Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Waitlist improvements for OnePass upgrade rewards – coming June 17th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlist improvements for OnePass upgrade rewards – coming June 17th

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
So can we book fake reservations to ensure our upgrade.. knowing "we" wont show up and ensure an upgrade will be cleared..
Old May 16, 2008, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
What happens if you go on the waitlist for a BF upgrade, say IAH-EZE
and the upgrade clears.
Then for some reason you need to change your flight to another date , and they can't confirm you upgrade for the new date so you go back on the waitlist.
Are you eligible for a refund on the upgrade fee if the waitlist does not clear ?
Old May 16, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by dmunz
"...For BusinessFirst upgrade rewards, all miles and service fees would be refunded if the BusinessFirst segment of the trip could not be upgraded. For all other upgrade rewards, miles would be refunded only when no segments of the trip could be upgraded. When applicable, service fees and mileage refunds occur 7 to 10 days after the trip.”

Ok, color me dense.

I'm waitliested on a IAH-POS RT. The outbound clears, the return doesn't. Does the above mean that the 15,000 miles for the return segment will not be refunded?

That would be a bad thing.

I'm sitting on this exact scenario in Trini on a wailist for the POS-IAH after being upgraded on the outbound IAH-POS. One interesting bit here is that my auto checkin failed so I called the service center and was told it could not check me in as I was priority for an upgrade. I assume that is because of the miles since I do not appear on the PDA waitlist.

FWIW
DLM
Ok, here's another possible issue with this. Based on my trip listed above (and the current "rules") I somehow almost lost out on my exit row seat. Basically, I could not check in at the 24 hour mark because I was waitlist as a miles upgrade. When I got to the airport, they told me it it did not clear and gave me seat 20A, not 14D which I had reserved. The lady at the counter said all the exit row seats were taken and there was nothing she could do about it. I was also dumped way to the bottom of the list for a battlefield upgrade.

If this is the case with the new system (i.e., you can not check in until you get to the airport and your chosen Y seat is not protected) I don't think this is an improvement. In all honesty, how many people have gotten mile-use upgrades inside the 24 hour window? That seems like the real change here. I would give that up to protect my 14C/D on a long 737 flight and, probably my 32A/F on a 777.

FWIW
DLM

PS, To close the loop on my POS adventure, I was paged at the gate and given 14C for no apparent reason just prior to boarding and 14B was empty. This is actually a combination I'll take over losing 15K mile on this route.
Old May 16, 2008, 2:10 pm

waitlist priority query

Mr. O'Leary,
Thanks for this update and for the wonderful news. I do have one question. Why is the fare class not used as part of the basis for the waitlist priority? It would seem reasonable, at least to me, that waitlist priority should be driven by Elite status, fare class (or vice versa), and then date of booking.
Respectfully,
Sarah
Old May 16, 2008, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by rolov
Are you eligible for a refund on the upgrade fee if the waitlist does not clear ?
Nope, hence the reason why upgrading on longhaul flights is highly inadvisable if the dates and times of your trip aren't set in stone.
Old May 16, 2008, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by From NYC
Congratulations on having money to just loan out interest-free for months at a time! Do you do this with any other companies or individuals? Why would you take such a hard attitude on people who may be a little stretched, especially these days, and looking for a little extra benefit on a maybe once-a-year vacation, and now have it a little harder? Their money is sucked out of their account with no guarantee of the benefit probably months ahead of time.

Asides from the fact that others have already pointed out that fees can be much more than $200, by quoting that amount, you seem to think folks are only going to upgrade one-way and fly in coach on the return. Oh yeah, and those people might not be flying solo, so the fee taken early really does start to add up.

Just curious, given the status you have in all those airlines and hotels, do you pay for your own tickets, or is a business you work for covering your travel? If someone else pays, do they put you in coach with you paying any upgrade fees if you want to fly BF, or do they put you in Business or First Class.

And no, I didn’t ask the question at the start of this because I’m looking for an interest-free months-long loan from you.

$200 no way more like between $900-$1800

Now I understand if you or anyone is stretched out. What I dont understand is if someone is so stretched out how they could afford to pay the extra Co-pay for BF. If I was stretched I would simply put my butt into the cheapest coach fare I could find and somehow bear thru it.

No problems Id just use a CC that has just closed so that I have plenty of time in which to ahv eto actually pay it off, if teh UP clears.
Old May 16, 2008, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
If the whole thing hasn't cleared by a couple days before your trip, simply redeposit the upgrade award.
I can do that now and w/o having to pay the co-pay @ time of waitlisting. Besides most likely it wont clear before the Gate as has pretty much been the case till now except at T-24 we are dropped from the WL as it ceases to exist.

The whole idea is still being able to Upgrade into BF or FC so, the question will be better put, if wewill be able to redposit the award if the Intl part doesnt clear and sit in coach the whole time that is as long as a coach seat is still available 20 mins before departure. Even if it is you know the Exit rows and any decent seat wont be available.
Old May 16, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by craz
Now I understand if you or anyone is stretched out. What I dont understand is if someone is so stretched out how they could afford to pay the extra Co-pay for BF. If I was stretched I would simply put my butt into the cheapest coach fare I could find and somehow bear thru it.
This has nothing to do with whether someone has the money or not to pay for the ticket. It has to do with what one chooses to do with their money. Before I could waitlist for a BF seat and only pay when it cleared. The money sat in my bank and I earned interest on it. Now I pay a month or two earlier and CO earns interest on it. I'd rather the money sit in my bank account not CO's so that I earn interest. Even wealthy people care about small amounts, in some cases (watching such issues) this is exactly how they got wealthy.

I find it sort of odd that we can complain about a $25 second bag fee or lack of AVOD on a plane (I bring my own laptop, ipod, and books) but think complaining about losing the interest on one's money somehow implies that the person is not financially entitled to fly BF!

That said, it is nice to be able to waitlist beyond the 24 hour mark for BF rather than see such seats go empty and I appreciate that new perk and thank Scott for it. But it does have a cost and CO will earn interest on not just my money being in their hands for longer, but others as well.
Old May 16, 2008, 3:20 pm

With this new policy, is it true that CO will never send a BusinessFirst flight out with empty BF seats or employees in BF seats when there is a properly waitlisted customer looking to use miles+service fee to upgrade?
Old May 16, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sarah Hanel
Why is the fare class not used as part of the basis for the waitlist priority? It would seem reasonable, at least to me, that waitlist priority should be driven by Elite status, fare class (or vice versa), and then date of booking.
When CO makes program enhancements they look at the cost and the return. In this case, allowing gate upgrades for $ & miles will be revenue positive. Many here have complained that they were willing to part with $ and miles for the upgrade but the 1 or 2 day cut off many times prevented an upgrade with empty BF seats - hence CO lost that extra revenue with an empty seat.

Now - in response to your question - maybe CO does not want it to be sorted by fare code. Generally if you purchase farther in advance - you will have a lower fare code, and the $ fee will then be higher for the upgrade. So CO gets more revenue if you upgrade on a cheaper ticket and pay the higher fee. Yes the person with the higher fare code paid more for their ticket, but CO already sold them a ticket and they already have that revenue if they fly in coach. More revenue if the person paying the $400 fee gets the upgrade.
Old May 16, 2008, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
With this new policy, is it true that CO will never send a BusinessFirst flight out with empty BF seats or employees in BF seats when there is a properly waitlisted customer looking to use miles+service fee to upgrade?
That is true. But if there are more seats open then the number on the waitlist and no employees then there can still be empty seats. The 24 hour cut off for making the request - does allow employees to check the number on the waitlist versus number of open seats and determine if they have a chance. Yes CO can sell last minute BF tickets, but that is likley not too common.
Old May 16, 2008, 4:15 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
I just wanted to thank Scott and CO for this move. I have used miles to upgrade, once. It would have been nice to have this feature available at the time.
Old May 16, 2008, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by photog72
I just wanted to thank Scott and CO for this move. I have used miles to upgrade, once. It would have been nice to have this feature available at the time.
How would it have helped you? I assume your upgrade cleared before the 24 hour mark anyway, since you stated that you did in fact use miles to upgrade.
Old May 16, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: CX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cova
When CO makes program enhancements they look at the cost and the return. In this case, allowing gate upgrades for $ & miles will be revenue positive. Many here have complained that they were willing to part with $ and miles for the upgrade but the 1 or 2 day cut off many times prevented an upgrade with empty BF seats - hence CO lost that extra revenue with an empty seat.

Now - in response to your question - maybe CO does not want it to be sorted by fare code. Generally if you purchase farther in advance - you will have a lower fare code, and the $ fee will then be higher for the upgrade. So CO gets more revenue if you upgrade on a cheaper ticket and pay the higher fee. Yes the person with the higher fare code paid more for their ticket, but CO already sold them a ticket and they already have that revenue if they fly in coach. More revenue if the person paying the $400 fee gets the upgrade.
This is not necessarily true. I think that it is only fair to consider fair code in determining upgrade priority for those who remain on a wait list. For example, co.com is currently quoting EWR-HKG-EWR in September for ~$900 in Q or ~$4K in Y. Even when you factor in the upgrade fees on the Q fare ($900 total), the Y fare is still more than double. Assuming the same elite status level, the Y fare should always trump lower fares on a wait list no matter when they were booked otherwise you are disadvantaging the more profitable passenger.
Old May 16, 2008, 7:22 pm

True, whether fair or not - BUT:

$900 + $4K = $4.9K revenue for CO - neither upgraded
$900 + $900fee + $4K = $5.8K revenue for CO - Passenger #1 upgraded
$900 + $4k no fee = $4.9K revenue for CO - Passenger #2 upgraded

CO still gets more revenue if Passenger #1 is upgraded over Passenger #2.

Plus for Passenger #1 CO subtracts 40K miles, for Passenger #2 CO only subtracts 20K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.