Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Flying on 757-300 aircraft to LAX... SeatGuru says there's complimentary Wi-fi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/*A: Silver, AZ/ST: Silver, AB/OW: Silver, HHonors: Diamond, Hyatt: Platinum

Hi there,

So i'm looking into my flight, and I realized that I'm on the 757-300 NOT 757-200 = no BusinessFirst flat-beds (I was being very optimistic), no DirecTV, but when I was looking at the seatmap on SeatGuru, it said there free wi-fi on this aircraft. Is this true?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No, it is not.

CO was going to trial gogo on the 753s but bailed on that plan around the same time that LiveTV's Kiteline offering fell apart.

CO currently does not offer wifi on any aircraft and it is unclear when that will change.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
CO currently does not offer wifi on any aircraft and it is unclear when that will change.
Any idea why CO is resistant to adding Wifi? It doesn't seem to be more technologically complex than DirecTV, and my work colleagues who fly AA don't hesitate to pay $12, or whatever it is, when flying during the day.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:59 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Any idea why CO is resistant to adding Wifi? It doesn't seem to be more technologically complex than DirecTV, and my work colleagues who fly AA don't hesitate to pay $12, or whatever it is, when flying during the day.
At CODOIV, an exec said that CO was going to go forward with TV or wifi. They chose TV because "only about half of the people on a plane have a laptop" so only half of the people had the *option* to use wifi. Where as with TV, 100% of the population has the option to use the TV. They also commented that those of us that travel frequently (and lots of us for work) will always have a laptop, but we have to remember we aren't the majority of the folks on the plane.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:23 am

Your work colleagues are in the minority based on just about every survey that has been done so far on the up-take of in-flight wifi. Combine that with a rather significant CapEx install cost and CO hasn't yet seen the need to pay for and install a product that has questionable ROI.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I think one difference was that CO would have to pay for the WiFi installation costs, but DirecTV or whoever was picking it up for the satellite TV (of course in exchange for more of the revenue).

It's a shame there's no personalized IFE on the 753, not even power ports. I have a 5-hour flight on one coming up...
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Your work colleagues are in the minority based on just about every survey that has been done so far on the up-take of in-flight wifi. Combine that with a rather significant CapEx install cost and CO hasn't yet seen the need to pay for and install a product that has questionable ROI.
Makes sense for them, also since business travelers can expense the cost (but not DTV typically). For me, taking a transcon flight during the day, I'm going to have a couple hours at least dealing with emails at some point that day. I can either do it on the plane or that night when I get in. Much rather be done before arrival.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/*A: Silver, AZ/ST: Silver, AB/OW: Silver, HHonors: Diamond, Hyatt: Platinum
Yes, I have a 5+ hr. flight on Sunday on the 753. I'm regretting that choice....Hoping for a weather miracle so that i can switch to the 739 or 738 haha.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
as a frequent work traveler, it's nice to unplug once in a while. the airplane flight has become my new temporary piece of rest in my life, and is about the only bit i am allowed to have. especially so nowadays in an age where i can't even take a dump without my blackberry interrupting, why would i want to ruin the last bastion of disconnect with in-flight wifi?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:27 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Worth noting that the combined carrier isn't sitting quite as idle as previously expected on this front. There is a UA 752 with Row44 in trial now.

Or maybe real business folks only fly UA and CO is only for leisure travelers who will never pay for it anyways.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
as a frequent work traveler, it's nice to unplug once in a while. the airplane flight has become my new temporary piece of rest in my life, and is about the only bit i am allowed to have. especially so nowadays in an age where i can't even take a dump without my blackberry interrupting, why would i want to ruin the last bastion of disconnect with in-flight wifi?
I agree about unplugging once in a while, but if it's a choice of unplugging on the plane then 2 hours of email catch up at the hotel, vs. getting the work done on the plane then going for a swim at the hotel, I'd choose the latter.

That view would not (ever) apply to live cell phone calls, which to me would rank just below pulling all the seats out and replacing them with egg crates.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Originally Posted by phansy
Yes, I have a 5+ hr. flight on Sunday on the 753. I'm regretting that choice....Hoping for a weather miracle so that i can switch to the 739 or 738 haha.
Just out of curiosity, where is the 53 flying 5+ hours?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:55 am

I agree about unplugging once in a while, but if it's a choice of unplugging on the plane then 2 hours of email catch up at the hotel, vs. getting the work done on the plane then going for a swim at the hotel, I'd choose the latter.

That view would not (ever) apply to live cell phone calls, which to me would rank just below pulling all the seats out and replacing them with egg crates.
skype!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Russell745
Just out of curiosity, where is the 53 flying 5+ hours?
It definitely flies EWR-LAS, and I think also EWR-LAX.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
It definitely flies EWR-LAS, and I think also EWR-LAX.
i've definitely been on the 753 for EWR-LAS. when i go EWR-LAX i've always been on 739's, but it looks like 752's do fly it (CO1402 which is in the air right now).

but also looking at today's flights, it looks like they're flying a bunch of 752's EWR-LAX with the BF flatbeds installed. never knew they started doing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.