CO scaling back IAH-LHR service

Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
CO scaling back IAH-LHR service

Looks like CO has cancelled the second 777 flight from IAH-LHR (at least for some dates in February).

I wonder how this impacts CO's purchased gates at LHR?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How many dates? Is it scattered or 1-2x weekly?

I'm pretty sure the rule on the slots is something like 80% usage, so 6x weekly would be OK, but I'm not positive on that.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Appears that flight CO4 is cancelled starting late Jan and all through Feb - maybe longer.

Jan 20 is the last date for CO4. CO32 remains. CO4 restarts on April 5.

So the question becomes, what is CO going to do with that 777 during the winter?

Last edited by cova; Jan 11, 2009 at 11:16 am
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
No, the real question is what are they doing with the slots? I believe you have to use them - which is why we often hear about "ghost" flights at LHR to keep the slots, which the greenies criticize for.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Isn't it just a shift for the CLE LHR?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by cova
Appears that flight CO4 is cancelled starting late Jan and all through Feb - maybe longer.

Jan 20 is the last date for CO4. CO32 remains. CO4 restarts on April 5.

So the question becomes, what is CO going to do with that 777 during the winter?
Heavy MX?

PVG?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Steph3n
Isn't it just a shift for the CLE LHR?
Not in January-April. The CLE service is May-September.

Originally Posted by MBM3
Heavy MX?

PVG?
The MX was done during the AVOD fits. PVG starts in March so I guess it is possible, but why pull the plane now?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They don't need to do anything with the plane. Just have an extra spare sitting in EWR or IAH if overall traffic doesn't warrant it flying.

Unless HAECO at HKG have time and room to do another conversion along with one 772 that's already there. Which they might, as CO often has a 772 plus a 762/4 there simultaneously.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
They don't need to do anything with the plane. Just have an extra spare sitting in EWR or IAH if overall traffic doesn't warrant it flying.

Unless HAECO at HKG have time and room to do another conversion along with one 772 that's already there. Which they might, as CO often has a 772 plus a 762/4 there simultaneously.
Perhaps they have some charter ops scheduled for the military?

Or you might right, they might be trying to squeeze in another conversion before the silly season.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by MBM3
Perhaps they have some charter ops scheduled for the military?

Or you might right, they might be trying to squeeze in another conversion before the silly season.
I think they chose not to bid on those for 2009, or maybe I am wrong.....
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: CO Platinum
Glad I saw this post. I was booked on a CO4 flight in late January and just switched to CO32. I'm on the CO5 return - what do you think the chances are that it will be cancelled? Seems like if you drop an IAH - LHR flight, you'd drop one of the LHR - IAH flights, too.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Here's an odd item: I am scheduled to fly to LHR from SFO via IHA on March 12. There were some changes made to my schedule. And it looks like I leave SFO on Thursday, the 12th, at 1047am and arrive at IAH at 432pm???? That's an awfully long flight to IAH from SFO. What's going on with CO?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ekwang
Here's an odd item: I am scheduled to fly to LHR from SFO via IHA on March 12. There were some changes made to my schedule. And it looks like I leave SFO on Thursday, the 12th, at 1047am and arrive at IAH at 432pm???? That's an awfully long flight to IAH from SFO. What's going on with CO?
Two hour time difference.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bunchie
Glad I saw this post. I was booked on a CO4 flight in late January and just switched to CO32. I'm on the CO5 return - what do you think the chances are that it will be cancelled? Seems like if you drop an IAH - LHR flight, you'd drop one of the LHR - IAH flights, too.
I still think the flight wasn't canceled. The return is still there, and like I said before, you can't just suspend flights with LHR slots.

My money is that they're simply adjusting the schedule or for some other reason, they'll just pulling it from booking for now.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bunchie
Yeah...I would expect the return to disappear, too, if the flight really is canceled.

Originally Posted by rkkwan
I still think the flight wasn't canceled. The return is still there, and like I said before, you can't just suspend flights with LHR slots.

My money is that they're simply adjusting the schedule or for some other reason, they'll just pulling it from booking for now.
Considering that UA flights have been listed all weekend, too, it seems a reasonable assumption that co.com is messed up right now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.