Drive time from Paramus, NJ to EWR?

Old Jun 27, 2007, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Drive time from Paramus, NJ to EWR?

I'm posting this on the Continental board as I figured it was my best chance of getting a large concentration of people familiar w/ EWR. (I am not.)
I have business in Paramus, NJ (near Oradell & Forest). How long, realisitically would you allow to get to Newark from there? The map shows it to be 27 miles / 40 minutes. It's been a LONG time since I was there, but I seem to remember heavy, heavy traffic.

If you were leaving Paramus at 2:30 pm on a business day, how long would you allow to get to EWR, return a car and clear security for a Continental flight? (I have my choice of several evening departures and am trying to see which one I could easily make)
Old Jun 27, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I looked on Yahoo maps and it said 24.4 miles and 35 minutes. Basically the same as your map. The directions it gave were via the Garden State Parkway. I could be wrong but I would take 17 south to 80 east to the Turnpike south, I think it would be quicker.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 3:21 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by kathnunley
I'm posting this on the Continental board as I figured it was my best chance of getting a large concentration of people familiar w/ EWR. (I am not.)
I have business in Paramus, NJ (near Oradell & Forest). How long, realisitically would you allow to get to Newark from there? The map shows it to be 27 miles / 40 minutes. It's been a LONG time since I was there, but I seem to remember heavy, heavy traffic.

If you were leaving Paramus at 2:30 pm on a business day, how long would you allow to get to EWR, return a car and clear security for a Continental flight? (I have my choice of several evening departures and am trying to see which one I could easily make)
I actually happen to live in the town next to Paramus and it takes me about 40 minutes. In the middle of the day, there should be no traffic so 40 minutes is a good estimate.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Noanker1
I looked on Yahoo maps and it said 24.4 miles and 35 minutes. Basically the same as your map. The directions it gave were via the Garden State Parkway. I could be wrong but I would take 17 south to 80 east to the Turnpike south, I think it would be quicker.
I disagree - the quickest way is the Parkway South to exit 157 and then Rt. 46 to Rt. 21 South which ends at the airport. Although you hit the traffic downtown Newark (because of traffic lights) it should be very light during the day. That is what I do just about every other week when I go to EWR.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
I disagree - the quickest way is the Parkway South to exit 157 and then Rt. 46 to Rt. 21 South which ends at the airport. Although you hit the traffic downtown Newark (because of traffic lights) it should be very light during the day. That is what I do just about every other week when I go to EWR.
I'll defer to you. You live next to Paramus, I'm in Closter.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 3:51 pm

For out of towners, we found that 17 south > I80 > 95 South > EWR is less confusing for those without GPS. There is a little airplane icon next to the roads you need to take.

At 2:30 you shouldn't hit traffic unless there is some problem. I would check http://maps.google.com for highway traffic if you have time.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
RT 21 has lots of trafic and lots of lights. I would not use it.

Last edited by fly2w; Jun 27, 2007 at 6:36 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 27, 2007, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by fly2w
RT 21 has lots of trafic and lots of lights. I would not use it.
I use 21 each time I drive to EWR, usually 3 or 4 times a month. Even though there are a lot of lights, it seems to be the fastest way. I am about 15 minutes further than Paramus, and I leave an hour to get to the airport.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Isn't Rt. 21 McCarter Hwy? I'd avoid it if I could. You can get hung up in those lights for awhile...........
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Cargojon
Isn't Rt. 21 McCarter Hwy? I'd avoid it if I could. You can get hung up in those lights for awhile...........
Yeah, in the AM but not at 2:30 in the afternoon...
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:06 am

Programs: CO Platinum
17 S - 3 East - NJTPK South - Exit 14
Why use 21? The lights and traffic in Newark don't make it worth it.

This way = about 30-35 minutes
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You could also do GSP south to 78 [east]to EWR. 17 south to 3 east to the NJTPK south works too. They are all pretty quick and painless. I've gone all of these routes. It all depends on traffic and at 2:30pm they should all be fine. I'd allow just over an hour to drive, return the car and get to the security checkpoint.

I often take Rt.21 but that is almost definitely not the fastest way.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jun 29, 2007 at 7:16 am Reason: Whoops!
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by xyzzy
You could also do GSP south to 78 west to EWR. 17 south to 3 east to the NJTPK south works too. They are all pretty quick and painless. I've gone all of these routes. It all depends on traffic and at 2:30pm they should all be fine. I'd allow just over an hour to drive, return the car and get to the security checkpoint.

I often take Rt.21 but that is almost definitely not the fastest way.
Careful, it is actually 78 EAST, and not an easy connection (yet) from GSP south. You first need to go take 78 West for two miles to he first exit, and then U-Turn back to 78 East. If you exit GSP South one or two exits early, there are local roads in Irvington that connect to 78 East. Eventually, there will be a direct ramp from GSP south to 78 East. (Garden State Bowl in Union has shut down for this ramp to be built. As if bowling alleys in NJ don't have enough problems trying to stay open, but that is another website.)
Old Jun 28, 2007, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat
have a map and listen to the radio...

A couple of months ago I spent about 3 hours getting from Paramus to EWR - sudden thunderstorm flooded everything... I would give myself more than an hour, just in case...
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:46 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnneeO
Careful, it is actually 78 EAST, and not an easy connection (yet) from GSP south. You first need to go take 78 West for two miles to he first exit, and then U-Turn back to 78 East. If you exit GSP South one or two exits early, there are local roads in Irvington that connect to 78 East. Eventually, there will be a direct ramp from GSP south to 78 East. (Garden State Bowl in Union has shut down for this ramp to be built. As if bowling alleys in NJ don't have enough problems trying to stay open, but that is another website.)

I always go this way and it's marked and the instructions above tell you where to pay extra attention. Sure is fast on the way back. If you have EZ pass you save some time too.

msv

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.