Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1st Time using Lounge (HNL) please give me a clue!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st Time using Lounge (HNL) please give me a clue!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver Kettle, IHG Platinum & slop status in all others
Question Food for Purchase in United Clubs

Originally Posted by rankourabu
... there are some snacks, but no actual food except as mentioned for purchase.
Recently at the UC at LAX I was told there is no longer food for purchase in any of the Clubs. Was that incorrect?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:50 pm

Thumbs up Tipping in United Club

Originally Posted by Steve M
I tip $1 for every drink served to me in an airline club, whether it be a soft drink, beer, or a mixed drink. Consider that they might charge $6 for the beer if they were charging cash, $1 is just over 15%, which is about right.
I usually have around three glasses of wine and if the bartender keeps me topped off I generally leave $5. :-:

I just saw a poll in another travel forum and was surprised to read that only 46% of hotel guests leave a tip for housekeeping.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I think most of the visitors to the HNL United Club know who you are referring to. She can be just as rude to card carrying RCC members as well. She was the subject of the only letter I have sent to United complaining about an employee.
The one thing you have to learn about Hawaiians is if you dont kiss their butt, you are just a rude haole. But when you get annoyed at their lack of customer service its because you have no "Aloha Spirit" Aloha Spirit for a Hawaiian is their code word excuse for "I can do as little as possible, stick it to you, and you must be nice to me because I'm Hawaiian"
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Platinum Marriott Platinum
So I'm doing HNL-EWR next Wednesday and now I am psyched to try to meet this women in the United Club.

Is she at the front desk? Anyone know her name or candescribe what she looks like as I am excited to see if she lives up to all this hype.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by krentzie
So I'm doing HNL-EWR next Wednesday and now I am psyched to try to meet this women in the United Club.

Is she at the front desk? Anyone know her name or candescribe what she looks like as I am excited to see if she lives up to all this hype.
Ask her out if you meet her. It could make for a great follow up post.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I'm also passing through HNL in the near future, and while I was planning on using the lounge anyway, I'll be on the lookout.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Exeutive Platinum; Marriott Platinum Premier
I've been in that lounge maybe 15 times in the past year or so and have only encountered this person once. Everyone else has been very nice. She did claim to "run this lounge" when she started her tirade, which was brought on when someone else with a Continental ticket asked if there was a Continental agent available to check something. She started an anti-Continental speech about how the workers were no good and the computer system was lousy and she hated being forced to use it, etc. I then made the mistake of saying that both airlines have their strong points and that the Continental aircraft between HNL and GUM was nicer than the United replacement. Dumb move on my part.

But don't let this one bad experience impact your visit. Every other time I've walked in that door it has been great.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Rush2112SFO
Recently at the UC at LAX I was told there is no longer food for purchase in any of the Clubs. Was that incorrect?
That was correct information. There is no longer food for purchase in the United Club.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: United Gold
I've only been in an RCC after the merger, while I don't remember there being food for purchase, I do remember fresh veggies (now packaged carrots) and all types of cookies (now walker's shortbread).

What kind of food was there for purchase? How expensive was it? Was it any good? Does anyone have pictures?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
What kind of food was there for purchase? How expensive was it? Was it any good? Does anyone have pictures?
Salads and Sandwiches. There was a panini press deployed to each lounge. They had Cubano, Roast Beef, something else, can't recall. Around $10 each, usually came w/chips.

The last time it was available in Denver there was a group of six adults traveling together and they were buying champagne and food for their entire group over and over. It was funny to watch.

I had a few sandwiches over the year or so it was available. Never terrible, but you could get something comparable outside the club for a little less money. It was a higher quality BOB menu, basically.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chasbondy
The one thing you have to learn about Hawaiians is if you dont kiss their butt, you are just a rude haole. But when you get annoyed at their lack of customer service its because you have no "Aloha Spirit" Aloha Spirit for a Hawaiian is their code word excuse for "I can do as little as possible, stick it to you, and you must be nice to me because I'm Hawaiian"
Yes, let's paint the entire population of Hawaii with that description. That UC Club rep is is surely (according to you) typical of everyone in Hawaii. As one who grew up there and will retire there this year, I'd suggest you just stay away if you feel everyone in Hawaii is like that. When I move there, I'm sure I will suddenly become just like that UC club rep.

I'm sure if I visit your state and run into a couple of poor attitude service workers - oh wait - I forgot they don't exist in your State...

One thing that will annoy ANYONE ANYWHERE is a DYKWIA attitude.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes, let's paint the entire population of Hawaii with that description. That UC Club rep is is surely (according to you) typical of everyone in Hawaii. As one who grew up there and will retire there this year, I'd suggest you just stay away if you feel everyone in Hawaii is like that. When I move there, I'm sure I will suddenly become just like that UC club rep.

I'm sure if I visit your state and run into a couple of poor attitude service workers - oh wait - I forgot they don't exist in your State...

One thing that will annoy ANYONE ANYWHERE is a DYKWIA attitude.
It's best not to respond to trolls.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
When does this HNL lounge open?? UA has an 8am flight to LAX....

I am on the 8am flight tomorrow morning HNL-> LAX a trying to figure out if the United lounge is open for the morning flight. The UA website says it opens at 11am which seems strange because there is an 8am flight. The old CO hours started at 530 or 630am according to loungenet. So maybe with the merger they will merge the lounge hours???

I know the UA lounge website has typos because it lists only one club at LAX in T6 and I just visited the T7 club on Friday.

Anyone out there know the _correct_ hours of the HNL club? Want to make sure I don't waste too much time at the airport...
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The data I have from the old United website suggests it will be open starting at 5am. http://www.wandr.me/Airport-Lounge-G...ted-Club(269)/.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
The data I have from the old United website suggests it will be open starting at 5am. http://www.wandr.me/Airport-Lounge-G...ted-Club(269)/.
Thanks. Tomorrow I will see and report back if they are open in the morning. I suspect the UA lounge website is all messed up right now. Needlessly so IMO it would not take a lot of effort to assign someone in the company to figure out which lounges are where and when they will be open and make sure the web is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.