Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Checked bag fees for Chase Debit Card members begin 4/1/11

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium

I was just looking at CO.com today and noticed this:

The fee waiver for checked bags in conjunction with the Continental Airlines Debit MasterCard will not be valid for travel on or after April 1, 2011.

It doesn't look like the bag-fee waiver is going away for Credit Card holders at this time.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...ase/debit.aspx
Old Dec 16, 2010, 2:55 pm

See this thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ebit-card.html

Also, from what other people have posted, it's related to the possible banking change where the feds are going to limit the fees associated with debit cards. See this link today from the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...16-713515.html
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:49 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
April fool's?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
And an Annual Fee of $85?
I'm not paying that much currently.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CLG
April fool's?
Nope. This is real and has been discussed a few times already:
Originally Posted by armattheus
And an Annual Fee of $85?
I'm not paying that much currently.
Indeed. The current rates are $25/$65 for the 2:1 or 1:1 cards IIRC.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
That was my favorite perk, beyond the miles. Adios CO debit card.
I never check bags but it was nice knowing that for that $25 fee I wouldn't have to pay at the airport.

Suck it $mi$ek.....and Chase if it's their fault.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Just curious since the debit card was brought up: I was considering changing banks from Wells Fargo to Chase. As a Plat Elite, is there any benefit to my CO miles account for using a Chase "debit" card?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by thaliajen
Just curious since the debit card was brought up: I was considering changing banks from Wells Fargo to Chase. As a Plat Elite, is there any benefit to my CO miles account for using a Chase "debit" card?
Just miles for the purchases you normally wouldn't use a Credit card for but would a debit. like Coffee or Gas.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:34 am

Programs: One Pass Silver, UA Premier
Are they still giving 25k miles for signing up? And if so will the offer still be good in January? I'm abroad right now, but would like 25k miles, even if I have to cancel the debit card after a few months.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:51 am
RNE

Originally Posted by thaliajen
Yes. The bonus miles would be a benefit to you (assuming you qualify, i.e. don't already have a Chase checking account and have not had one "too recently"—nobody knows how recently is too recently.) See my response below. You're welcome.

Originally Posted by c1ue1ess88
Are they still giving 25k miles for signing up? And if so will the offer still be good in January? I'm abroad right now, but would like 25k miles, even if I have to cancel the debit card after a few months.
The 25,000 bonus miles offer is still available (through December 31, and Chase have been routinely extending that deadline—though there's no guarantee that practice will continue.) My statuesque wife just opened an account. She had to deposit $100 in "new" money (so I printed it in our basement forgery shop).

Keep in mind that under current conditions (which can and have changed) you'll have to keep the account open for at least three months to avoid a $25 penalty and six months to avoid forfeiture of 10,000 of the 25,000 miles. This half-year sentence can be somewhat annoying because of the $6/month checking account maintenance fee. Avoiding it requires establishing direct deposit or five debit card transactions per month. (Remember to always select "credit" not "debit" when using your debit card.) The purchases don't have to be large, mind you. My wife avoids the fee by purchasing five <$1 Kindle books each month. She will push through less than $30 in six months. Good luck making any merchant fees on us, Chase, you sucker!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: One Pass Silver, UA Premier
Originally Posted by RNE
Good luck making any merchant fees on us, Chase, you sucker!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by RNE
This half-year sentence can be somewhat annoying because of the $6/month checking account maintenance fee. Avoiding it requires establishing direct deposit or five debit card transactions per month. (Remember to always select "credit" not "debit" when using your debit card.)
In the very near future (February or April, I believe) the Direct Deposit approach will require a $500+ deposit each month. This will likely affect folks who have historically used something like a paypal transfer which can show up as an ACH.

To fulfill my 5 monthly transactions I generally go for a metrocard. Something I was going to buy anyways and low cost.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus.
FWIW, PIN Debit purchases will let you avoid the $6 service charge. You just don't get any miles for them.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Dash51
FWIW, PIN Debit purchases will let you avoid the $6 service charge. You just don't get any miles for them.
Or make them as non-PIN purchases, earn awards and avoid the fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.