Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

OnePass shopping scams. Have you been a victim of it too?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

Now I have gone 'round the block with mileage malls before but this one takes the cake, at least in terms of how long they want me to wait for miles!

See what I mean below...
Kindly read my email chain in reverse history and chuckle at the correspondences between myself and CO One Pass shopping, then tell me if you think there's something fishy going on! (or who the onepass shopping mall director is by email, name and tel number)

SUBJECT: Re: missing mileage credit request for a non-travel partner (KMM2XXXXXXXXXXX)
TO: onepass
DATE: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:34 AM

To: Tanya Terry...

Re; missing miles

Your letter says for me to wait an additional 90 days?
from NOW?

omg

I waited 69 days to write to you and you took 26 days to write this message back

um...

NO

Faster please!
Are you on drugs or something, by asking me to wait a HALF OF A YEAR on these things?

BTW, I also have two OTHER newer claims with missing CO miles from shopping to submit. One is about to hit 60 days on Nov 16 and the other will hit on Nov 24.

I would submit them as well but I think I need your supervisor's supervisor first. That, or someone with a reality check in mind.

Had I known this were at all possible in any form, I would NEVER have bought anything through you! I have purchased at the same retailers in the past through the CO mall and via other airline malls and have then seen miles post within a couple of weeks even when one should wait 4-6!

Are you doing bait & Switch?
Yes I think you are!

Could this be how things will go now that CO shopping is all combined with the very slow and convoluted, Cartera Commerce-run MileagePlus shopping?

Step up and use the phone and make me believe otherwise!

Below my numbers. Use them please:

XXX-XXX-XXXX

if you do not, I know you are trying to scam me.
If you do not contact me with faster resolution and further information, I may have to consider going to the AGs office.
I would make it my quest to make things change for your workplace if I have to, in order to get my miles.

This is criminal.

Mr. MM
-outraged-

SUBJECT: Re: missing mileage credit request for a non-travel partner (KMM2XXXXXXXXXXX)
TO: MM
DATE: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:44 PM

Dear Mr. MM:

Thank you for contacting the OnePass Service Center.

We have submitted your request to our partner. Please allow 90 days for
research and credit. Your account will be eligible for credit if the
partner verifies that you accessed their site through our
continental.com link.

Online shopping partners award miles for purchases made online and using
the continental.com/shoponepass link. If your purchase was made online
without linking through continental.com, at a store, or over the phone,
it will not be eligible for credit. Miles are awarded based on the net
amount of merchandise purchased. Miles are not awarded for taxes or
shipping charges. Discounted purchases may not be eligible for OnePass
credit.

If you made your purchase before July 20, 2011, with your
Chase/Continental or First Hawaiian Bank credit card or your
Chase/Continental debit card, your "Twice the Miles" bonuses will post
separately from the original order. Please allow 30 days from the order
mileage posting for the “Twice the Miles” bonus to appear on your
OnePass statement.

Regards,

Tanya Terry
OnePass Service Center

Do you also have a MileagePlus account? If so, link it to your OnePass
account so you can combine your miles and get to an award faster. It
takes just a few minutes at www.continental.com/linkmyaccounts.
For OnePass program information, please visit www.continental.com and
click on the OnePass Frequent Flyer tab at the top of the page. You may
contact the OnePass Service Center at [email protected] or 713-952-1630,
prompt #4, 6:30am – 8:00pm Central Time Monday-Friday. If you are
calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, a list of local phone numbers
may be found on our Web site under the Contact Us section.

SUBJECT: missing mileage credit request for a non-travel partner (KMM2XXXXXXXXXXX)
TO: MM
DATE: Friday, October 14, 2011 2:22 AM

Thank you for contacting Continental Airlines. Your message has been received and will be directed to a member of our OnePass team for review and research.

Original Message Follows: ----
(I sent this Oct 14 and got the above auto reply later that eve)

Hello,

My OnePass number is SXXXXXX.

I am writing about non flight partner miles I hope to soon see post to
my OnePass account. I have attached a scanned PDF of my qualifying
purchase receipt for a product I bought via the Onepass shopping mall on
8/5/11.

If not mistaken, shopping at the merchant shown in my PDF would have
yielded 5 miles per dollar spent at the time, and my pre-tax purchase
price on this item was $6,600. This translates into 33,000 CO miles.

Over 8 weeks have passed and so I am now curious if and when something
should post.

I am also aware that you just recently converted your mall over to the
new United MileagePlus mall. I'm a bit concerned because Cartera
Commerce, the company that handles that airline's mall, has lagged on
posting in many cases, and I have evidence of this from other dealings
with them. I do hope things change but sadly, my experience with airline
mall postings has been, shall we say, unpleasant in some cases. So far
things have worked fine with OnePass.

The item + tax that I purchased online through the OnePass mall charged
to my Chase Visa on 8/8/11.

My attached PDF showing everything you should need for this order is
entitled, "...7k CO mall purchase 080511.pdf" It includes
receipts and even a copy of the statement page of my Visa bill showing
the purchase I now own and enjoy.

Kindly let me know the status of this issue.

Thank you,

Mr. MM

PS I did a similar purchase at the same merchant on 9/15 that hopefully
will post without issue. I have done other purchases with this and other
merchants in the past and things seemed to post ok.

Comments and similar pains by other FTers are welcomed so we can share experiences and learn more on how to best approach this sort of thing.

However, I will note that I fear that since they have since melded into being a part of MileagePlus shopping, I am possibly doomed here. We all know, from reading the horrors of UA and AA mall issues (both run by Cartera Commerce, who handles many airline malls) that they simply cannot handle their own beast. These miles may never post after all.

MM
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Now I have gone 'round the block with mileage malls before but this one takes the cake, at least in terms of how long they want me to wait for miles!

See what I mean below...
Kindly read my email chain in reverse history and chuckle at the correspondences between myself and CO One Pass shopping, then tell me if you think there's something fishy going on! (or who the onepass shopping mall director is by email, name and tel number)

Comments and similar pains by other FTers are welcomed so we can share experiences and learn more on how to best approach this sort of thing.

However, I will note that I fear that since they have since melded into being a part of MileagePlus shopping, I am possibly doomed here. We all know, from reading the horrors of UA and AA mall issues (both run by Cartera Commerce, who handles many airline malls) that they simply cannot handle their own beast. These miles may never post after all.

MM
1) Responding in the way you did is unlikely to get you any better progress in your efforts to recoup the points. Do you really think that openly insulting the people you need to help you is going to work in your favor??

2) Issues with points not posting from the online mall is hardly a new development and the problems in general are sufficient that I don't even bother trying. Just not worth the hassle. Here are a few more threads of folks who share your pain:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...shopping.html?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...eir-link.html?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...g-record.html?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ere-they.html?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh you are absolutely right, but to be perfectly honest, i already know the score here... Either i do my push push thing, which, while in reason does cost time and frustration in order to eventually find the right manager who will help, or i be all nice and accepting of their long wait and get nowhere anyways.

To that end, i actually wrote my note the way i did on purpose. I dont think it will hurt me but it may even help. For one, i do think they might even respond quicker to it. To wait 90 days more is sick. And so im essentially writing off the miles anyway. I may as well tell em what for and get something out of it. If 90 days pass and i look up and see no miles still, i could still take this to the ag office and ask if they would seriously try to somehow disqualify me just because i wrote what i did. I do not regret it but if onepass would actually use that premise, it would further prove my point.

See, now, what they should do is post my miles and make ME look bad. But we know they wont. So im going to check the other links (thanks for those btw) and also go back to my plight with aa mall, hawaiian mall and ua mall...all totalling, im missing nealy 2 million miles combined. Dont ask me why i keep doing this stuff but do know im done doing it onbany mall as of end of nov. Long story.

MM

Originally Posted by sbm12
1) Responding in the way you did is unlikely to get you any better progress in your efforts to recoup the points. Do you really think that openly insulting the people you need to help you is going to work in your favor??

2) Issues with points not posting from the online mall is hardly a new development and the problems in general are sufficient that I don't even bother trying. Just not worth the hassle. Here are a few more threads of folks who share your pain:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...eir-link.html?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...g-record.html?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ere-they.html?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
What a ridiculous letter (yours, not theirs). I would happily instruct my team to discard this without further action if I ran the group responsible for responding to junk like this.

This is *not* how to write a letter to elicit a useful response. In fact, it is somewhat close to a textbook example of how not to do so.

The delays with these miles posting are notorious, but there are far better ways of actually achieving a result than this.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by star_world
The delays with these miles posting are notorious, but there are far better ways of actually achieving a result than this.
Rather importantly for them: Even if they could expedite the processing of your miles, do you really think they want to overpromise anything to you lest they be unable to actually meet that accelerated deadline?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

there are a few hidden reasons why I posted this.

1) I know a lot on how malls work. You make purchase X, you wait the alloted and known 4-6-8 weeks to see miles, and sometimes things post in lesser time frames. Then you email in using their procedures for doing so, and wait for a reply. In some cases, they can catch it and award the miles and tell you they will post in X days, and in other cases, they may require further information - some of which you may have provided from the beginning (which I had in my very thorough PDF) such as order number, date, merchant, amount spent before taxes, etc. With this, the mall people can go to the retailer to see where things are at.

In many cases in recent months, a lot of known retailers have drastically changed relationships with these malls and many have dropped out.

Why? because they too feel something is not working in the deal they had set up with the malls.

This is a commission-based business. You--->mall--retailer-->mall-->airline. Airlines get the pour from the malls so if you ever write to the airline itself it will refer to you the mall or send your letter to them on your behalf. Their only real involvement and/or faux-pa is to have hired such a crooked mall to begin with.

Why crooked?
Well, as we have seen with many other big and small mall deals gone bad over the past 3 months alone all over FT, many believe the malls are taking their part of the previously agreed upon commissions without then paying out our part. And in many cases--especially with the big mileage postings--they are making up reasons to slow or delete the processes in hopes the customer will give up or go away with less or nothing.

trust me I have seen it and some of these cases are in court as we speak.
Outcome still unknown. AND, note that since this whole game is so strange to the layperson, the court of public opinion may never even have the time to try to understand it and thus side with we mileage mongers who are complaining.

My letter is crap. I know that. No need to remind me. I did it on purpose.
My facts and content are spot on, but my delivery is not the way to do it... BUT... and this is something consider: HOW you complain about something should not disqualify you from said complaint. Anyone who thinks I am wrong just consider this vastly different but all too horrid reality:

If a black man were involved in some issue with a white man on a bus in the southern US in the 1950s who do you think the police would believe?

Again, I KNOW that is hardly the same as dealing with MM's stupid miles complaint with CO mall in 2011, but the fact remains: The complaint is valid. Shouldn't matter how it's presented, who presents, it, what I look like, don't look like, what anything else may be. All that is true is that I am asked to sit and wait 180+ plus days--a half a year-- for something I bought in August.

Do we trust the CO mall on this? No! As corrupt as some southern US cops might have been in the 1950s, I think.

Sorry but I 'went there'

2) My second reason for writing this thread was because I kinda knew that the very first thing that would happen is that 99% of the good FT folk who commented would forget the actual mileage issue at hand and instead focus solely on my crass method of commenting to the CO mall. Incredibly true, eh? And yes, with that I could be near-ousted and/or told off in this forum just because of that letter. WOW!

Sadly, I would find that few would even go into the matter itself in some cases.

This could be what CO itself does once it reads my note and I think that's very wrong indeed.

But now I ask you all to think of this: If I WERE a corrupt cop from the 1950s and a card carrying member of the K*K*K or something, do you think Co would (A) care when posting my miles or (B) care when taking my money for a plane ticket?

No they would not. I guess just as long as one writes a nice letter and the surface looks ok, it all goes well, eh?

We all need to step back and look at the big picture.

I'll also not 'defend' my position on such things much further. I have written hundreds of otherwise 'normal' complaint letters and messages for hundreds of other things in here and elsewhere. I have also written ones like this and gotten great results from it!

All I can tell you is that today's airline/cashback/hotel/rebate malls will do ANYTHING they can--anything--to avoid the payout. I have vast proof of this, shared with others, from other big mall dealings.

Please, let us try to focus on the issue at hand. And besides, I told you I am pretty much writing these off unless I get lucky in finding the right person to talk to. But I can also assure that even if I were nice in my reply and compliant with their 90 day wait request, Cs agent Tanya Terry would most likely not even be the person who wrote back to me next time. No one there will 'own' this.

Now, with my stand-out, yet knowingly off-colour reply, I am actually more inclined to think they might.

We shall see.

Oh, and btw, I am not a member of the K*K*K or anything close to it, nor do I harbor any of those sorts of thoughts towards any person nor group.

MM

What a ridiculous letter (yours, not theirs). I would happily instruct my team to discard this without further action if I ran the group responsible for responding to junk like this.

This is *not* how to write a letter to elicit a useful response. In fact, it is somewhat close to a textbook example of how not to do so.

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Rather importantly for them: Even if they could expedite the processing of your miles, do you really think they want to overpromise anything to you lest they be unable to actually meet that accelerated deadline?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The other things to mention that may have been overlooked by many are:

1) I have in fact seen a few pretty big purchases post from the same retailer on a few occasions with CO and these posted within 4-6 weeks.

2) My purchase took place in the same fashion as above with the same retailer via the same mall link but when heading into the 8th week, there was now a notice stating that everything CO shapping is going to become a part of MileagePlus UA shopping. I know from dealing heavily with them, their mall afilliate, Cartera, and 3 people at that company with whom I have spoken to on the phone on numerous occasions, that they have their proverbial head up their *$#@ and that there is clear evidence of a scam. The scam proof comes from other dealings with the AA mall, which is run by the same people.

3) I had detailed screenshots and pdfs of every step I took in my purchase and provided all information exactly as directed.

You mention that there are better ways of doing this.
For example, I have the tel number of the UA MileagePlus director. I guess in this case I need the One Pass one.

So do you have those methods available?

If you suggest there are better methods, I would like to hear what they may be.

Have a number? A name of someone with processing power?

What would you suggest those methods would be in my case?

In the case of dealing with Cartera for anything on the AA/UA/DL/PC malls, I could also actually visit the HQ because they are located 25 miles from me. I have been there twice in fact.

I have spoken to that director and offered to take him to lunch on my dime and my time to go over my missing miles and I have sent them PDFs and material related to related mileage cases that if printed out could be upwards of 3 inches thick.

I do not get paid to do this but I should.

I offered to come in and work with them to help solve my mileage issues AND all those in the United Months of Miles promo for free--just time--but they declined this visit for only one reason I could think of:

They are scamming people. Period.

I have spoken professionally in every instance. Now I am working it this way.
Like I said, I bet I get something out of it.

The other threads mentioned in post #2 in here have stories a bit like mine and many may be from people who have not gotten as deep into it as I get.
Trust me on that.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
My head hurts after reading that Good luck with your endeavours!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My head hurts after reading that Good luck with your endeavours!
lol
thanks

Trust me I am DEEP into this sort of thing and like a dog whose teeth are gripping the end of a stick, I shall NOT let go until it comes to fruition (even if I said I would write off the CO miles, you know I'll be on em hard in 90 days regardless of what they do with my letter).

I shall post any results here too

Note: My MM handle has two meanings.

And of course, if you or anyone DOES have any solutions to please post them.

Over in the UA MoM thread I just posted how I talked with UA itself about one of our collective big promo issues on missing miles and I am later to speak with Cartera to see if I can glean more from them.

Cheers!

MM
Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Talking And I got a reply from OnePass!

See below... My reply is above theirs, as they emailed me this eve and I just wrote back with 4 attachments:

To: onepass <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: missing mileage credit request for a non-travel partner (KMM2XXXXXXXXXXX)

TO: Tanya Terry
OnePass Service Center

Thank you for getting back to me so soon, Tanya.

I am surprised, but glad for that part at least. Now, as for the miles themselves, that's another story. Allow me to explain:

I understand that your working with the affiliates/aggregates that then work with retailers can take a tiny bit of extra time, but I think needing to ask someone to really wait 90 days from today is, as you know, rather obtuse.

Wouldn't you agree?

I have sent you everything that relates to the 8/5/11 purchase and have now attached a copy of my purchasing Visa credit card statement showing how I paid, since you already have the copy of my order including the store receipt/invoice.

The attached PDF entitled, "Chase Visa Aug-Oct 2011 statements (re. 2 CO mall fail).pdf" has been printed to pdf specifically for you by me just now from my Chase Visa account and includes every single transaction, payment and other activity on my card from August until mid October. You/your associates are welcomed to contact the credit card on my behalf and confirm anything in it for these CO mall charge purposes.

Page 1 of the PDF shows the purchase related to this case: 08/08 XXXXXXXXXXXX $7,012.50
Page 11 of the PDF, while we're at it, shows my second purchase from the same retailer: 09/16 XXXXXXXXXXXX $5,950.00

I am certain your affiliates could work on both at the same time, since I have also had to wait nearly 2 months to see any credit on THAT CO mall purchase!

The attached PDF entitled, "Chase Visa Aug-Oct 2011 statements (re. Dell PC. CO mall fail).pdf" has been printed to pdf specifically for you by me just now from my Amex SPG account and includes every single transaction, payment and other activity on my card from September until mid October. You/your associates are welcomed to contact the credit card on my behalf and confirm anything in it for these CO mall charge purposes.

Page 1 of the PDF shows, on the very bottom, my third purchase on the CO mall since summer, this time at Dell on 9/29: 09/29/2011 Thu DELL MARKETING L.P. WWW.DELL.COM XXXXXXXXXXXXX $1,194.23

Realistically, I figure it is imperative to get people in your department looking into that one starting now, as it is nearly 6 weeks old already and I don't really want to wait til spring to see my miles on that either! Surely you can both understand and assist regardless of--no, rather, because of my being so visibly upset about all this. I ordered this Dell product for my mother with her Dell account but I did so by logging into my CO mall account and following through and paying for it with my credit card by following step by step protocol. Everything is viewable by you...

To that note, I have included the two other PDFs that contain every bit of information you would possibly need from me about my above 9/15 and 9/29 Co mall orders.

"XXXXXX 6k CO mall 091511.pdf"
"XXXXXXX PC (CO mall+ SPG AMEX XXXX) 092911.pdf"

Both of these, like the 8/5 one I already sent you; combined with the credit card information I am now including, contain more than enough information for you to easily be able to submit my miles to my CO account faster than 3 months out. I have put myself out there on the table for you. Should you need further invoice material from the Dell purchase I can PDF it to you too, but I do believe you probably have everything you need by now and so it's just a matter of people doing their jobs that I, as a customer essentially paid them and entrusted them to do for their commission-based earnings while I wait for my rightful miles.

If you feel getting things done more quickly than 3 months somehow cannot be done, I respectfully ask to speak directly with your supervisor and I will need to discuss better options. I am sorry, but 3 months is just not good enough and I am certain you would be happy to provide me with detailed contact information for the supervisor who can help right away! I mentioned the AGs office... I don't think either of us want to visit that route, but it has been done in the past and the reason I hold onto such detailed information is due to experience...

Sincerely,

~MM
~MM's tel. numbers

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

To: MM
Sent: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: missing mileage credit request for a non-travel partner (KMM2XXXXXXXXXXXXXX)

Dear Mr. MM:

Thank you for contacting the OnePass Service Center.

I understand that you are upset about the possible time frame for our partner to review your request. Most requests for missing shopping miles are resolved at the first verification point and credited to the account within two weeks. Unfortunately, we sometimes need to send the information through a second process that takes longer. We are not able to post the miles until the shopping partner verifies that the purchase is eligible.

Regards,

Tanya Terry
OnePass Service Center

Do you also have a MileagePlus account? If so, link it to your OnePass account so you can combine your miles and get to an award faster. It takes just a few minutes at www.continental.com/linkmyaccounts.
For OnePass program information, please visit www.continental.com and click on the OnePass Frequent Flyer tab at the top of the page. You may contact the OnePass Service Center at [email protected] or 713-952-1630, prompt #4, 6:30am – 8:00pm Central Time Monday-Friday. If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, a list of local phone numbers may be found on our Web site under the Contact Us section.

I have also confirmed as solid as one can that One Pass shopping is now 100% woven into UA MileagePlus shopping meaning it is now under the roof of Cartera Commerce, Inc. I am not certain as to whether Tanya, if she's a real person, is located at their Atlanta or MA offices. I have not seen her name before and have dealt with them on numerous occasions.

Now that I have fired off more material for them to review that does encapsulate everything, we shall see!

Since the other threads listed in post 2 in this thread do not seem to offer up any better ideas, solutions or working progress on people missing miles, I offer up this thread to be the place to get real-time up to date happenings in these matters.

Perhaps the MOD should merge them all too?

MM
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta Gold, Cathay Pacific Diamond, SPG plat.
While I don't think your reply was exactly appropriate, thanks for this thread! I did some shopping around the same time and have been wondering when the miles will post. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the delay.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh trust me, if you had the now nearly 4 inch thick packet of stuff on all things Cartera and their shady tactics all documented, outlined and organized and ready to fire off to the AGs office and other legal parties if and when they fail to post miles by certain promised dates, you too would be BULL SH*T!

Below are just a few small-seeming lies I caught them in point blank yesterday alone:

I had a phone conversation with CS director again about some of my missing miles pains, primarily those from United...

ME [paraphrasing]: "Well sir, I found myself now shopping with US AIR mall only because to the best of my knowledge they are still with FreeCause, your competitor, and not with you. Cartera has a bad track record with posting my miles but that mall has not had any problems as I try to complete tasks on the US Air Grand Slam promo..."

His reply: "uh huh..."

To my astonishment (and maybe it's been true for a while now but I somehow doubt it):

I find this morning an email entitled, "Exclusive preview of the new Dividend Miles StoreFront" and guess who runs this thing:..."This program is managed and operated by Cartera Commerce, Inc." ...right there at the bottom!

As well, I was able, as I said, to confirm that CO's OnePass mall is now a part of Cartera, meaning that if you are missing miles that is probably the reason. THEY CANNOT HANDLE IT!

More importantly is the issue of retroactive changes...

Several people (hundreds, in fact) bought many many gift cards through retailers using the UA mall. I did this with SamsClub.com and the miles posted in my UA account but when people did such transactions after 9/9/11, nothing posted at all. Whereas such things would hit in a week or two, now they went nowhere. It is now November 10. that's 8 weeks even!

MileagePlus shopping (Cartera) released a new version of its mall in the middle of that giant UA MoM promo, and then they also released a new tool bar shopping assistant too. Neither were fully functional when released for use. A software nightmare to say the least, and with little or no tracking system for any orders, including old ones.

People bought more from retailers like SamsClub and when Cartera had a promo for providing 500 miles+ 1500 miles for new UA tool bar downloads and use by spending $125 or more, I bought more Sams GCs.

Why do I buy GCs, you may ask?
I can control how I use my spending, and when. the store still makes money. Everyone (should) win. Like any savvy shopper, I buy while trying to gain savings where I can. GCs help me do so. No rule was against it when I did so.

At the time--from August til November 4 in the evening, there had been NO restrictions whatsoever on the purchasing of GCs with respect to earning rewards. In fact Cartera's site stated that people need to look at store T&Cs and the store's T&Cs did NOT restrict these as being items that will in fact earn miles. Some stores say no GCs, Sams did not.

A store could also changes its rule any time--that's basically fine. but the thing Cartera was now doing was clear:

retroactive negation.

Anyone who bought GCs from stores like Sams was in a black hole, self included. We would now come to find that the company is actually attempting to instill the belief that this was always the rule and no miles will be honored for anything post 9/9! I had bought some GCs to make the spend for the new UA toolbar promo. I received them, activated them and used them in the store, and I shop at Sams and WM regularly.

Can this retroactive change even be done legally? I doubt it!
And if so, how, why, who what?!!!!
Makes ya wanna egg somebody's car in a way, eh?

My CS guy's comment, when asked if GCs will count up until the Nov 4 change: "I do not know."

huh?
I mean, hey, he is the guy--THE person in charge of all things Customer Service at the company! And he does not know?

I politely asked him to hold on, ran up to the bathroom and grabbed a couple Q tips. Cleaned whatever wax had to be in my ears and asked the question again.

"I do not know."

Well I can tell you what I do know:
based on just those experiences alone, my flowery letter was TOTALLY appropriate. You can also see Tanya wrote me back and so I replied again with what some here would have to consider to be a more standard level of communication.

once again, we must NOT forget that it matters not HOW we get these miles. It matters that we do.

I ask everyone here and in the other threads to get ready to join me on what could soon be called the "OCCUPY CARTERA" action, whereas we basically try to get all of FT and beyond to simply stop shopping with any mall they run. That is, until/unless they can strongly prove they can get it right--and they post all our missing miles now too! I am working with others to organize this as we speak but I am not out to GET anyone... I am just trying to see things get done right, and we all know that is not happening.

What else would you have me do?

If we do not fight this crap, we have no worth when it comes to filing a complaint.

MM
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
ME [paraphrasing]:[I] "Well sir, I found myself now shopping with US AIR mall only because to the best of my knowledge they are still with FreeCause, your competitor, and not with you.
FreeCause screwed up enough at US a couple months back (to the tune of exposing them to a MASSIVE potential liability and customer service fiasco, way worse than the levels you're talking about) that they were kicked to the curb.

The shopping malls are all based on everyone getting their cut of the commission along the way. If the merchant doesn't pay the commissions handler or if the commissions handler doesn't pay the mall operator then the mall operator isn't going to buy the miles from the airline and then you're not going to get said miles. As to your Sam's story, unless you've read the specific affiliate agreement between Sam's and the mall or their middle-man then you don't know that those purchases were "valid" for credit or not. That was a big part of the FreeCause issue noted above.

Too many moving parts, too many opportunities for things to get missed and too many chances to get screwed. Just not worth the effort.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
FreeCause screwed up enough at US a couple months back (to the tune of exposing them to a MASSIVE potential liability and customer service fiasco, way worse than the levels you're talking about) that they were kicked to the curb.

The shopping malls are all based on everyone getting their cut of the commission along the way. If the merchant doesn't pay the commissions handler or if the commissions handler doesn't pay the mall operator then the mall operator isn't going to buy the miles from the airline and then you're not going to get said miles. As to your Sam's story, unless you've read the specific affiliate agreement between Sam's and the mall or their middle-man then you don't know that those purchases were "valid" for credit or not. That was a big part of the FreeCause issue noted above.

Too many moving parts, too many opportunities for things to get missed and too many chances to get screwed. Just not worth the effort.

Agreed, and guess what: I am/was part of that June issue with FreeCause and US/HA airlines. Still waiting to see what their next moves will be in fact.

that one has been a really big screw up. Big number of miles.
Some say it could be enough to retire from all things miles on, or put some entities under, should it go in favor of the customers.

Anyway, I know a bit on how these commission structures work. There are many levels of personnel involved, which makes it all too shaky anyway. It is for this reason that I am not only done, but I will do my 'darndest' to come into forums like these and help steer others away from such horrors where I can. I feel it's my duty in a way--a way of giving back from all the miles and points I have earned from forum activity!

Deals and offers can change. We accept that many terms can alter at any time. That's fine. We have to read and understand these things whenever we shop online. No argument there.

BUT, if the terms change today and yet, you shopped yesterday, those new terms cannot apply to you. They'd better not! Anyone who tries it is going to get nabbed and I will make it my quest to do so.

I read and kept copies and screenshots of everything Sams. The changes on Cartera based mall sites and on the Sam site had no language about GCs not counting. Not until now. So be it. From now ON we know, and this does not apply retroactively. Not legally that is.

Yes, all this has become way too many things up in the air right now. Enough for a small business to be bogged down with, in fact. I am pretty much done with it, but am trying to extract all miles I am owed first. I gotsta complete what's been started. The balls in the air need to be dealt with.

I am owed miles on malls and toolbars from Cartera sites:

DL
PC
AA
UA
CO
(now part of UA's MileagePlus mall)

BTW, dining with Rewards Network is happily a separate thing. I have personally had no problems with any of their affiliated air and hotel sites and I tell them so each time I call in about something--even if what I am trying to do doesn't work out the way I had hoped it would. Right now I have an outstanding mileage award 'claim' with them at one airline but I am hardly worried about it at all. Why? Because their systems are far better designed.

For FC, I am currently awaiting far too many HA miles to talk about here and now.

MM

[EDIT]: And yes, I know FC is bad too, but at least until very recently, they had been decent with posting on the US site. I am now fearful for all those who still shop there to try to gain last minute points for the US GS promo... Imagine: Cartera now runs it and you might not see miles from something that, when US was not part of them, posted in a week, but now, even if T&Cs visible to the customer may not have changed, may not post for months! And this will affect whether or not the thing credits to the GS promo! Yer basically f*cked!

For Co, I am sad too. Everything had always posted nicely there, but now that's all done.
boo hoo

Last edited by Marathon Man; Nov 10, 2011 at 10:11 am
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA/AA
more fun with cartera commerce

Has anyone else noticed miles being debited from their UA/CO accounts for activity in the last quarter of 2011 ? I just noticed this in my account today and do not believe it is due to a returned item.
Also, my transaction history is wiped out on the shopping mall website. anyone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.