Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Will Continental/Virgin code shares continue after merger ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA global, VS Gld , SPG plat

CO and VS codeshare on several flights from UK-USA (earn and redeem on either) but Virgin have no connection with United.
Anyone know what will happen to this codeshare ?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JCBR
CO and VS codeshare on several flights from UK-USA (earn and redeem on either) but Virgin have no connection with United.
Anyone know what will happen to this codeshare ?
It will probably continue until the end of the agreement, and then not be renewed.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond;AA Gold; UA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Plat
Not if DL/AF-KL buy into VS as rumored.

But otherwise it all depends on whether or not UA feels that it needs additional lift to LHR to compete with AA/BA. UA actually has a track record of code sharing with non-star carriers and it would make sense for them to code-share, particularly given that VS is strong where UA gave up (BOS, JFK, MIA) and is weak at UA's strengths (IAD, ORD).

My guess is that VS will actually join either UA or DL's JV.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Delta GM, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum
No telling for sure, but I'm loving being able to transfer my MP miles to CO and booking Virgin flights. Came in quite handy for an upcoming award trip.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hardfour
No telling for sure, but I'm loving being able to transfer my MP miles to CO and booking Virgin flights. Came in quite handy for an upcoming award trip.
Indeed. I'm trying to find an opportunity to do this before the agreement ends.

Reviews of VS are mixed but I'm willing to give it a try as I'll have no other chance to try it.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
Reviews of VS are mixed but I'm willing to give it a try as I'll have no other chance to try it.
VS coach is coach, they all pretty much stink. Premium economy isn't part of the partnership (except maybe for earning, but def not redeeming). Upper Class, like nearly any business class out there, has its strengths and weaknesses. They're well-discussed elsewhere on FlyerTalk. I would not hesitate to redeem for VS UC, except for those cases where OnePass requires first class mileage levels (it's not worth that).
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ijgordon
VS coach is coach, they all pretty much stink. Premium economy isn't part of the partnership (except maybe for earning, but def not redeeming). Upper Class, like nearly any business class out there, has its strengths and weaknesses. They're well-discussed elsewhere on FlyerTalk. I would not hesitate to redeem for VS UC, except for those cases where OnePass requires first class mileage levels (it's not worth that).
I would definitely be redeeming for UC (I rarely if ever redeem miles for economy). I've flown NZ C so I'm familiar with the hard product, which is pretty good. Fortunately, all the redemptions I've seen through CO have been at the business class level.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
VS is primarily partnered with *A carriers and DJ and other Virgin group carriers are increasing their ties to *A carriers as well. I'd bet it will probably stay. A month ago I was looking for C seats ORD-LHR on .bomb and they were selling some flights as Continental 9xxx operated by VS.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
Also don't forget that you don't need to purchase the ticket from CO to obtain OnePass miles. Experience has shown Its usually cheaper to purchase the codeshare flight directly from Virgin then set OnePass as the mileage program to credit.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Another random data point that may or may not mean anything on this front...

Virgin Atlantic is now offering interline connections with JetBlue at IAD, MCO, JFK and BOS. Probably means nothing, but it is always interesting to see these relationships develop.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA-Plat, PC-Plat Amb, tons of others...
Originally Posted by joebeenyc
Also don't forget that you don't need to purchase the ticket from CO to obtain OnePass miles. Experience has shown Its usually cheaper to purchase the codeshare flight directly from Virgin then set OnePass as the mileage program to credit.
But you won't get any bonus miles or EQMs if you do this, plus it only work for certain class codes -- not the severly discounted ones.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by PublicBJ
Originally Posted by joebeenyc
But you won't get any bonus miles or EQMs if you do this, plus it only work for certain class codes -- not the severly discounted ones.
You never get bonus RDMs on VS-operated flights. You do get EQMs so long as it has a CO code, even if you are not booked on the CO code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.