Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Asking for seconds during meal service in First class...

Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/*A: Silver, AZ/ST: Silver, AB/OW: Silver, HHonors: Diamond, Hyatt: Platinum

So... I'm not sure what the etiquette is, but is it frowned down upon when you ask for seconds during First class service? Flying out tomorrow with breakfast service, and with finals for the past two weeks, I know my hunger is finally going to catch up to me up in the air...

Feedback, advice would be appreciated :-)
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by phansy
So... I'm not sure what the etiquette is, but is it frowned down upon when you ask for seconds during First class service? Flying out tomorrow with breakfast service, and with finals for the past two weeks, I know my hunger is finally going to catch up to me up in the air...

Pretty rare they'd be catered for seconds. There's a chance, someone won't eat, and you'd maybe be able to have theirs too.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:30 pm

Not if your mother is working in the galley.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/*A: Silver, AZ/ST: Silver, AB/OW: Silver, HHonors: Diamond, Hyatt: Platinum
Originally Posted by ParkedInTheDesert
Not if your mother is working in the galley.
Haha! Touche. I'm going to pick up some bagels and Dunkin' Donuts before the flight, so we'll see how those hold me over :-)
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:33 pm

Buy some snacks - seconds are not going to be offered and you can't count on someone else declining - be prepared.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:43 pm
Suspended

My most memorable CO 1st class dining experience was the FA getting distracted before getting to me with my beverage and nuts, then engaging upfront in chitchat with another FA. When he finally got back to my seat I asked for the drink and nuts and he said "you don't get seconds, and any way we're out of nuts". When I responded that he never served me the first time he left, returned with the missing nuts and slammed them on the tray.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kh105000
My most memorable CO 1st class dining experience was the FA getting distracted before getting to me with my beverage and nuts, then engaging upfront in chitchat with another FA. When he finally got back to my seat I asked for the drink and nuts and he said "you don't get seconds, and any way we're out of nuts". When I responded that he never served me the first time he left, returned with the missing nuts and slammed them on the tray.
I have heard of stories where FA's do keep things for themselves. However, a perk of knowing a CO FA is that you do know what FA are and are not suppose to be doing. Seconds I know is case-by-case. I just don't want to be the only passenger out of 24 passengers in F on my flight to ask...Talk about the elephant in the room. I already know I'm going to be looked at in a weird manner since I'll prolly be the youngest elite member on the flight tomorrow :-P I can hear it already: "Sir, why are you standing in the eliteaccess line?" "Because I'm an elite member." "Oh, my apologies, step on up."
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Pretty rare they'd be catered for seconds. There's a chance, someone won't eat, and you'd maybe be able to have theirs too.
If they are serving sticky rolls or biscuits from a basket, there usually is enough for some seconds. If I want one, I ask the FA that if there are extras after serving everyone, then I would like to have another. I have never been disappointed.
BTW, I think they do cater more rolls than passengers when breads are available at breakfast.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radonc1
If they are serving sticky rolls or biscuits from a basket, there usually is enough for some seconds. If I want one, I ask the FA that if there are extras after serving everyone, then I would like to have another. I have never been disappointed.
BTW, I think they do cater more rolls than passengers when breads are available at breakfast.
I LOVE the buns! Add that with Irish Coffee and it's oh, so HEAVENLY :-)
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:14 pm

Give the donuts to the FAs, and then see how well you are received
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, VS, SQ, AS
Don't you just love these kinds of FAs?

Originally Posted by kh105000
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:22 pm

I have brought the FA's snakcs before (donuts, bagels, popeyes biscuits or PC junk) and they are so so happy. it usually makes my personal service exceptional.

with that said, im surprised that crews are allowed to eat anything from the pax. perhaps they usualy dont, but who's to say I didnt add something to poison them.

he had the "fish."
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:27 pm

Leftovers will be offered to the flight crew first. If seconds are still available, it will be at their discretion. To my knowledge, there is no policy regarding this.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I think one issue here is fairness... if you get seconds, what are they going to do when the next guy is like, "Ooo, can I have seconds too?" This seems like a can of worms best left closed.

One of the nice things about the old Northwest F service was the snack basket, from which you could have as much as you cared for.

Last edited by raehl311; Dec 18, 2010 at 7:56 pm
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter
Leftovers will be offered to the flight crew first. If seconds are still available, it will be at their discretion. To my knowledge, there is no policy regarding this.
On a recent transcon UA (the real UA that is) flight, I was quite impressed because the FAs walked through coach about an hour and half to landing with goodies from F, like snacks, cookies, and wines offering them out. She said it would get thrown away anyway so any one who wanted could have them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.