Why so expensive to Dallas?

Old Feb 25, 2002, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Why so expensive to Dallas?

Why is it so expensive to fly from Orange County to Dallas? Usually its around $434.00.

I am not flying until March 25th, returning on the 27th. The fares are coming back at around $1,200.

My company's travel web page where I have to book all my travel shows Delta at around $400 and American at around $600.

I thought Texas was CO's home turf so the fare should be less expensive in that state. They typically have been before. Even to fly to Houston, its even more at around $1700! Thats their hub! And when I search for fares on their site it always tries to route me though Detroit instead of going direct!

If I fly Delta I have no status with them and I need the points with CO. Any recommendations on making this work. I have a little leadway in pricing, but I certainly can not justify double to the travel police at my company.

[This message has been edited by Diamond Dog (edited 02-25-2002).]
Old Feb 25, 2002, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Looks like I can book a trip to Chicago connecting through IAH and just not fly the Houston to Chicago leg and get a fare for around $400.00. I then can book a roundtrip from Houston to Dallas Fort Worth for about $100.00. Coming out to $500.00 instead of $1200.

I know you are not supposed to do this. Can they catch me? Are there consequences for doing this?
Old Feb 25, 2002, 5:02 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Yes,they can catch you. And they can take away ALL your FF miles.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 5:33 pm

Texas IS CO's home turf!! Houston though......NOT Dallas!!! Dallas is AA turf!

[This message has been edited by IM4Travel (edited 02-25-2002).]
Old Feb 25, 2002, 5:59 pm

No Sat. night stay might be the reason, which makes CO a pain on a lot of city pairs. It helps milk the business travelers for all they're worth.

At least you're not going SNA-IAH -- at a $1767 lowest fare.

HP has a $361 fare. You may not get the upgrades (although I was at 50 percent as a CO Silver on SFO/SJC-PHX-IAH), but at least you'll get the miles and segments.

Another option: LAS-DFW and PHX-DFW are in the $350 range. For $100 more (maybe less), you could take HP to LAS or PHX then switch to CO metal.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 6:05 pm

have you tried any creative end-on-end tickets w/ partners?

i.e.

SNA/LAS $98 r/t on HP [1-day stay req.]

then

LAS/DFW $218 r/t on CO [2-day stay req.]
LAS/DFW $218 r/t on NW [1-day stay rep.]*

* permits routing via IAH, all on CO metal.

or, an all HP itinerary for $285.50
Old Feb 25, 2002, 6:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bry99:
At least you're not going SNA-IAH -- at a $1767 lowest fare.</font>
end-on-end tickets, same drill:
$98 SNA/LAS on HP
$218 LAS/IAH on CO

No Saturday stay required.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 10:20 am
LLZ

Give this a shot if you haven't already.

Go to DAL (Love Field) instead of DFW. Most of the time the fares are identicle, but I have on two occasions saved $200-300 by changing to DAL. You'll fly on the RJ's instead of 737, but I like them and DAL is much less crowded/hectic than DFW. They have their own quiet little terminal away from Southwest gates.

Good luck.

Old Feb 26, 2002, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Is there any ryme or reason to when they change prices? Yesterday it was over $1,000 to Oklahoma City from Orange COunty without a Sat stayover. Today I got it for around $324.00.

However the Dallas flight is still outrageously expensive.

Any tips on when to recheck fares?
Old Feb 26, 2002, 1:36 pm
LLZ

Not that I can discern. I was checking flights today and the .com promotional fares were more expensive than the regular ones....huh??
Old Feb 26, 2002, 1:52 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LLZ:
Not that I can discern. I was checking flights today and the .com promotional fares were more expensive than the regular ones....huh??</font>

in many cases these "special" are beginning to count on you NOT knowing what the ticket usually costs. it's on "special" so it MUST be cheap, right? buyer beware. good plannig usually beats these last minute "specials"...

------------------
Bad Gordon!

No Freddie for you!
Old Feb 26, 2002, 1:58 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Diamond Dog:
And when I search for fares on their site it always tries to route me though Detroit instead of going direct![This message has been edited by Diamond Dog (edited 02-25-2002).]</font>
Orange County to Detroit is $192 round trip on America West-- that's about the best domestic fare today from SNA, miles per dollars paid.

Separately, in the future, keep your eye on Long Beach to Dallas fares.... AA flies from Long Beach nonstop, so that may be another option.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 2:54 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by duxfan:

in many cases these "special" are beginning to count on you NOT knowing what the ticket usually costs. it's on "special" so it MUST be cheap, right? buyer beware. good plannig usually beats these last minute "specials"...
</font>
Sure, but they look like buffoons when the regular fares show up first, and then further down the page the .com "sale" fares show up as more expensive!

I'm really disappointed with their fares post 9/11. AA.com bugged out for a little while but seems to have gotten things back in order, but CO is still out there. They want over 10K for F FLL-SFO....I can go to Europe for that kind of $$!
Old Feb 27, 2002, 7:55 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Diamond Dog:
Why is it so expensive to fly from Orange County to Dallas? Usually its around $434.00.

I am not flying until March 25th, returning on the 27th. The fares are coming back at around $1,200.

My company's travel web page where I have to book all my travel shows Delta at around $400 and American at around $600.

I thought Texas was CO's home turf so the fare should be less expensive in that state. They typically have been before. Even to fly to Houston, its even more at around $1700! Thats their hub! And when I search for fares on their site it always tries to route me though Detroit instead of going direct!

If I fly Delta I have no status with them and I need the points with CO. Any recommendations on making this work. I have a little leadway in pricing, but I certainly can not justify double to the travel police at my company.

[This message has been edited by Diamond Dog (edited 02-25-2002).]
</font>
Now I see why you posted the topic Sneaky & Tricky..but would it work? . For crying out loud, what is so awful about flying HP? It's 300 bucks. Buy the reasonably priced ticket and stop trying to scam the airlines.

If you were flying a route with no low-fare competition, then your choice would be to pay lots of money or scam them. But SNA-DFW isn't one of those routes. Geez, if you need CO miles that badly, do a mileage run instead of a scam.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 10:26 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Now I see why you posted the topic Sneaky & Tricky..but would it work? . For crying out loud, what is so awful about flying HP? It's 300 bucks. Buy the reasonably priced ticket and stop trying to scam the airlines.

If you were flying a route with no low-fare competition, then your choice would be to pay lots of money or scam them. But SNA-DFW isn't one of those routes. Geez, if you need CO miles that badly, do a mileage run instead of a scam.
</font>
Wow JS...cut back on the cafeine or something.

I did buy the America West ticket. I wasnt avioding them because I didnt want to fly America West, but when I initilly did the search it was coming back at around $800.00. It must have been the times I selected or they may have reduced the fare? I retried the fare search after people in this thread kept posting the lower fare.

Everything is OK now.

[This message has been edited by Diamond Dog (edited 02-27-2002).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.