Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

COPA Connecting Through SJO - Bypass Immigration?

Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

I got a great deal on a flight to MGA that routes from PTY through San Jose SJO rather than non-stop.

On the way back it is non-stop MGA to PTY so this is just on the way down.

I have 90 minutes anyway but I do hope I don't have to clear into the public area just to go straight back.

On arrival in SJO is there a connecting passenger bypass for immigration and customs? I presume there might be security but not entry per se into SJO via the formalities.

Like in PTY or SAL for example. I have been to SJO a couple of times but of course those times I was going to SJO to stay.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
You'll have a standard connection security line that is airside, so you will not have to go through immigration or aduana (customs). If you happened to be connecting on to the U.S., then you would have another set of TSA-like security to clear at the gate, but not for MGA.

Piece of cake.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Having never connected is it obvious as to the path to connections?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
You are lead all the way down to the immigration hall, from there you walk up the stairs to security and you are right bang in the departure hall.

I didnt have a hard time getting around first time I transferred in SJO. It's fairly easy.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

I wonder why they bother with the security after arriving on a secure flight when say, SAL and PTY don't bother? Wasn't it arrive where you depart before?

Although MGA doesn't even offer connecting anything so I guess this is better than there (though I am not sure there ARE connections through MGA).
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Milkman
You are lead all the way down to the immigration hall, from there you walk up the stairs to security and you are right bang in the departure hall.

I didnt have a hard time getting around first time I transferred in SJO. It's fairly easy.
Just went through Monday. No more down then up. I deplaned at gate 9 and walked to the security which was up a small ramp about 20 feet away. Came out near gate 8 a bit before the food court.

Maybe it was happenstance but it sure was fast being that I was the only person using it. Maybe other gates need to go downstairs first. I can't see every one having such simple access, or they may select that area for these connections.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Funny enough, Wednesday last week I flew into SJO and also disembarked from gate 9.
Noticed that this particular gate has direct access to security for connecting passengers, but in other cases you do have to take the stairs down to security in ground level, only to walk up stairs again to get to security.

Anyway, I'm happy it was totally hazzle free for you. ^
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Maybe they are fans of Plan Gate 9 For More Outer Space

Still, vis-a-vis PTY and SAL it seems a pointless exercise and needless hassle.

They don't have local flights (there's a whole other airport for that) so the extra security model adds little.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Maybe they are fans of Plan Gate 9 For More Outer Space

Still, vis-a-vis PTY and SAL it seems a pointless exercise and needless hassle.

They don't have local flights (there's a whole other airport for that) so the extra security model adds little.
It's the same procedure in GUA. I'm not sure about places like SAP, TGU or MGA if anyone comes across a transit in one of those particular airports.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

MGA leaves people on the Copa triangle flight (SJO MGA PTY but it is there for 30 minutes. I was on PTY-(SJO)-MGA so that was off the plane then back on the same plane. So now I have I think, done every combination they offer.

I have seen in MGA a couple times people being diverted from the aisle towards immigration into the departure lounge but not for my flight - I was waiting for a departure on AA at the time.

MGA would be worse - you'd have to pay for the tourist card and then leave 10 minutes later. Glad I have not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.