Wiki Posts
Search

GA Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1PP MM
GA Mistake?

I was flying BOS to IAH yesterday. Kids, who were traveling on rewards tickets, were asked if they wanted to upgrade to F for $$$$.

I didn't think this was allowed?

Thinking there had been a policy change I asked the elite desk and the PC ladies if I could companion and upgrade on one of the kids.

Both said No way! GA said sure.

Who was correct?

P.s. Boston has stopped using the nude-a-scope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I've put my wife as a companion before when she was on an award ticket. Doesn't mean it's the rule, though. We'll have to wait for SBM or someone with more knowledge than me to chime in.

The only time I was denied from adding a companion was CLE-EWR. There were seats available up front at T-~45 and nobody on the standby list. I was talking with an off-duty employee and tried to get the GA to upgrade her, but they refused. Something along the lines of "Folks on vacation pass are unable to fly in F, period." It's been 2 years, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on the exact explanation.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The GA was wrong; reward seats are not eligible for companion upgrades.

They may be eligible for day of departure buy-up upgrades (the ones offered to non-elites, not those offered to everyone for fare difference) but then only if all elites were accounted for. Were there any empties in F?

Otherwise it sounds like something buggy in the system if they were offered such.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Question

The flight went out with 2 empty seats in F.

The GA's said that the kiosk never should have offered a passenger on an award ticket any kind (money or miles) of upgrade to F.

The GA's were also very specific that the upgrade they gave me was because I was Plat - couldn't do it if I was Gold.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mnmme
The flight went out with 2 empty seats in F.
Then the buy-up sales were offered legitimately. That's good.

The GA's said that the kiosk never should have offered a passenger on an award ticket any kind (money or miles) of upgrade to F.
I thought you said above that the GA was willing to upgrade the kids.

AFAIK the kids should have never been offered the upgrade. Reward seats are not eligible for such today. At some point in the future there will be upgrades on reward tickets, including for gold and platinum companions, but that requires a co-branded Chase CC and it won't take effect until next year.

The GA's were also very specific that the upgrade they gave me was because I was Plat - couldn't do it if I was Gold.
Were you also on a reward seat? If not I'd think you got a EUA which isn't platinum only last I looked. Or was it an M-Up?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

I'm Plat on a paid tix and had already been upgraded.

The "kids" are over 18.

Everyone(Elite DesK, PC and GA) were shocked that the "system" offered OP on a rewrd a cash buyup to F
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I find it MORE shocking that BOS-IAH had open F seats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.