Canadair CRJ-200 vs. Embraer ERJ-145: IAH-DAL

Subscribe
This past week, I had a meeting scheduled with the aviation dept. of a major oil & gas company that has their office & hangars at Dallas Love Field.

So I did what I always do: booked a r/t flight on CO LFT-IAH-DAL. In the past, all of the flights between IAH and DAL were operated by ExpressJet with the ERJ-145, so that's what I was expecting. However, on my return, I noticed a "change" that as it turned out I did not really care for: a DAL-IAH flight operated by SkyWest as United Express on behalf of CO with a Canadair CRJ-200.

It had been many years since I took a ride on a CRJ. This particular airplane looked absolutely beat up on the outside complete with peeling paint. The inside was better but it was still worn out looking. And I had forgotten just how cramped the CRJ is: seated in 3A, I actually had a feeling of claustrophobia which was compounded by the fact that the air conditioning was not working well with very little airflow from the overhead vent. It was downright hot in that little airplane. The flight attendant apologized for the lack of AC and stated the situation would improve after we took off. It did not. It was a very warm flight. There was also no beverage service (in contrast with my ExpressJet flight the day before IAH-DAL where full beverage service was offered). Thank goodness this was a short flight.

Folks, my experience on the ERJ-145 vs. the CRJ-200 has been a whole lot better in retrospect, especially when one is seated in an "A" seat ahead of the wing (or in the exit row "A" seat) on the ERJ. Yes, the Embraer is not fun on relatively long flights such as IAH-ORF. But I'll take the ERJ any day over the CRJ!
CRJ 200's (and 700s) seem to be some of the most uncomfortable express aircraft. Generally, I just try to get a aisle seat. Also the exit row cushions on CRJs are "shorter" than the other rows.

Years back when I used to fly US primarily I got stuck on these a lot with Air Whisky.

I wouldn't say I love the ERJ 145 either, but it's 100% better over the CRJ 200. At least 12A (or even better 12B when 12C is empty )

Luckily you were on a real short (under 1 hour flight)
in the option between an ERJ or a CRJ, always take the CRJ. Neither are ultra comfortable, but if you're gonna be in a sardeen can, might as well have it a nicer one.

The CR7s aren't too bad. Nice little F cabin, plus they have E+, so if your upgrade doesn't go thru at least you'll have a seat with legroom.
As I have noted in other threads, if the new "United" wishes to bring changes that I think both PMCO and PMUA pax will agree that they like, find a way to get rid of CRJ200s and replace them with just about anything else!

Safe Travels
Quote: As I have noted in other threads, if the new "United" wishes to bring changes that I think both PMCO and PMUA pax will agree that they like, find a way to get rid of CRJ200s and replace them with just about anything else!

Safe Travels
CRJ or a Q400

Take your pick.
Yeah, the ERJ-145 is preferred for the possibility of a single-seat-side "A" seat versus the 2-and-2 seating on the CRJ-200......and the CRJ-200 does seem more closed-in with cramped seating than the ERJ-145.

The CRJ-700 and 900 are the "next gen" aircraft with much more shoulder and headroom in the fuselage, so window seats are relatively comfortable.

Still, I'm hoping that COUA keeps the ERJ-145 for the non-stop OKC-EWR flight, which runs 3-4 hours......it's the one-seat-side that keeps it tolerable!
Quote: Luckily you were on a real short (under 1 hour flight)
Looking at future schedules I came across a CRJ-200 flight from PDX to DEN 985 miles and 2:39 flight time which would be a long time to spend on that metal.

SunLover
Quote: Looking at future schedules I came across a CRJ-200 flight from PDX to DEN 985 miles and 2:39 flight time which would be a long time to spend on that metal.

SunLover
I would avoid this flight like the plague.
The CR2's are horrendous....
if i can snag an exit/bulkhead row, i find the CR2's to be better because they're a wider plane. the E145 is such a narrow plane that whenever i'm stuck on a window seat, i find that the curvature of the fuselage is so tight that my legs always feel cramped, and especially on a longer flight that feeling starts to grow into frustration.

but i hate both. i'm sure that both planes were designed by someone who hates humans. i haven't flown the CR9 yet, but i've been on the UA CR7's and i've gotten EUA'd every time. they're not that bad in my opinion. and if i start to feel uncomfortable on that plane, i just keep asking for more gin and tonics until i stop feeling uncomfortable and pass out.
I do prefer the ERJ to the CRJ primarily due to the single seat. I think many of the RJ's both COX and UAX look tired and worn out. Maybe it's just me but I generally think many of the aircraft I board are way too hot, especially the RJ's.

The service/FA on both have been pretty good. IAH-DAL is a short hop, there seriously does not need to be a drink service. All of the FA's I've had on short hops tell you to ring the bell if you want something.
When given the choice between an ERJ and the CRJ I always choose the ERJ. Like many have said before it's choosing the lesser of two evils. Neither is comfortable on any length of flight so when I have to choose one I choose the ERJ because it's slightly more comfortable.
Quote: I do prefer the ERJ to the CRJ primarily due to the single seat. I think many of the RJ's both COX and UAX look tired and worn out. Maybe it's just me but I generally think many of the aircraft I board are way too hot, especially the RJ's.

The service/FA on both have been pretty good. IAH-DAL is a short hop, there seriously does not need to be a drink service. All of the FA's I've had on short hops tell you to ring the bell if you want something.
It would have been nice to have a beverage offered due to the aforementioned uncomfortably warm temperatures in the CRJ cabin.....and on my connecting ExpressJet ERJ-145 flight IAH-LFT, which is marginally shorter in distance when compared to DAL-IAH, full beverage service was offered and gratefully accepted in the form of a Dewars scotch on the rocks (I miss the days when Johnnie Walker Black Label appeared to be the standard scotch on board most if not all of the major U.S. air carriers).....
Quote: The CR2's are horrendous....
Yep, I think they're right down there with the Saab 340......
So where do we put the Q4 in this pecking order???
Do we like it better or worse than the CRJ/ERJ combo?

I flew one IAH-DFW recently (cheaper ticket than DAL, in that particular instance), and liked the plane, except that we cruised at 12,000 feet for some reason, and the ride was HORRIBLE. The plane can easily do 25,000.... not sure why we chose to, instead, drag our wheels in the tree tops.

Anyhow, on the DAL run, I did a CR2 on the way back to IAH, and it was pretty bad. The old United scheme was only present on 80% of the plane- the rest was bare metal.