Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
UA/CO alliance "hits turbulence"

Interesting article here - wonder if this was expected:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=34451
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Sounds like the new Washington Reichstag want to stick their ugly tentacles into the airline business now. Does the Marxism ever end with these people.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by chasbondy
Sounds like the new Washington Reichstag want to stick their ugly tentacles into the airline business now. Does the Marxism ever end with these people.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The new regime thinks that big business is evil and profit is reprehensible.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:19 pm

Q: Why so black and white chasbondy? And where are the arguments?

These alliances need close monitoring. Just do a random search (transatlantic) and check which airline wins, than check the next results. Guess what, on certain routes (e.g. JFK - LHR) there is a clear winner. Monopoly/price coordination is a bad thing from an economical point of view, a healthy ammount of scepticism isnt.

Just give it another thought.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:28 pm

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
Arrow we miss the bus

If we're late for a flight....... we miss the bus.

If Democrats are late with a regulatory review............. STOP the bus(iness) !

B7
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by XRottenX
Q: Why so black and white chasbondy? And where are the arguments?
These alliances need close monitoring. Just do a random search (transatlantic) and check which airline wins, than check the next results. Guess what, on certain routes (e.g. JFK - LHR) there is a clear winner. Monopoly/price coordination is a bad thing from an economical point of view, a healthy ammount of scepticism isnt.Just give it another thought.
Because it was already reviewed. These filthy bureaucrats want you to kiss their buttski on any decision that is made.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bernoulli 777
If we're late for a flight....... we miss the bus.

If Democrats are late with a regulatory review............. STOP the bus(iness) !

B7
And if Republicans are late with a regulatory review... well, look at the banking industry today...

don't want this thread to go to OMNI, but on topic, I do think that the title of the article is sensationalizing it a little more than the situation is in reality. even holder said the process will be resolved in a matter of weeks. now if in that process things are turning south then we may want to be a little more concerned.

if things turn bad, well, CO could just buy UA instead...
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:41 pm
Suspended

>> even Holder said the process will be resolved in a matter of weeks.>>>.
That is code for- I expect that you'll be making out a large check to be made out to the DNC very soon.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:47 pm

Richard Anderson (Delta) and Doug Steenland (Northwest) are both lawyers by trade. I am of the impression they have friends in high places, and will explore anything and everything in the book of dirty tricks in order to handicap a competitor.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by chasbondy
What is with you? In one sentence you infer through the use of the word "Reichstag" that this is a Nazi totalitarian administration. In the next sentence you call "these people" communists.

First of all you can't be both, as Marxism and Nazism are diametrically opposed and complete enemies of each other. (Note: See World War II, Soviet Russia vs. Germany under Hitler). Second, "these people" in this context sounds like code words used by white people in referring to blacks. I'm sorry, I think you are tossing around attack words from listening too much to Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, and their ilk. If you want to attack Washington as bureucratic or anti-business, fine, but don't throw around hate words that you don't even know the meaning of.

And for your information, Washington has been"stick(ing) their ugly tentacles into the airline business" for a long time under every administration since the dawn of flight. Have you ever heard of the FAA? And your beloved TSA was created by that wonderful president, George W. As other posters have indicated, this is what Washington is paid to do in order to protect you from being screwed by monopolistic practices. So if you don't know what you're talking about, it's better to keep quiet, or post in a respectful way,

Last edited by hughw; Jun 17, 2009 at 4:42 pm
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:51 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Interesting -- one also wonders how much input ($) DL had in, shall we say, encouraging a review (and even if they did nothing, you can bet they're grinning over this.)

Another amusing twist to all this is that you'll find CO, UA and AA all working together to get this through (remember AA wants the same with BA/IB.) Likewise, I can't but help think that DL's picking their brains on how to throw up one concern after another to force a watered-down version to pass. Who knows what US will do.

Anyways, interesting times and I'm curious to see how the other players will respond to this.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:53 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by doobierw
Richard Anderson (Delta) and Doug Steenland (Northwest) are both lawyers by trade. I am of the impression they have friends in high places, and will explore anything and everything in the book of dirty tricks in order to handicap a competitor.
Yeep -- beat me to it doobierw!

PS> Have you heard any rumblings from ALPA (be it CO, AA, US, etc.) over this?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hughw
What is with you? In one sentence you infer through the use of the word "Reichstag" that this is a Nazi totalitarian administration. In the next sentence you call "these people" communists.

First of all you can't be both, as Marxism and Nazism are diametrically opposed and complete enemies of each other. (Note: See World War II, Soviet Russia vs. Germany under Hitler). Second, "these people" in this context sounds like code words used by white people rin referring to blacks. I'm sorry, I think you are tossing around attack words from listening too much to Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, and their ilk. If you want to attack Washington as bureucratic or anti-business, fine, but don't throw around hate words that you don't even know the meaning of.

And for your information, Washington has been"stick(ing) their ugly tentacles into the airline business" for a long time under every administration since the dawn of flight. Have you ever heard of the FAA? And your beloved TSA was created by that wonderful president, George W. As other posters have indicated, this is what Washington is paid to do in order to protect you from being screwed by monopolistic practices. So if you don't know what you're talking about, it's better to keep quiet, or post in a respectful way,
^^ Couldn't have said it better myself. It's hardly a surprise though - try "find more posts by..." and you'll see
Old Jun 17, 2009, 4:13 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Couldn't have said it better myself. The new regime thinks that big business is evil and profit is reprehensible.
Big business is evil and profit is reprehensible if not fairly earned. This became the greatest country on the planet in part due to free market competition legally enshrined in the Sherman Anti-Trust laws. These "alliances" are poorly-disguised anti-competive schemes. In brief, they want you to pay higher prices because you have no other choice than to do so.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: CO PLAT
What is with you? "these people" in this context sounds like code words used by white people rin referring to blacks. I'm sorry, I think you are tossing around attack words from listening too much to Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, and their ilk.
You are way off base by accusing somebody of this. CODE? Are you serious?

And what is wrong with listening to Rush, Hanity and others? Does this make him racist? Who should he listen to for balance? Jessie Jackson? His son? How about Louis Farrakhan and his ilk?

You sound like a racist to me.

So if you don't know what you're talking about, it's better to keep quiet, or post in a respectful way,
You should practice what you preach, Rev.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.