Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Has this changed regarding companion upgrades.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,

According to this I should've put my friend on the same reservation as me so he could be upgraded. Am I reading this correctly?

Taken from UA.com

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by icydog
According to this I should've put my friend on the same reservation as me so he could be upgraded. Am I reading this correctly?....
yes, that is the better way

however there are a number of system problems presently with companion upgrades.
- one if does not clear by check-in, the reservation will be split. If occuring on the outbound, the benefit is lost on the return.
- Additional there was early indication companion off PNR could be added to the list but that does seem to work in practice

see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cy-change.html for more
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
It is technically possible for them to manually request a companion upgrade for another passenger on a different PNR, and doing so will in fact elevate that passenger to the sponsoring passenger's status. However, post-3/3, the rule is that this should not be done for pax on different PNRs.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
That's amazing. It's the exact opposite to the way CO did it

I'm flying this Saturday. At this point should I just take my upgrade (if I do indeed get upgraded) or do I have time to have UA add a companion to MY PNR---who is now on a separate PNR?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes, that is the better way

however there are a number of system problems presently with companion upgrades.
- one if does not clear by check-in, the reservation will be split. If occuring on the outbound, the benefit is lost on the return.

see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cy-change.html for more
Not quite true - the benefit is "reduced" on the return (companion is below the lowest Premier at that Premier level, instead of right behind the Premier). It does totally go away in IRROPs or routing changes.

It is also possible at the desk to add a companion from a separate PNR.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by aacharya
It is also possible at the desk to add a companion from a separate PNR.
It's "possible" in the sense that the system will allow it to be done, but it's not permitted per the rules unless the separate PNRs were originally one. So if the agent is aware of the rules and wants to follow them, they won't do it just because two people are on the same flight.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by Steve M
It's "possible" in the sense that the system will allow it to be done, but it's not permitted per the rules unless the separate PNRs were originally one. So if the agent is aware of the rules and wants to follow them, they won't do it just because two people are on the same flight.
This is a common misconception, even among agents, and it is NOT TRUE. I have had to ask GAs to contact their help desk and every time they have gotten off the phone with an apology and an offer to put my fiancee (or whomever the travel companion is) on the UG list with my status. Not only can the PNRs be separate, but the fare basis doesn't even have to be the same.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by o mikros
This is a common misconception, even among agents, and it is NOT TRUE. I have had to ask GAs to contact their help desk and every time they have gotten off the phone with an apology and an offer to put my fiancee (or whomever the travel companion is) on the UG list with my status. Not only can the PNRs be separate, but the fare basis doesn't even have to be the same.
The lack of a clear statement (or specific listing as a benefit) from UA only helps feed the confusion.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The lack of a clear statement (or specific listing as a benefit) from UA only helps feed the confusion.
I agree. I can only think that they want to avoid, for example, me walking up to some random girl and asking if she'd like to join me in F as my companion. The benefit is set up for those actually traveling together, though enforcement of such is practically impossible.

As an additional data point, recently I was flying XXX-DEN-PHX and my fiancee was flying YYY-DEN-PHX, obviously on a separate PNR. However, I was able to add her to the UG list with me for DEN-PHX as a travel companion. [Incidentally, neither of us cleared.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.