Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
well, i changed my SAT-IAH flight to friday am rather than afternoon...hopefully that'll be enough. if not, i'll be doing a one-way rental back to houston!

Hartmann, i remember those evacuations. we hadn't planned to leave--i live on the northwest side of town, about 65 miles inland--'cause we had a flight to china the morning that rita was supposed to come ashore. obviously, the flight was cancelled...as was rita, at least for houston residents!
Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Just moved my Friday evening flights through IAH to Thursday evening.
I was on the phone with the Elite desk yesterday afternoon when they were notified IAH was added to the list of airports for penalty-free changes; I'm now flying to IND Friday morning. My meeting in South Padre was postponed, so I'm headed back to Houston tomorrow.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
I'll go ahead and jump into the doom and gloom and speculation...

I'm scheduled to return from 2wks in Argentina via IAH on Friday morning. Right now I think I'm going to be able to squeak on through, especially now that Ike has slowed to 10mph movement, but...I'm keeping my eyes open to other options. I know I could reschedule the return, but honestly I'm ready to get back...I'm not sure my liver and arteries are able to take much more of the steak and wine and provelleta that I've been throwing at it!

Who wants to speculate on what it will take for CO to rebook me on DL or UA to avoid IAH? I'm on a D fare looking to get back to NYC.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
The Weather Channel hype has me so concerned, I stocked up with batteries, water, canned corned beef, & cocoa puffs, and then boarded my windows here in San Diego
Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:17 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
CO proved hassle and "wrassle" free in cancelling Wednesday ACT/IAH/LCH with a late Friday return, simply crediting the entire ticket cost to some iamginary pie in th sky accessible for a new purchase up to 12 months after original issue date (and even longer to actually fly).

Thanks, GOOD PR and avoiding having another pax lined up to get a flight out of IAH Friday.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
We're scheduled through IAH on Friday afternoon (MSY-IAH-EWR). Since they won't Credit Original Mileage if we change to MSY-EWR, we'll tough it out through IAH. I figure that there may be some scrambling but we should be OK.

Our next one through IAH isn't until 9/22 and they should have it back together by then.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:31 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I am scheduled for an IAH-BZE flight on Saturday...again...and I sho' am hopign that the Weather Channel is right about their Rio Grande Valley-esque hit.....although CNN is showing a more Houston route...ugh. The only good thing that I can see from that is that I would see more action. I'm tired of preparing for storms and not seeing sheit. Not wishing anything bad...but I would like to see some heavy rains and strong winds!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:36 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I was worried b/c I was in Nassau during Hanna and then Ike was headed for us. I was scheduled to fly home last Friday, flying Nassau-FLL-IAH-DTW on the 2nd flight from Nassau to FLL. Because they normally do immigration right at the Nassau airport, the schedules don't allow for much time between flights.

I was pretty upset when we were told at check-in in Nassau that the regular immigration/customs was closed due to upcoming Ike and I'd have to go through it in FLL, with only 55 minutes in between. Many people on my flight had the same problem, so we were happy to hear the CO GA call our flight up and we all DID get to go through customs/immigration there. Our GA actually led us through it all.

It wasn't very formal and we basically just showed our passports and customs paper without even getting our checked luggage out. Still, I have to give CO props for arranging this.

We did have a bumpy ride to FLL but after that, we were fine. In fact, I made Plat for next year after one of the flights. I'm still hoping that these storms will take new courses. And I'm happy to say I got through Hanna and made it out before Ike hit. I know a lot of people stayed in Nassau, not even worried about Ike, but Hanna was scary enough for me!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by chasbondy
The Weather Channel hype has me so concerned, I stocked up with batteries, water, canned corned beef, & cocoa puffs, and then boarded my windows here in San Diego
giggling aloud, alone at 2am. thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 5:30 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Direct Hit on IAH Still Possible

IAH still isn't in the clear...nor is much of Texas. This map shows all the major model forecasts for Ike:

http://www.weatheronline.com/weather...tormid=9&size=

I hope everyone in Texas is prepared ...and makes it through OK
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:09 am

Location: Cleveland, Ohio. I answer any question about Cleveland
Programs: I'm nobody
Originally Posted by chasbondy
Here in Cleveland, Oh too!!!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:29 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by theblakefish
First of all, theblakefish is to be entered in all lower case....what kind of meglomaniac do you think I am?

Secondly,I am hoping that there will not be any party this weekend, as I took advantage of the CO.com special last night and am going to Belize for a few days of fishing and associated tomfoolery, and I sho' don't want my vacation to be spoiled! I hope to scoot out of town before Ike hits and have some drinks somewhere warm with island music and sand...(although my flight leaves in the 1:00p.m. hour Saturday....not good). :-:
You and me both, buddy. I took advantage of that fare also and plan on spending a few days in the warmth of Ambergris Caye. Now, not sure what to do, grrrrr. What are you planning on doing?

I'm a UA 1k and pretty unfamililar w/CO's protocol during weather irrops like this. Will I be able to get a full refund if I choose not to go? Will I be able to book for a later date w/out a change fee for a later date? No status on CO.

Edit to add: Btw, I'd be on the same outbound as you... the 1:15 on Sat. I presume you're returning on Tuesday like me?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:39 am

We bought a very expensive generator last night...so I guarantee we won't get a drop of rain.....
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PSUhorty
You and me both, buddy. I took advantage of that fare also and plan on spending a few days in the warmth of Ambergris Caye. Now, not sure what to do, grrrrr. What are you planning on doing?
Eat some fish tacos for me.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:27 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Eat some fish tacos for me.
Naaaah, just somegood ol' ceviche will do fine for me. Last time I was there in March, I made it a point to find the best ceviche on the island. I think I had it twice/day.

Anyway, doesn't look like I'll be making it down there on Saturday. Still holding out hope though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.