Wiki Posts
Search

blocked seats on UG list?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: kayaker
blocked seats on UG list?

So, looking at the UG list for a flight this Sunday, CO 786 IAH-MCO, and I've never come across this before. The list shows seats actually blocked out in F. Is that for deadheading pilots? SMI/J going on a private vacation? I'm sure this has happened before and I've just never seen it. Can someone tell me what it means? Here is a screenshot.
Old May 27, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Can't see it

This is the seat map. I don't see what you see
Aircraft Seat Map Information
Continental Flight 786
Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) to
Orlando, FL (MCO)
Sun., May 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM
Boeing 757-300

Legend:
O - Available Seat
$ - Available Extra Legroom Seat*
E - Available Exit Row Seat
P - Available Special Assistance Seat
X - Occupied Seat
* Subject to reassignment when required by certain federal regulations
**Limited recline

This information will change frequently.
This page was last refreshed Fri., May 27, 2011 6:20 PM Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) local time

First Class Cabin
AB-EF
1 OP-OO
2 XX-XO
3 OX-OO
4 XX-XO
5 OO-OO
6 OO-OO
Old May 27, 2011, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I wish I knew how to get images to work in the individual posts, but my computer is being finicky. If you go to co.com and check the flight status for CO786 on 5/29/11, click on the "Upgrade Standby List" tab. It shows "Capacity: 24 | Booked: 7 (plus 3 blocked seats) | Checked In: 0" as the info for the UG list. I've never seen that before. What's it about?
Old May 27, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
This is from the pda site:

What are blocked seats?

On occasion Continental will withdraw or “block” some seats from being sold. There are a few explanations for why this could happen. For example, when Economy Class on a flight is booked over capacity and the premium cabin (i.e. First Class or BusinessFirst) is not, we'll sometimes withdraw some premium cabin inventory from sale to reduce the chances of an oversale. Another common example is on our long-haul flights. Specifically, on Continental flights that are scheduled to be twelve hours or more, up to four BusinessFirst seats may be blocked for crew rest. These blocked seats may not be sold or occupied for any purpose other than crew rest. The least common example is when a seat is broken and can’t be repaired before the flight departs. In these cases, the seat will be blocked from inventory until it is repaired.
Old May 27, 2011, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbluecpa
This is from the pda site:

What are blocked seats?

...For example, when Economy Class on a flight is booked over capacity and the premium cabin (i.e. First Class or BusinessFirst) is not, we'll sometimes withdraw some premium cabin inventory from sale to reduce the chances of an oversale....
Thanks! I'm guessing this is the reason, as Y is showing full and only full-fare or F class are available. I just have never seen this before. Kinda cool.
Old May 27, 2011, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Related, but differently weird

Would love to hear why CO blocks out 5/14 F seats on the fleet of 737s soon to be in HKG (2A and all of row 4, every flight, every day)
Old May 27, 2011, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Would love to hear why CO blocks out 5/14 F seats on the fleet of 737s soon to be in HKG (2A and all of row 4, every flight, every day)
For HKG routes I could understand if it's for crew rest (long flights). I didn't understand why they would do it for a short IAH-MCO domestic route.
Old May 27, 2011, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Unavailable for pre-assignment is different than blocked.

They do block 2A on GUM-MNL/HKG for the 3rd pilot that flies the turn but the other seats are for sale. I have no idea if they will staff the extra pilot ex-HKG or not.
Old May 29, 2011, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Unavailable for pre-assignment is different than blocked.

They do block 2A on GUM-MNL/HKG for the 3rd pilot that flies the turn but the other seats are for sale. I have no idea if they will staff the extra pilot ex-HKG or not.
CO seems to have an addition to blocking seats - I see they block out all of row 1 on the Shuttle America dba UA dba CO dba UA e70s (though my flight in a few weeks is F6, only 3 available for selection). And blocking 5/14 on those HKG 737s is a bit excessive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.