Search

CO introduces new BusinessFirst seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Steph3n
So the Magazine was uploaded and put on PC magazine stack a bit early
And now they know people do read those things.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 11:26 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
I won't be there for it, but will the new seat make an appearance in LAS at during the poker weekend? It would certainly be a bit of a haul to do that. If so, and any of you are going, please report back on it, especially that awfully thin-looking foam.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 11:33 am

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by AMF in NJ
While I think that an improved Y product would be great, I'm sure they're loath to do so since they've gotten away for so long with such minimum standards there's no reason to do so. And when AA tried that more room in coach campaign, it didn't work out so I don't think the airlines see an improved Y product as a competitive advantage. All they're going to add are ways to distract people in the back (AVOD, power ports, etc.).
I was actually incorrect with the 787...I think I confused the CZ777 in 3-4-3 with the CO787 in 3-3-3. Anyway, with a little bit more research, it sounds like that 787 can fit the 3-3-3 with 737-like seat widths and does not need a bit of mathematical magic to make it work.

But, I agree with you that $ for a BETTER Y product is not going to work, as pax see only $ for Y vs $ for Y, and nothing more. An example would be UA's E+, which has been close to empty most times I've been on a UA plane--people just won't pay for it. However, if an airline can get MORE Y out of the same ship by using an advanced seat design....then it gets a little more fuzzy, since you could sell (more) people on a better product at near the same cost.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by CO Insider
What new BusinessFirst seat?
Hi Everyone, while we can't officially comment on this, you can look forward to a more formal announcement very soon.
Wait, there is a new BF seat design in development? Nobody told me!
Old Jul 24, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
Not surprisingly, those links don't work.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Press Conference Monday on the Seat

WHAT: Continental Airlines will unveil a new enhanced seat for its premium BusinessFirst cabin. The new seat, which will be installed on aircraft serving international routes, is the centerpiece of Continental’s award-winning BusinessFirst cabin service.

WHO: Larry Kellner, chairman and CEO, Continental Airlines

Mark Bergsrud, senior vice president marketing programs & distribution, Continental Airlines
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi Everyone, while we can't officially comment on this, you can look forward to a more formal announcement very soon.
Looking forward to it. Please do not fault the EWR PC staff. There really was no reading material in the PC at 2pm - the August magazine was pretty much it.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Let me add - this is the first time that I can recall in over 25 years, that there was a significant announcement item published in the CO magazine just before an official announcement. I am sure no one from CO thought that the monthly magazine was preannoucing a significant product enhancement by posting it early.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 1:12 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by cova
...I am sure no one from CO thought that the monthly magazine was preannoucing a significant product enhancement by posting it early.
...because no one thought anyone would read the magazine early!
Old Jul 24, 2008, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by AMF in NJ
While I think that an improved Y product would be great, I'm sure they're loath to do so since they've gotten away for so long with such minimum standards there's no reason to do so. And when AA tried that more room in coach campaign, it didn't work out so I don't think the airlines see an improved Y product as a competitive advantage. All they're going to add are ways to distract people in the back (AVOD, power ports, etc.).
Nobody dares for an improved Y product with respect to seats and legroom...I'm hoping to see it not be further degraded.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by J.Edward
...because no one thought anyone would read the magazine early!
It's always possible that CO didn't even know that the magazine vendor had posted it on the Web early.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 1:48 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by cova
Let me add - this is the first time that I can recall in over 25 years, that there was a significant announcement item published in the CO magazine just before an official announcement. I am sure no one from CO thought that the monthly magazine was preannoucing a significant product enhancement by posting it early.

Going back many years, I remember the article in the magazine by Gordon saying that CO would not reduce FF benefits that was published just before CO announced a reduction in benefits. I still have an original of that announcement.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Renard
Nobody dares for an improved Y product with respect to seats and legroom...I'm hoping to see it not be further degraded.

Except British Airways, Virgin, SAS, Air France, Qantas, JAL, British Midland and Eva, plus possibly others, who believe it helps their bottom line to offer real premium economy on longhaul routes....
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:53 pm

Programs: Il Postino della PWP, CO, TrueBlue, Priority Club
Originally Posted by bernardd
Except British Airways, Virgin, SAS, Air France, Qantas, JAL, British Midland and Eva, plus possibly others, who believe it helps their bottom line to offer real premium economy on longhaul routes....
I'm all for Premium Economy, but it's not what the concern is. The Thompson seats can make plain old Y more comfortable (for intl and domestic), but good luck getting that installed (even if it wasn't exclusive to DL) on a domestic carrier.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernardd
The one thing I worry about -- a Y/PE/J aircraft today pretty closely resembles the Y/J/F aircraft of 10 years ago, except today's J seat is probably even more comfortable than yesterday's F seat. I just hope companies (well, my company) don't catch on and start making us fly PE instead of J! -- i.e., PE is the new J.

Actually, my (financial services) company is already "encouraging" us to fly VS PE westbound from LHR (i.e., day flights) to save money in this environment. Maybe if they split the fare difference with us, but that might encourage unnecessary trips just so employees can collect $1-2k cash for flying PE back from LHR...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.