Wiki Posts
Search

Food for Purchase – Coming Fall 2010

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:33 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Food for Purchase – Coming Fall 2010

Hi Everyone, today we’re announcing some changes to our onboard food menus, including the introduction of food for sale, starting this Fall. Here are some of the key points:
  1. Domestic flights under 6 hours will offer a new food-for-purchase menu. While we’ll no longer be offering complimentary meals at mealtime on these flights, this does mean we’ll be offering a much better variety of quality menu offerings, intended to appeal to a broader range of tastes and diets. We don’t have precise dates, flight length guidelines, or a sample menu to share just yet, we wanted to make sure you knew it was in the works

2. Most international flights and domestic flights over 6 hours will still have complimentary food. There will be no change to our food offerings in these markets at this time

3. No changes to our First Class and BusinessFirst menus. Our First Class and BusinessFirst menu offerings you know and love will continue to be the same

4. New entree choices coming to First Class in April. We will continue to keep our First Class menu offerings fresh. Starting Apr. 1, we’ll be introducing some new sandwich and pasta selections in First Class to complement our current offerings, including a chicken parmesan Tuscan sandwich and spinach & cheese cannelloni with pomodoro sauce
While I don't have more details to share at this time, please stay tuned for more details as we get closer to launch.

Last edited by UA Insider; Mar 19, 2010 at 5:25 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:34 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Just hit press release

BOB begins this fall

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Mar 15, 2010 at 9:35 am
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=10104104
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds reasonable, but expect to hear some screaming.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Contin....html?x=0&.v=1

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Contin....html?x=0&.v=2

$35 million benefit for CO thru increased revenue and decreased expense.

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
No one will care. I would rather buy good food than get what Continental offered for free. In this environment, they had no choice. Now if they would only get rid of COLGAN
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: Too many!
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Obviously, "meals at mealtime" didn't blow 1600 Smith away in revenue generation or prove to be much of a product standout.

Gives you a choice - I say, no big deal and no surprise here.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hard to be surprised.

Other than EWR/IAH-HNL what domestic flights are > 6 hours?

Any chance you've come up with a way to serve a hot sandwich in F without the bread being a soggy grease sponge?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
The commoditization of US airlines continues . Although, to be fair, I personally could care less.

Three quick suggestions
:
  • Please allow us to use our CO Currency for meals in the back. For those of us that don't drink (much) when flying for work -- this would be a nice bone to throw us. (assuming I ever get this year's elite pack )
  • Don't offer tuna like UA. That's probably the dumbest idea anyone has ever had. The whole plane smells like rank cat-food.
  • Can GA's please clear battlefields earlier in the process (I know that's asking a lot) so those of us that are perched at 1 or 2 will have a window to go and buy something (we actually want) in the terminal?

Oh, and while we're talking about standardizing with US () please send out a memo telling FA's to stop using the piggy-flu excuse for why there's no blankets or pillows in Y. They just sound foolish. The truth is a much better policy. :-:
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
This isn't surprising since I've noticed there aren't any more "Free Meals at Mealtime" billboards around Houston anymore.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by sbm12
Hard to be surprised.

Any chance you've come up with a way to serve a hot sandwich in F without the bread being a soggy grease sponge?
+1, hopefully the food choices will at least be better.

Also, I was on an EWR-SFO flight that was about 7 hours long, but it might have been due to winds. Don't remember what the scheduled time was.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I'm sorry to hear that "meals at mealtime" are going away. It wasn't exactly haute cuisine, but I actually liked the hot meals that were frequently served on CO. None of the BOB options on UA (mostly cold sandwiches and salads) appeals to me, so I've never bought one. I hope that CO will retain some of the hot food options that I have enjoyed in the past.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Hard to be surprised.

The three EWR-SEA non-stops today (3/15) are blocked at 6h or more according to CO.com. Wonder if those would count?

EDIT: Looks like EWR-SFO is more than 6h as well
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Hard to be surprised.

IAH-ANC is 8.5 hours.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
IAH-ANC nonstop.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: Il Postino della PWP, CO, TrueBlue, Priority Club
Hard to be surprised.

EWR-ANC? There's a tech stop, but they seem to sell it as 'one flight.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.