Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

They discussed the cheeseburger on Squawk Box this morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond

Becky Quick was discussing her flight from College Station back to EWR on Squawk Box this morning. She mentioned that she barfed on the "puddle jumper", and then complimented Continental's service on the mainline IAH-EWR flight.

Apparently when they got to her all that was left was the cheeseburger, and she said that she didn't eat red meat (a white lie...she knew that if she ate the cheeseburger she'd barf again).

The Continental FA took pity on her, and another passenger traded her his salad. She praised the service, and then her sidekick (Carl Quintanilla) said "Larry Kellner runs a really good airline".

A little free pub for CO...

Last edited by Bonehead; Apr 4, 2009 at 8:59 pm
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
why are you still watching CNBC?

Perhaps Larry will get the point that the cheeseburger needs to be *enhanced*
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by entropy
why are you still watching CNBC?...
Becky wakes me up at 4 AM...pathetic, I know.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Last time I had the cheese burger (Monday on IAH-EWR) it was in Y and there were no choices. Glad that she sound someone willing to swap.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Last time I had the cheese burger (Monday on IAH-EWR) it was in Y and there were no choices. Glad that she sound someone willing to swap.
She was obviously up front. I guess when a winsome lass like Becky (Link to photo) is hungry and says that she can't eat red meat, some poor sap will give up his salad.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by Bonehead
some poor sap will give up his salad.
I've given up my entree choice on multiple occasions to someone "behind" me who couldn't eat what they were serving due to dietary restrictions. Does that make me a sap?

Regarding the F cheeseburger, it's not terrible.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by belynch
I've given up my entree choice on multiple occasions to someone "behind" me who couldn't eat what they were serving due to dietary restrictions. Does that make me a sap?

i quite like the cheeseburger. Its much better IMO than fare from MD, BK, or the like fast food.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

...Does that make me a sap?
Of course not. However, in this case Ms. Quick was fibbing about her "dietary restrictions", so the generous fellow was taken on this one.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bonehead
She praised the service, and then her sidekick (Carl Quintanilla) said "Larry Keller runs a really good airline".

A little free pub for CO...
Even if they get the CEO's name wrong.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I dunno, i refuse to eat it based on the fact that anytime they've served it, it looks like someone just plopped it down, sprayed cheez whiz all over it and nuked it for 30 seconds.

I'm a firm believer that if i can't look at my food and feel comfortable, it shouldn't be going in me.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by fozz
I dunno, i refuse to eat it based on the fact that anytime they've served it, it looks like someone just plopped it down, sprayed cheez whiz all over it and nuked it for 30 seconds.
I'll take the cheeseburger over anything UA serves domestically.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fozz
sprayed cheez whiz all over it and nuked it for 30 seconds.
Not disagreeing it looks unappetizing. I reluctantly tried it out of hunger pangs after a tight IAH connection and found it to be not nearly as bad as it looked.

Just to note: there is a huge difference between the Y cheeseburger and the F one. I don't wish the Y one on my worst enemy. Well, actually...
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Swap? Huh? That salad comes with the cheeseburger on that route. Unless something's changed very recently, I've never seen a salad as an entrée choice in Y on IAH-EWR. Usually there's not even a choice in Y. It's a cheeseburger and a salad. Take it or leave it.

And I have my doubts she really, truly vomited.

The whole thing sounds like exaggeration for the sake of attention on the TV to me.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ssullivan
That salad comes with the cheeseburger on that route.
The last dozen or so times I've gone between IAH and NYC (usually LGA) its been sandwich + soup or salad (w/ protein) and soup.

All with mushrooms and cheese of course.

Unless we're talking in back and then yes, you get the little elementary school style salad with the cheeseburger. I think this is one of the routes they're trying the spinach pinwheel thing.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
Cheeseburger beats their pizza.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.