Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Direct TV price

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:25 pm

I found it funny last week when the EWR to BOS flight had the "free preview" right up through final approach. Flight attendants took their seats, and then the screens all went blue asking for six bucks when we were no more than 120 seconds from touchdown. Great revenue generator if I've ever seen one.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by perezoso
Have never and will never pay a dime, much less 80 of them. And I loathe all the wheedling (last chance!) and flashing screens on DTV flights. I so wish that DTV would go the way of the GTE Air Phone.

I would still pay five bucks for decent internet on long haul...
Good look with $5 wifi on a long haul. More like $8-12, maybe even more.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Good look with $5 wifi on a long haul. More like $8-12, maybe even more.
GoGo has variable pricing by flight segment, but their monthly option is some like $29.95 (single carrier) to $34.95 (multi carrier).

So if you're a high frequency flyer, you can easily get it down to $5/flight with one of those options.

In addition to the whole DTV fee being uncompetitive, the pricing model is rather inflexible. In this day and age where people pay different prices for the same thing, it's really surprising to see that CO doesn't offer different price options (e.g., connecting flight pack -- four (4) flights for $20; monthly pass for $30; bundles; etc.).
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Why is it a Sofie's choice between TV and Internet?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AF FB silver
Originally Posted by mikew99
I always find it strange when companies raise the prices for a service that I already think is too overpriced for me to pay for.

I wouldn't pay $6 per flight segment, so perhaps I'll pay $8? Or is the service so popular with flyers that CO feels it's underpriced? Not sure what's going on here.
I totally agree... with the excuse of DTV the free movie is disappearing on domestic and regional routes... and in my last regional trips I saw no more than 5% of passengers watching DTV...
Old Apr 17, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by perezoso
... And I loathe all the wheedling (last chance!) and flashing screens on DTV flights.

...I would still pay five bucks for decent internet on long haul...
+1 ^ on both points. I'm surprised how many people leave the screen on the whole flight with the movie trailers showing over and over again. First thing after the security briefing, I turn the monitor off.

For those of you who don't know where the "off" switch is, you press down on the button that lowers the screen resolution untill the screen cuts off.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
+1 ^ on both points. I'm surprised how many people leave the screen on the whole flight with the movie trailers showing over and over again. First thing after the security briefing, I turn the monitor off.
Because it's not intuitive. If there were a simple off button, I'm sure more people would turn it off.

For those of you who don't know where the "off" switch is, you press down on the button that lowers the screen resolution untill the screen cuts off.
Exactly. No other screen-based device I own or use has an "off" switch like that.

Hitting brightness down until the screen fades out is their way of technically providing "off"-like functionality but deliberately making less likely that people will figure it out so that the ads stay on.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
When I saw the headline for this thread I thought "oh, great, they finally realized their incremental costs is minimal and they are going to lower the price and go for volume"... surprise for me.

Originally Posted by mikew99
I always find it strange when companies raise the prices for a service that I already think is too overpriced for me to pay for.

I wouldn't pay $6 per flight segment, so perhaps I'll pay $8? Or is the service so popular with flyers that CO feels it's underpriced? Not sure what's going on here.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by eastcoastcan
When I saw the headline for this thread I thought "oh, great, they finally realized their incremental costs is minimal and they are going to lower the price and go for volume"... surprise for me.
At 3 bucks, I would pay on almost every flight. 6-8, never.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Fee Not to Watch?

Maybe they'll charge a $2 fee to turn-off the display if you're not watching it?

CO made the wrong decision to deploy DirectTV in planes instead of WiFi from the get-go. People are going to consume media through their tablets/phones/notebooks...and as broadband increases and technology costs go down, those DirectTVs will become used much less if at all.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
CO made a good decision to deploy DirectTV in planes instead of WiFi from the get-go. People are going to consume internet once they get off the plane and will enjoy the break from being tethered...and as technology costs go down, those DirectTVs will become better utilized by those who want a break from the internet.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gawhite411
Not sure if this has been highlighted yet. I just received word that the price of direct tv is going up to 7.99 on flights over two hours.

Stay classy, CO.
I just got off a flight and the Direct TV promo now has these prices
Old Apr 17, 2011, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Maybe they'll charge a $2 fee to turn-off the display if you're not watching it?

CO made the wrong decision to deploy DirectTV in planes instead of WiFi from the get-go. People are going to consume media through their tablets/phones/notebooks...and as broadband increases and technology costs go down, those DirectTVs will become used much less if at all.

I don't think CO made such a bad decision as folks think here.

At the time when asked DTV or WiFi, I remember replying...why not both? At the time LiveTV had promised CO a WiFi product on the horizon. So CO really thought they had the best of both worlds, with an opportunity of a wait-and-see as DL aggressively rolled out GoGo.

Unfortunately for CO and their pax, the LiveTV WiFi product didn't come to market.

As for tablets...they're really a more recent product offering that consumers have just begun to embrace. So it's tough to criticize CO when the tablet didn't even come out at that time.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by IAHMCI
I just got off a flight and the Direct TV promo now has these prices
Still with CO MC discount?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Well, the issue is more A) that CO management thought WiFi was less important than entertainment which they could still easily provide via their state-of-the-art overhead screens. B) that they implemented a pricing model that ensured that the vast majority of flights would be overpriced for most people. $3 for EWR-FLL is probably fair. $6 isn't, 8 certainly isn't.

Its certainly not the most hare-brained move they made (IMHO counting on the super risky 787 as the sole widebody to expand with was) but its something that passengers see and get upset about every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.