Direct TV price

Subscribe
Not sure if this has been highlighted yet. I just received word that the price of direct tv is going up to 7.99 on flights over two hours.

Stay classy, CO.
Sheesh...that's $32 for a transcon RT with a connection in IAH. Over $120 for a family of four!
If price increase is confirmed, I wonder if they'll adjust the discount for Chase Continental MC holders. Or if they'll even honor a discount at all?
Quote: Not sure if this has been highlighted yet. I just received word that the price of direct tv is going up to 7.99 on flights over two hours.

Stay classy, CO.
Wow! As much as I like the DTV on board, I'll be using my new Xoom a lot more for videos if that's the case!
The ".99" pricepoint seems a bit odd, considering everything else on the plane is charged to the dollar or ".05".

That having been said, it looks like CO's DirecTV's page changed recently:

Current version:
http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...owitWorks.aspx

"The service is complimentary in First Class and is available at each seat in Economy Class for a fee."

Cached version:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

"This service is complimentary in First Class and is available at each seat in Economy Class for $6 per flight."

ETA: I suppose they could also be dropping the price on flight shorter than 2 hours, since I'm pretty sure no one buys it on IAH-SAT/AUS e.g.
With all the stuff going on with Chase Debit cards, I wonder if the discount will only be for Chase Credit cards.
With the UA influence here, maybe this is the Y pax price that will be used to subsidized the free DTV for 1Ks.
Quote: If price increase is confirmed, I wonder if they'll adjust the discount for Chase Continental MC holders. Or if they'll even honor a discount at all?
Curiously enough a few days ago it seriously took me at least 10 swipes to get my Chase CO MC to register in the system. When I tried my AMEX just to confirm it wasn't the unit it worked the first time. Additionally the guy two seats over from me had issues with his CO MC and ultimately used a different card.

...just sayin
Quote: Sheesh...that's $32 for a transcon RT with a connection in IAH. Over $120 for a family of four!
You hit the nail on the head. If you look at it as a one time expense for one person on a oneway nonstop its not bad, if you look at it from a perspective of a family roundtrip with or without a connection it becomes rediculous.
Quote: Wow! As much as I like the DTV on board, I'll be using my new Xoom a lot more for videos if that's the case!
Ditto. Tablet technology is awesome. =)

Of course, the last time I sat up front and had free DirecTV, the goofy message about "time to pay up now" covered 1/3 of the screen the entire flight (IAH-FLL). It was so annoying, I eventually turned the bloody thing off. The entire system is still buggy as all hell, if you ask me.
I wonder if this is something "other airlines will fear". The buy rate will only shrink with this increase. So i am in coach it will cost me around $18 for a one way flght with meal and DTV(not including the drinks you get in FC). Those TODs upgrades look even more enticing.
Quote: I wonder if this is something "other airlines will fear". The buy rate will only shrink with this increase. So i am in coach it will cost me around $18 for a one way flght with meal and DTV(not including the drinks you get in FC). Those TODs upgrades look even more enticing.
The buy rate will go down, but profit could still go up.

Dont they pay $2 to Direct TV for each order? So currently profit is $2 (Chase) to $4 (actually less because they pay for CC processing). With the increase that goes to $4-$6 (a 50%-100% increase). If sales only go down by say 25% they are in MUCH better shape (Direct TV of course makes less money).
I wonder if the price hike has anything to do with CO's announced wifi on DTV-equipped aircraft?
I always find it strange when companies raise the prices for a service that I already think is too overpriced for me to pay for.

I wouldn't pay $6 per flight segment, so perhaps I'll pay $8? Or is the service so popular with flyers that CO feels it's underpriced? Not sure what's going on here.
Quote: I always find it strange when companies raise the prices for a service that I already think is too overpriced for me to pay for.

I wouldn't pay $6 per flight segment, so perhaps I'll pay $8? Or is the service so popular with flyers that CO feels it's underpriced? Not sure what's going on here.
I think $4/$6 is a great deal on the transcons out of EWR. Definitely wouldn't pay $8 though.