the big planes can land so a lounge will for sure be needed there. My guess is a 3rd party lounge.

Popped into Royal Saloon as I needed to get something photocopied pre security. Very small but more food offerings.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:54 am

I would suggest another lounge, 3rd party would be a good idea.

I do wonder, and I'm sure someone knows the answer, when flying J/F or status with airlines like KLM/Emirates and other non-star alliance airlines, do they grant lounge access to the Copa Club? Or is there another one that I've just somehow never seen? Or, is there just no lounge access at all?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I would suggest another lounge, 3rd party would be a good idea.

I do wonder, and I'm sure someone knows the answer, when flying J/F or status with airlines like KLM/Emirates and other non-star alliance airlines, do they grant lounge access to the Copa Club? Or is there another one that I've just somehow never seen? Or, is there just no lounge access at all?
I know for sure that KL and AF give access to their J pax and high tier frequent fliers (Gold and upwards), as well as other SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers.

TK and LH being in *A of course use the Copa Club, but I am not sure about IB.
AA used to have a lounge that AV/TA would use as well (before they joined *A with CM).
I dont know how AA do lounge wise today. DL also seems to have no option.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I know for sure that KL and AF give access to their J pax and high tier frequent fliers (Gold and upwards), as well as other SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers.

TK and LH being in *A of course use the Copa Club, but I am not sure about IB.
AA used to have a lounge that AV/TA would use as well (before they joined *A with CM).
I dont know how AA do lounge wise today. DL also seems to have no option.
IB has a lounge outside of security. OneWorld members in the higher tiers can use it too. Of course, being outside security is a huge drawback.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil
IB has a lounge outside of security. OneWorld members in the higher tiers can use it too. Of course, being outside security is a huge drawback.
An appearance from coolcoil! Always nice to see an MDEer.

Being outside of security at PTY is a joke. The traffic to get there is insane. Getting through customs/security can take forever. As a non-IB flyer, clearly doesn't matter to me, but I do feel for people when you are elite or even moreso, paying for J class and can't even really get lounge access.

I don't know how often it happens, I do recall being in MIA and having a J ticket on AC and not being able to use a lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.