Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to tahiti using onepass miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2010, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Getting to tahiti using onepass miles?

Hi all!

I've been trying to figure this out, but I'm a bit stuck. Anyone have any tricks or tips.

The beach is calling.

Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2010, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
First, the only Star Alliance service to Tahiti is Auckland - Papeete. That means from the US you first have to fly to Auckland, and the AKL-PPT flight isn't even daily (IIRC it's 3x weekly). Air New Zealand used to fly LAX-PPT, sadly no longer.

CO miles are great, IMHO more desirable than any other US program, but not great for getting to PPT.

Second, you probably already know this but you don't actually want to spend time on the beaches of Tahiti. You'll want to get out to the other islands as quickly as possible
Old Sep 5, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Do you also have AAdvantage miles? I see that you are willing to use DL Skymiles and UA Mileage Plus miles for your Tahiti trip as well. I recently redeemed AA miles for two tickets on Air Tahiti.

Air New Zealand codeshares with Air Tahiti so you might try calling onepass and see if they can book a NZ ticket operated by TN.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by galaxygrrl
Hi all!

I've been trying to figure this out, but I'm a bit stuck. Anyone have any tricks or tips.

The beach is calling.

Thanks!
From the U.S., three airlines serve Papeete, Tahiti (PPT).

Air Tahiti Nui and Air France fly nonstop to/from LAX while Hawaiian flies nonstop to/from HNL.

Air France is a member of SkyTeam so you should be able to use DL Skymiles if you have them.

Air Tahiti Nui also allows one to redeem DL Skymiles as well as AA AAdvantage miles for travel to/from PPT.

It appears at the present time you may not be able to use OnePass miles for travel to Tahiti. Air New Zealand, a Star Alliance carrier, served Papeete at one point but I think they now codeshare with Air Tahiti Nui for all service to/from Tahiti.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks every....alas I do not have AA miles, but I do Delta, so Air France out of LA should work given I'm in SF.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by galaxygrrl
Thanks every....alas I do not have AA miles, but I do Delta, so Air France out of LA should work given I'm in SF.
As mentioned, your DL Skymiles can also be used on Air Tahiti Nui (TN). So if you cannot find availability on AF, you can always check out TN. I've flown A340 biz class on TN and it's not bad.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by RxCapt
Do you also have AAdvantage miles? I see that you are willing to use DL Skymiles and UA Mileage Plus miles for your Tahiti trip as well. I recently redeemed AA miles for two tickets on Air Tahiti.

Air New Zealand codeshares with Air Tahiti so you might try calling onepass and see if they can book a NZ ticket operated by TN.
The codeshare thing for the NZ/TN flight won't work. You cannot redeem on a partner of a partner.

On the DL side, remember that AS is a partner, too, so you can likely use them to get down to LAX and then onward to PPT on AF.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
With the partnership with Hawaiian Air, can we redeem miles with them?

Mainland-HNL-PPT?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
With the partnership with Hawaiian Air, can we redeem miles with them?

Mainland-HNL-PPT?
I know that earning on HA flights can only happen for inter-island, not to other destinations. I am almost certain the same is true for redemption based on this line on the award chart:
SaverPass rewards may be redeemed for flights operated by Continental, Continental Micronesia, Continental Express, Continental Connection, Copa Airlines (including flights operated by Aero República), Star Alliance member carriers, plus Virgin Atlantic, Emirates, and Continental
Codeshares operated by Amtrak, Cape Air and SNCF French Rail. Add-on options are also available with Hawaiian Airlines and Island Air.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With regard to travel on HA, I believe OnePass miles can only be used for interisland flights.
For example, it appears you cannot use CO miles for travel on HA from the U.S. west coast to PPT via HNL.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
Remove PPT from the *(&# map!

Trying to plan a honeymoon and the CO map (at least before the Hemispheres edition) lists Papeete as a city served by select airline partners. Liars!

Stupid Egypt issues made me cancel BF rewards to CAI and free rooms with Hilton. Still trying to find a better CO/HH reward combination.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:37 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
error
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by sailanacra
Trying to plan a honeymoon and the CO map (at least before the Hemispheres edition) lists Papeete as a city served by select airline partners. Liars!
You can use OP miles to fly AKL-PPT on NZ.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by sailanacra

Stupid Egypt issues made me cancel BF rewards to CAI and free rooms with Hilton. Still trying to find a better CO/HH reward combination.
Take a deep breath... no one lied to you. NZ serves PPT twice weekly from their hub in AKL. The flights are numbered NZ40/41, and the service is on a 763.

check the star alliance timetable for specific days/times.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
Sorry....was actually being more sarcastic than mad. Just frustrating trying to plan honeymoon and all since I thought I had it all worked out. When I checked earlier, the NZ flights were actually codeshared Air Tahiti Nui. I'll see if I can turn in some miles for those flights. I'll update if I can.

Sail a Nacra

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.