Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO Platinum and a clueless UA Phone Agent

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Platinum(now UA1K), Honors - Diamond, Starwood - Platinum, Hertz - Pres circle, National Exec
CO Platinum and a clueless UA Phone Agent

Ok, so I have to rant for a moment, and maybe someone can tell me if I called the wrong number...

So I just booked a domestic flight for next week on UA operated by UA, Im CO Plat, We've all seen the emails about being upgraded reciprocally, and being able to select E+ seats... so my CO Onepass number shows up in the rez when I check on United.com, but I cant select an E+ seat.

No big deal I think, I'll just call United and see whats up... I talk to a somewhat hard to understand reservation agent, and after I ask how the process of selecting an E+ seat works, and to make sure I am on the upgrade list, she puts me on hold... no big deal I think, its a new process, she just wants to make sure she gets the correct info...

15 minutes (no exaggeration) later, she comes back only to tell me that only elite members can select the E+ seats without charge. I tell her I am Continental Platinum, she repeats what she just told me... so I ask her if I am on the upgrade list for the flights, she asks "I cannot give you a first class seat"... I explain that as of last week elite members are supposed to receive reciprocal upgrade privileges on either airline, and I just wanted to make sure I didnt need to do anything to make sure I was put in line for an available F seat... she repeats "I Cannot give you a first class seat"... and then asks if I have any more questions.... seriously? SERIOUSLY??

Im trying to remain upbeat about this whole merger thing and not act like a spoiled CO Plat whiney baby... because I think eventually it will be a plus to have a larger network... but it was as if this agent didnt have the words "merger", "upgrade", or continental platinum" in her vocabulary... Doesnt bode well for this "seamless" integration...
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:52 pm

Hang Up...Call Again, there are some Agents at UA who still live in the 1980s...
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Call the CO elite line and have them talk to and/or transfer you to UA elite. They have a very convenient system that allows CO to call UA elite internally and even conference with you. A UA agent based out of the US that knows some of the current policies is key to getting anything accomplished with UA.

I do not know how upgrade waitlisting works, nor have had any experience yet. According to ua.com CO *Gs (yes grouped in that terminology) can get upgraded beginning 72 hours out on their metal. Since you booked your flight recently you should already by in line to be put on the u/g standby list but who knows about the depths of the jungle of the UA computer system. You can also call the UA elite line directly. There is a thread with the number listed. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Call CO Elite Desk

I hear you. Been in your shoes before.
Best in your case - call CO, ask them to call UA Elite desk - that will probably do the trick.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5-Star
I have been flying a lot between DEN and IAD on UA planes, and have faced the same problem. Calling the CO Elite Desk is the best bet.

BTW...You should get added to the upgrade list automatically when you check-in. As a CO Plat/Star Allaince Gold, I have been upgraded about 2 out of 4 times since the beginning of October.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rebech34
I hear you. Been in your shoes before.
Best in your case - call CO, ask them to call UA Elite desk - that will probably do the trick.
I just called the UA Elite line directly and worked fine.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by TXHolmes
... I talk to a somewhat hard to understand reservation agent
ICC Shock !
Now you know what hapless UA passengers have had to put up with for years.

Let's hope the stinking ICC is the first thing to go in the merger.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by harryhv
ICC Shock !
Now you know what hapless UA passengers have had to put up with for years.

Let's hope the stinking ICC is the first thing to go in the merger.
It is not accurate to say that the ICC is always clueless (I have had them help me).

On CO, currently, if you're a non-elite, the call center you get connected to has had so many layoffs that you either get put on hold, sometimes literally for hours, or the system tells you it is overloaded and simply hangs up.

I'm no fan of the ICC, but at least it always pick up.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TXHolmes
Ok, so I have to rant for a moment, and maybe someone can tell me if I called the wrong number...

So I just booked a domestic flight for next week on UA operated by UA, Im CO Plat, We've all seen the emails about being upgraded reciprocally, and being able to select E+ seats... so my CO Onepass number shows up in the rez when I check on United.com, but I cant select an E+ seat.

No big deal I think, I'll just call United and see whats up... I talk to a somewhat hard to understand reservation agent, and after I ask how the process of selecting an E+ seat works, and to make sure I am on the upgrade list, she puts me on hold... no big deal I think, its a new process, she just wants to make sure she gets the correct info...

15 minutes (no exaggeration) later, she comes back only to tell me that only elite members can select the E+ seats without charge. I tell her I am Continental Platinum, she repeats what she just told me... so I ask her if I am on the upgrade list for the flights, she asks "I cannot give you a first class seat"... I explain that as of last week elite members are supposed to receive reciprocal upgrade privileges on either airline, and I just wanted to make sure I didnt need to do anything to make sure I was put in line for an available F seat... she repeats "I Cannot give you a first class seat"... and then asks if I have any more questions.... seriously? SERIOUSLY??

Im trying to remain upbeat about this whole merger thing and not act like a spoiled CO Plat whiney baby... because I think eventually it will be a plus to have a larger network... but it was as if this agent didnt have the words "merger", "upgrade", or continental platinum" in her vocabulary... Doesnt bode well for this "seamless" integration...
I have received complimentary CO upgrades so you are at a minimum entitled to E+. Call back and pray you get somebody knowledgeable.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
I have received complimentary CO upgrades so you are at a minimum entitled to E+. Call back and pray you get somebody knowledgeable.
As others have said, the problem is that the number on UA's website connects you to the ICC.

If you want E+ and UDU, just call thew CO OP elite number and have them connect you to UA's elite line...after that it should be buttah...
Old Oct 23, 2010, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
don't worry some CO agents are just as clueless about recip. I was in 19C on an ERJ.I Wanted anything else for a seat. So I called, and asked for the change, no dice, CO elites only. Waited an hour, called back and miraculously the entire front half of the cabin was open.
But I agree about the ICC, it is horrible. I get a US agent about 50% of the time as a 2P.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.