Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

[12-Feb-2009]: CO 3407 crashes while on descent into BUF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

I heard the news came in tonight but, CO3373 is crashes near approach into BUF. I can't find it anything more news from CNN. So please let me know what is reason happening tonight.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Exclamation Another Plane Crash

Just caught it on the local news... A Continental plane went down just North of Buffalo, NY in Clarence. I am about 40 minutes from there (if that) and will try to update as I can.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:39 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Christ almighty, not another one.

Hope everyone's okay.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
All I could find was this:
A small passenger plane crashed into a home near Buffalo, N.Y., Thursday night.

It was just after 10:20 p.m. when the plane, believed to be heading towards the Buffalo Niagara International Airport, crashed into the home on Long Street in Clarence Centre, a small community just northeast of Buffalo, neighbours said.

Neighbours said the plane - which appeared to be a small propeller plane - came in loudly and lower than normal, before it hit the house with a loud ban.

"This one you knew definitely was very low, and then it was 'boom,' like thunder. Very scary," said a woman, Norma, who lives across from the home the plane hit.
Breaking News
The Globe and Mail

A woman and her daughter said to be living in the home made it out uninjured and were at a neighbour's house. A man also lived at the house, but it wasn't clear whether he was hurt or not.

Sources said 10 people were hurt, but it wasn't immediately clear if anyone died.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
News out of Buffalo is regrettably stating 50 on board.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/577959.html

Pray for our fellow flyers.

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/577959.html
An aircraft identified by Erie County Executive Chris Collins as a Continental Airlines flight crashed into a house in Clarence Center shortly after 10 o'clock tonight, starting a fire that poured thick smoke throughout the hamlet.

Collins said that there were 50 people aboard the plane and crew members had reported mechanical problems as they approached Buffalo Niagara International Airport. Several injured people were taken from the scene to Erie County Medical Center for treatment.

Television reports said the crash site was 6050 Long St., not far from the Clarence Center Fire Hall on Clarence Center Road. Police said that one man was in the residence at the time of the crash.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Small plane? They run Q400's to BUF.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:48 pm

Just confirmed that plane was on final approach into BUF and they have evacuated the homes nearby, due to fuel spill. The plane was a turbo prop unknown Origin city.

Edit: Checking a little more into it the origin was Newark.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flight_Medic
Just confirmed that plane was on final approach into BUF and they have evacuated the homes nearby, due to fuel spill. The plane was a turbo prop unknown Origin city.
I know where CO is coming from EWR-BUF.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Olton Hall
Small plane? They run Q400's to BUF.
Yes, it was Dash-8 aircraft.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:50 pm

Local news local originally reported it as a US flight, but later updated the story to the it being CO (though no flight number has been confirmed yet according to their sources).

They said CO officials said passenger total was less than 50 passengers that NYSP or county executives are reporting.

CBS affiliate coverage of the incident--with photos

There is supposed to be a news conference shortly.

Last edited by the_jeff; Feb 12, 2009 at 9:55 pm
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Continental's website shows it departed 5 hours late, but is expected at EWR at 11:58 pm EST.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, it was Dash-8 aircraft.
a.net is confirming that based on locals watching the news in BUF.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:55 pm

Local news is saying that injuries are unknown but that the AC went down into an occupied house. "Booms and pops" were heard prior to the AC going down.

Local news conf will be taking place shortly, so they say.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:56 pm

ATC Transcript (from a.net)

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kb...2009-0300Z.mp3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.