Highest upgrade % chance out of EWR?

Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Highest upgrade % chance out of EWR?

As a lowly silver (for now) and a student I have a lot of free time. Classes end early thurs and start again late mon. As such, I was hoping to take lots of random trips to anywhere over the spring. Ideally I would fly out thurs from EWR and return sun/mon. However, I would prefer not to pony up for F. I was wondering which routes are elite light and more likely for a silver to be able to score upgrades on with regularity. I don't care where I go really, just want to explore the country on weekends. Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA
MCO -- packed with families going to see the mouse. Even the few elites who may be on the flights will choose to sit in back with the kids.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

MCO will likely be your best chance for upgrades but then you'll be in MCO.

Some of the LatAm routes seem to have decent inventory open up front more than not so maybe look at those, too. Last time I did a weekend special to POS we had empties up front both ways but it also meant that I was in POS for a weekend.

Win some, lose some.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
I agree -- Seems like MCO from anywhere is usually a pretty easy upgrade. When I was Silver I got the EUA 100% of the time out of IAH (and on the return), no matter what day or time of day. Can't speak for EWR specifically, but I'm bettin' it's similar.....
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by sbm12

Some of the LatAm routes seem to have decent inventory open up front more than not so maybe look at those, too. Last time I did a weekend special to POS we had empties up front both ways but it also meant that I was in POS for a weekend.

Win some, lose some.
50 miles or so to Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach, etc... problem solved!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Win some, lose some.
Man I would rather go to some dying rust belt places than Orlando ha. Do flight to LatAm have the same upgrade procedure as domestic? not BF? If not too much trouble, what are some of the routes you are suggesting, this sounds like exactly what I am looking for.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Man I would rather go to some dying rust belt places than Orlando ha. Do flight to LatAm have the same upgrade procedure as domestic? not BF? If not too much trouble, what are some of the routes you are suggesting, this sounds like exactly what I am looking for.
So long as it is not a BF route - currently from EWR that includes everything in Europe/Asia plus HNL, EZE, GRU, LIM - then the EUA system applies. So BOG, PTY, POS, AUA, CUR, SAP, LIR, CUN, CZM, MBJ, SJU, BQN, ANU, SXM, PUJ, SDQ, POP, NAS, BDA and probably a few others are all possible.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So long as it is not a BF route - currently from EWR that includes everything in Europe/Asia plus HNL, EZE, GRU, LIM - then the EUA system applies. So BOG, PTY, POS, AUA, CUR, SAP, LIR, CUN, CZM, MBJ, SJU, BQN, ANU, SXM, PUJ, SDQ, POP, NAS, BDA and probably a few others are all possible.
And these are usually good upgrade shots even for a lowly silver trying to get out on a Thurs night? What about Quito with the IAH connection?

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Jan 19, 2011 at 12:43 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: CO PP, AA EXP, UA 1K, DL DIA
You should have a good shot upgrading out of any airport with flights "NOT" operating to/from EWR and IAH. Other than that MCO would be your best bet.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:24 am

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
When I went to CUR I cleared, my silver mom cleared, my companion UG cleared, and my better half was a reaward tkt up front, they were selling UGs for 99 bucks, and first still left with empty seats. BOTH WAYS!

I'd say your chances are pretty good on this 4 hr flight.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP

Win some, lose some.
Next time go to TAB (Tobago) if your in POS. There are like 20 flights a day and it is $50 bucks round trip on Caribbean Airlines. All the Crow Point Hotels are less than a 10 minute walk from the airport. The beach is right there. You can even make it a day trip. The island is very safe, laid back, nothing like Trinidad. It may as well be two different countries. Lots of Europeans there. The water is crystal clear. POS is really not for tourist. Just a big busy city. Even you ever need more info on Tobago or Trinidad or any of the islands let me know. Outside of Dallas I spend the rest of my time in the Caribbean.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by CO777DAL
Next time go to TAB (Tobago) if your in POS.
I did and that was a great day. ^^ I actually walked from my hotel to a random beach, went snorkeling (I brought my own gear; fins strapped to the outside of my backpack), found some lunch and then walked back to the airport for the hop back over from TAB to POS.

But because of the very early departure for the POS-EWR return flight I had to be in POS most of Sunday and it was rather ghetto.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
If you want to go to LatAm, SJO is an easy EUA. I have never missed an upgrade, even when i was a lowly silver.

The city is not so exciting, but just a short drive away is the pacific coast.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i went to TPA a few times for work and got EUA's every time both ways as silver and gold on S fares.

although if you fly out of LGA, somehow i do frequently get EUA'd when going LGA-IAH. i thought that was strange.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Bogota looks the most appealing to me. It seems the last few days on EWR-BOG the entire EUA list cleared and F still went out with empty seats. However, it is a long flight and I don't want any chance of being stuck in the back for that haul. As a silver would purchasing a particular fare bucket all but assure me an upgrade? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.