Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO introduces new BusinessFirst seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2008, 7:47 pm

After reading the release again, it got me thinking. Why would the screen size vary between the 777/787 and the 757? Could a possible answer be that the seat itself will be smaller on the 757 (the same seat as the 777/787, but it was shrunk to a smaller size). I cannot imagine why they would have a difference in a seat that they designed, knowing from the beginning that it would be going on the 757. I am looking forward to seeing more pictures and seat maps, as well as getting more detail!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-TypiCAL F/A
After reading the release again, it got me thinking. Why would the screen size vary between the 777/787 and the 757? Could a possible answer be that the seat itself will be smaller on the 757 (the same seat as the 777/787, but it was shrunk to a smaller size). I cannot imagine why they would have a difference in a seat that they designed, knowing from the beginning that it would be going on the 757. I am looking forward to seeing more pictures and seat maps, as well as getting more detail!
Wild guess... the 757 is challenged for range as it is especially westbound on Europe - EWR routes during winter, so in the interest of weight savings, some things such as TV screens, which are heavy, are smaller. Of course, the seat itself could be modified as well to achieve weight savings, as the new seat definitely seems heavier than the current standard chairs - which don't have huge consoles.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Very few 757s carry "heavy" designators for ATC purposes - only if the maximum gross takeoff weight is 255,000 pounds or more. I read somewhere that all 757s should be called "heavy" due to wake turbulence generated, but I haven't heard that used in practice.

Does anyone know if CO's 753s are called "heavy" by ATC? I am pretty sure the 752s aren't.
All 75's are designated 'heavy' due to unusual wingtip vortices generated that are 'disproportionate' to their wing loading.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Well, it ain't the Thompson Solutions seat.
I don't know why so many posters here started saying it was, when the article that was posted her last week clearly said the seat was made by BE Aerospace.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carpboy
All 75's are designated 'heavy' due to unusual wingtip vortices generated that are 'disproportionate' to their wing loading.
That's what I read, but I never hear the "heavy" designator being used for 757s on a daily basis, and I should know, I am a UA flyer, and am used to ATC communications piped into the IFE through Channel 9.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:04 pm

im a bit confused about the 767. at year end 2010, CO will have 26 767's and 22 772's. will nothing ever be done to the seats in the 767? It seems that's the plane that most passengers see most often.

to me the 767 is the workhorse of CO's long haul (not ultra long haul) fleet.

I understand the 41 752's will have them, but they mostly fly to CO's smaller markets and/or provide additional seats on 767 routes to the EU.

seems strange they wouldnt do anything on the 767. are they really going to be retired that as soon as the 787's arrive?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ssullivan
I don't know why so many posters here started saying it was, when the article that was posted her last week clearly said the seat was made by BE Aerospace.
To be fair, Thompson doesn't make any seats - it only designs them. Delta's seats will actually be made by Contour.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:12 pm

The thinking is that:

1) The 767's will get the current 777 seats (including the new AVOD). They will modify the seat pairs to single seats for the "D" row, maintaining the 2-1-2 seating configuration.

2) The 767's will get the new BF seat (a change of mind).

3) The 767's will be retired.

Only time will tell, but as it stands now there will be no changes to the 767 fleet (other than the previous statement by CO Insider that they will receive AVOD).
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:18 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
1) The 767's will get the current 777 seats (including the new AVOD). They will modify the seat pairs to single seats for the "D" row, maintaining the 2-1-2 seating configuration.
...and on a side note, if they do reconfigure the 767 with 5 abreast seating, I hope they do it as 2-2-1 instead of 2-1-2. More seats will have direct access to the aisle and the solo/middle seats will be a good choice for people flying alone.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
...and on a side note, if they do reconfigure the 767 with 5 abreast seating, I hope they do it as 2-2-1 instead of 2-1-2. More seats will have direct access to the aisle and the solo/middle seats will be a good choice for people flying alone.

I would love 2-2-1. im a big fan of the D seat b/c of the ease of egress and the nonexistence of a person to either chat up (when im drunk) or chat me up, when they feel like annoying me

i really really love the window and always choose it when in F. im like a little kid. if it were 2-2-1 like Air canada (old config) and alitalia and i believe AM, id love it.

and it does allow for only one passenger per row to have to climb over somebody. great config idea.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:06 pm

If this is such a great idea (and for the record I am not against it), then why are there not more airlines that use it?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:15 pm

If this is such a great idea (and for the record I am not against it), then why are there not more airlines that use it?
I think its a service issue. if the one row is in the D position, it can get double teamed by all FA's.

if its in the A or L position, the FA(s) serving that aisle only serve two people per row, where as the FA(s) on the other aisle are serving three per row. im sure it could be figured out, by dividing which center double seats are served by which side, but it seems much easier to have it in the middle.

it also looks nicer and more symetric in the middle.

balance maybe???

if you actually look around, very few airlines have a 5 abreast cabin in any class. most airlines put 6 abreast in their J on the 767 or 4 abreast in their FC.

I really think CO, AM, AC and alitalia are the few who offer 5 abreast in J.

Id almost be happy with CO jamming 6 abreast at a 22" (instead of 25") width ,at full recline, and upgrading the 767's rather than leaving them as they are.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by dlen111
im a bit confused about the 767. at year end 2010, CO will have 26 767's and 22 772's. will nothing ever be done to the seats in the 767? It seems that's the plane that most passengers see most often.

to me the 767 is the workhorse of CO's long haul (not ultra long haul) fleet.

I understand the 41 752's will have them, but they mostly fly to CO's smaller markets and/or provide additional seats on 767 routes to the EU.

seems strange they wouldnt do anything on the 767. are they really going to be retired that as soon as the 787's arrive?

I wonder is the plan to pull the B762/4's out of international service. As the new B787s roll in, perhaps CO has plans to use the B767s on domestic (including central America, etc.) routes.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:46 pm

ive got another question. sorry, but tonight is the first time ive actually seen a good pic of the seats. complete with a faux service

why are the seats config'd at at an angle? window guy is still completely blocked when aisle guy is in sleep position.

does the slant allow for an extra row, which compensates for the increased pitch?

with all that said, i did think of something regarding some of the previous posts about the aisle guy blocking the window guy.

now that there is a fixed hard shell, you will no longer need to "hoist" yourself out of your seat, using the seat in front of you, to exit. just prop yourself up on the rigid shell and hop over your sleeping aisle guy. not elegant, but very doable for most humans.

i think this design is a great compromise from a company that would not reduce seats, but is nearly 100% commited to listening to their customers. we got our cake, and we can eat, most of it, too!!
Old Jul 29, 2008, 12:03 am
Suspended

I had a chance to get a first hand look at the seats in LA today. They were actually displayed right next to the new Thompson 764 seats DL is installing in the ST stand and both seemed relatively similar in terms of comfort. I would compare both these seats to the new LX J seat and UA J seat and while each will have its own pluses and minuses, the main focus of each is to offer a fully flat bed.

I do think CO got it right going fully flat. QF is going that way on its A380s, KE is doing it with its fleet starting next year SQ is actively winding down its 744 fleet so it is transitioning to fully flat. Fans of the herring bone are going to prefer they don't have to step over somebody, while those who like to look out the window, prefer more traditional cabin configurations or are traveling with children or want to have a conversation with their seatmante will prefer the CO direction.

IMHO AA is now behind the eight ball and will need to take a serious look at their new J product if they want to compete on the seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.